A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

On 5/12/2023 at 2:35 AM, Krissykins said:

I know, how ridiculous!

Catherine O’Hara is a queen. 

Until her sweep of the TV Actress awards for Schitt's Creek, very underated. Her sweep was impressive, I think she took every major Award for her performance as Moira Rose.

She was yet another product of Second City Television along with John Candy and several SNL members.

Nice to see her work for Burton again; aside from "Beetlejuice" she was the voice of Sally the Ragdoll in "Nightmare Before Chiristmas".

And she is verstile, as her Mother from Hell in "Beetlejuice" and her Mother we all want in "Home Alone" shows.

"[Burton] and I were talking about it years and years ago, never telling anybody. I said, ‘if it happens, first of all, we’ve both said we’re doing it many times. We both agreed, if it happens, it has to be done as close to the way we made it the first time. Making stuff up, making stuff happen, improvising and riffing, but literally handmade stuff like people creating things with their hands and building something. F--kin’ great. It’s the most fun I’ve had working on a movie in I can’t tell you how long."

Michael Keaton Talks The ‘Handmade’ Feel Of Beetlejuice 2 | Movies | Empire (empireonline.com)

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 7:24 PM, ddddeeee said:

"[Burton] and I were talking about it years and years ago, never telling anybody. I said, ‘if it happens, first of all, we’ve both said we’re doing it many times. We both agreed, if it happens, it has to be done as close to the way we made it the first time. Making stuff up, making stuff happen, improvising and riffing, but literally handmade stuff like people creating things with their hands and building something. F--kin’ great. It’s the most fun I’ve had working on a movie in I can’t tell you how long."

Michael Keaton Talks The ‘Handmade’ Feel Of Beetlejuice 2 | Movies | Empire (empireonline.com)

Hopefully this is Burton's Mad Max Fury Road and he recaptures what he once loved for from the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

You’ve got several other movies coming out, one being Tim Burton’s “Beetlejuice 2.” Can you talk to me about working with Burton and reveal what character you play? 

I haven’t seen any footage yet, but it was fun to do. I play a police officer in the afterlife, so I’m a dead person. And in life I was a B-movie action star, but I had an accident and that’s what sent me to the other side. But because of my skills, I became a detective character in the afterlife. So that’s my job. But it’s colored by the fact of who I was [when I was alive]: a B movie action star. 

Willem Dafoe Talks 'Poor Things,' Reveals Role in 'Beetlejuice 2'<strong> </strong> (variety.com)

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Thanks 1

If this looks decent and ends up being half-decent I think it has real top 5 of the year potentially (domestically at least). Beetlejuice is in that Top Gun zone of being an iconic property everyone knows and loves but has not been overdone in the decades since. I doubt this is half as crowdpleasing as Maverick was (Burton's been juiceless for several years now), but this is one of the few releases next year that I could see opening to over $100M - again, with the right circumstances. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

If this looks decent and ends up being half-decent I think it has real top 5 of the year potentially (domestically at least). Beetlejuice is in that Top Gun zone of being an iconic property everyone knows and loves but has not been overdone in the decades since. I doubt this is half as crowdpleasing as Maverick was (Burton's been juiceless for several years now), but this is one of the few releases next year that I could see opening to over $100M - again, with the right circumstances. 

It has all the ingredients for a big hit, of course...as long as the movie turns out well and connects with audiences.  Tim Burton has had very few flops, and of course this property is one of his most well-known and loved, rumored for a return for years.  With Ortega in the bag, the sky is the limit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1