A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

53 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think we're going to see this a lot more going forward. More studios standing up to the former behemoth Marvel and placing their big tentpoles directly against any given Marvel movie. As a Marvel movie ironically said, when you make god bleed people stop believing in him.

Beetlejuice is many things, a tentpole is not one of them.

57 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think we're going to see this a lot more going forward. More studios standing up to the former behemoth Marvel and placing their big tentpoles directly against any given Marvel movie. As a Marvel movie ironically said, when you make god bleed people stop believing in him.

I mean the more likely scenario is that Blade just isn't making that date because they delayed production due to the strike. But go off I guess.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I know they normally aren't reliable, but GiantFreakinRobot, who were the first to report that Justin Theroux was in the movie, are now saying that Willem Dafoe is going to play a ghostly cop.

Even at this point in Burton's career, him and Dafoe teaming up is something I'm intrigued by (that, and Dafoe's never let me down in anything he's been in), so I really hope this is true.

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly when a studio hits a rough patch, people on here tend to go OTT and it's tiresome.

Most people here, as you have said have no idea of how businesses work in real world. Every Business goes through rough patches.

It goes both ways, though. You have people who don't want to admit that CBM are simply not as popular as they once were. Oh, you will have the occasional SMNWH that will be huge,but as a whole CBM are not going to make the kind of money they have in the past.Still a popular genre, but I think they are not going to domnate the way they once did.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Even at this point in Burton's career, him and Dafoe teaming up is something I'm intrigued by (that, and Dafoe's never let me down in anything he's been in), so I really hope this is true.

Beetlejuice was really Burton's first big hit. The Peewee Herman film was a sucess but Bettlejuice was his first big box office hit.

Maybe going back to his roots will be good for him. IMHO Burton has been on the downgrade for a long time. 

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Most people here, as you have said have no idea of how businesses work in real world. Every Business goes through rough patches.

It goes both ways, though. You have people who don't want to admit that CBM are simply not as popular as they once were. Oh, you will have the occasional SMNWH that will be huge,but as a whole CBM are not going to make the kind of money they have in the past.Still a popular genre, but I think they are not going to domnate the way they once did.

Superhero films are basically at the stage where they were in the 2000s with varying degrees of success, for every Spider-Man or Batman you get a Ghost Rider. 

Saying that, the idea that studios aren't afraid of Marvel is dumb. No studio is going to put an expensive movie that appeals to the same audience on the same day as a MCU film, maybe if it's something that is female skewing like a Mamma Mia! or something relatively cheap but not something that could easily come out at a later date.  

54 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Superhero films are basically at the stage where they were in the 2000s with varying degrees of success, for every Spider-Man or Batman you get a Ghost Rider. 

Saying that, the idea that studios aren't afraid of Marvel is dumb. No studio is going to put an expensive movie that appeals to the same audience on the same day as a MCU film, maybe if it's something that is female skewing like a Mamma Mia! or something relatively cheap but not something that could easily come out at a later date.  

I also got a feeling that Star Wars will never be the 1000 pound gorilla it once was.

I think it iwll b e like the 007 series, still very popular, very profitible, but not a massive presence like it once was.

tbh- I think it's guys like Burton who were hurt the most by the death of the non-IP mid-budget film. 

Hollywood has slowly turned into a place where you either have original movies that cost basically no money and that you have to break your back making (especially if they're high-concept) or insanely expensive IP blockbusters.

The whole point of the mid-budget movie was to have a place where you could have most of the production comforts of a blockbuster but without the huge budget-bloating need for stunts/effects etc. 

Like, people have forgotten that a mid-budget movie looks more like Beetlejuice (roughly $40 million, today) than Everything Everywhere All At Once ($14 million). 

So while a guy like Burton could work 22-hour shooting days to get a movie done in 4 weeks doing all his own special effects with some buddies... it probably isn't happening. 

He's not alone either, there are so many great 80/90s studio talents Sonnenfeld/Noyce/Campbell etc who haven't even been lucky enough to get offered the big soulless IP gigs. 

• Like 2