filmscholar

Will there ever be a BILLION DOLLAR R-rated Film??? - JOKER DOES IT!!!!

I don't know, The Matrix was hitting every demographic. Kids were sneaking into Reloaded to see it. It was the last Pop Culture R-rated film we had as far as Blockbuster domestic and worldwide. Look at my Top 10 List, everything is mostly 500 and under. Only Reloaded and Passion got close to a Billion. Passion was a drama, and The Hangover isn't that big worldwide like most American Comedies. I think "Prometheus 2" has a strong chance to increase over the 1st one but I don't see 1 Billion for it. Right now it's Matrix 4 in 3D or bust.

No chance in hell a Prometheus sequel does a billion unless it gets like a 97% on RT. Opening above the first is probably a stretch too.I think Cloud Atlas has a better shot at a billion than a Matrix sequel. People aren't crazy about the franchise anymore. The third one's performance is evidence enough.. Edited by tribefan695

No chance in hell a Prometheus sequel does a billion unless it gets like a 97% on RT. Opening above the first is probably a stretch too.I think Cloud Atlas has a better shot at a billion than a Matrix sequel. People aren't crazy about the franchise anymore. The third one's performance is evidence enough..

Different factors played into the third's performance, it just wasn't franchise fatigue.

Different factors played into the third's performance, it just wasn't franchise fatigue.

Well, forgive me for not having faith in the Wachowskis to somehow make a new sequel whose quality is the same or better than that of the first Matrix.

Now that I think about it, Titanic re-release was rated PG-13 too, right? So I guess if it was released now, it would still be rated PG-13.I didn't watch the re-release in theaters, do any of you know if they removed the boob scene?

They didn't.

Mad Max never did gangbusters at the box office. Plus it had Mel. I like Tom Hardy but he's not the biggest draw just yet. Inflation will make it bigger than the Mel ones but it's not sniffing 1 Billion.

Could compare to TL, it increased over its predecessor by by 139M. Same could happen with FR.

No chance in hell a Prometheus sequel does a billion unless it gets like a 97% on RT. Opening above the first is probably a stretch too.I think Cloud Atlas has a better shot at a billion than a Matrix sequel. People aren't crazy about the franchise anymore. The third one's performance is evidence enough..

The Matrix is still a popular series, Yes the 3rd one dropped but it was released in the same year as the sequel, colletively they grossed 1.1 Billion in 2003. It's been over a decade and people have had time and the series have done very well on Home Video. There is no way Cloud Atlas would be more popular Than a Matrix 4 in 3D with Keanu and Fishburne returing are you kidding? We are 4 months out from CA and there isn't even a trailer and a lot of people don't even know about it just yet. Just the hype of everyone coming back with 2012 effects people would line up for another Matrix film in a heartbeat. People are sleeping on how big another Matrix film can be. Edited by filmscholar

The Matrix is still a popular series, Yes the 3rd one dropped but it was released in the same year as the sequel, colletively they grossed 1.1 Billion in 2003. It's been over a decade and people have had time and the series have done very well on Home Video. There is no way Cloud Atlas would be more popular Than a Matrix 4 in 3D with Keanu and Fishburne returing are you kidding? Just the hype of everyone coming back with 2012 effects. People are sleeping on how big another Matrix film can be.

Not me, if the cast comes back and like you said 2012 effects (will be 2014+) would be MONSTROUS.
  • Like 1

The Matrix is still a popular series, Yes the 3rd one dropped but it was released in the same year as the sequel, colletively they grossed 1.1 Billion in 2003. It's been over a decade and people have had time and the series have done very well on Home Video. There is no way Cloud Atlas would be more popular Than a Matrix 4 in 3D with Keanu and Fishburne returing are you kidding? Just the hype of everyone coming back with 2012 effects. People are sleeping on how big another Matrix film can be.

Keanu? He's not a draw anymore, if he ever really was. The biggest thing he's done since 2003 is a mediocre remake of a 50s scifi that didn't even break $100 million domestic.

I don't have any faith that a new Matrix movie could somehow reverse all the badwill that the second and especially the third caused to the franchise. They'd have to earn their fans back all over again. If they do, maybe a fifth movie could hit a billion, but not a fourth. I mean, look at how Men in Black 3's doing with much bigger starpower: Just slightly better than what the second did a decade ago.

Edited by tribefan695

Mad Max never did gangbusters at the box office. Plus it had Mel. I like Tom Hardy but he's not the biggest draw just yet. Inflation will make it bigger than the Mel ones but it's not sniffing 1 Billion.

Well, the early 80s were a completely different box-office era. And Mel Gibson wasn't "Mel Gibson" back then -- no one knew him at all! (hardly)If -- and it's a huge if -- FR delivers the crazy, over-the-top stunt action that so many people associate with the Mad Max series and is actually a really entertaining movie, then it has a chance at breaking out -- $200m or so here, $800m OS (yeah, 80% of its WW).

Keanu? He's not a draw anymore, if he ever really was. The biggest thing he's done since 2003 is a mediocre remake of a 50s scifi that didn't even break $100 million domestic.

I don't have any faith that a new Matrix movie could somehow reverse all the badwill that the second and especially the third caused to the franchise. They'd have to earn their fans back all over again. If they do, maybe a fifth movie could hit a billion, but not a fourth. I mean, look at how Men in Black 3's doing with much bigger starpower: Just slightly better than what the second did a decade ago.

Keanu may not be doing gangbusters now true but Keanu as Neo is a draw internationally. You are also not mentioning the fact MIB III increased Heavily Worldwide. The Matrix Sequels are not hated around the world, they are loved. So worldwide increase, 3D and inflation alone could make it huge. As far as U.S., Yes some fans may be skeptical but make it action pack and Have it in the Matrix and trust me. It can be huge. I'm shocked WB hasn't pressured them to come back to the universe.

Revolutions under performed cause it was released in the winter and The Matrix are best for the Summer. Also fans just saw a Matrix movie 5 months Earlier, released 2 sequels in the same year is the worst thing hollywood ever came up with. Give fans a chance to breath. Revolutions was the only film in the Matrix series where most of the movie wasn't in the Matrix. Matrix and Reloaded over 60% of the movie was in the Matrix. In Revolutions it was about 30% Matrix, 70% real world. Fans love The Matrix for THE MATRIX. They don't really care about The Real World or Zion which Revolutions featured . That's why it dropped. Still did over 400 Million WW in the same year the sequel did over 700.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Keanu? He's not a draw anymore, if he ever really was. The biggest thing he's done since 2003 is a mediocre remake of a 50s scifi that didn't even break $100 million domestic. Look at Smith he had his comeback with MiB3 and if Cruise is back. Keanu needs a breakout again and it can be 47 Ronin. He also has Bill and Ted which could raise his stock.

I don't have any faith that a new Matrix movie could somehow reverse all the badwill that the second and especially the third caused to the franchise. They'd have to earn their fans back all over again. If they do, maybe a fifth movie could hit a billion, but not a fourth. I mean, look at how Men in Black 3's doing. Just slightly better than what the second did a decade ago.

CLOUD ATLAS is gonna be waaaay too weird and esoteric to be any sort of big hit.

Keanu may not be doing gangbusters now true but Keanu as Neo is a draw internationally. You are also not mentioning the fact MIB III increased Heavily Worldwide. The Matrix Sequels are not hated around the world, they are loved. So worldwide increase, 3D and inflation alone could make it huge. As far as U.S., Yes some fans may be skeptical but make it action pack and Have it in the Matrix and trust me. It can be huge. I'm shocked WB hasn't pressured them to come back to the universe.

Revolutions under performed cause it was released in the winter and The Matrix are best for the Summer. Also fans just saw a Matrix movie 5 months Earlier, released 2 sequels in the same year is the worst thing hollywood ever came up with. Give fans a chance to breath. Revolutions was the only film in the Matrix series where most of the movie wasn't in the Matrix. Matrix and Reloaded over 60% of the movie was in the Matrix. In Revolutions it was about 30% Matrix, 70% real world. Fans love The Matrix for THE MATRIX. They don't really care about The Real World or Zion which Revolutions featured . That's why it dropped. Still did over 400 Million WW in the same year the sequel did over 700.

Yes, it did increase internationally. That's why I said it's doing slightly better than the second. The Matrix Revolutions did $427 million worldwide, nowhere close to a billion.

Whatever a fourth movie's audience is, it's simply not going to be at the level of Reloaded's, no matter how good it is. No sequel is going to see that kind of increase after such a badly received precursor.