filmscholar

Will there ever be a BILLION DOLLAR R-rated Film??? - JOKER DOES IT!!!!

I LOVED THE MATRIX SERIES TO DEATH, TO ME MATRIX RELOADED WAS JUST AMAZING, but it's been nearly a decade since it ended, and I doubt many are interested in seeing another one, especially after Reloaded and Revolutions got such a bad rep and very mixed response.

I'm pretty sure I read Noah will be PG-13. It's just like Paramount to announce a (kiddy) rating before a single frame is shot. And I'm sure that something like half the movies on Neo's list will end up PG-13 as well. (especially Jupiter, All You Need is Kill and Gods & Kings) Hell, there's so much talk about Fury Road here, yet I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it ended up with lower rating as well.And I'm afraid it's more likely there's gonna be some big change in the rating system before an R rated movie gets to a billion. It's just studios usually make sure that all the franchises with such big moneymaking potential also have the most inclusive rating, even if the source material totally calls for something stronger. (just look at WWZ, for Christ' sake)

Indeed. No zombie movie should ever be anything but R. It's absurd.

I'm pretty sure I read Noah will be PG-13. It's just like Paramount to announce a (kiddy) rating before a single frame is shot. And I'm sure that something like half the movies on Neo's list will end up PG-13 as well. (especially Jupiter, All You Need is Kill and Gods & Kings) Hell, there's so much talk about Fury Road here, yet I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it ended up with lower rating as well.And I'm afraid it's more likely there's gonna be some big change in the rating system before an R rated movie gets to a billion. It's just studios usually make sure that all the franchises with such big moneymaking potential also have the most inclusive rating, even if the source material totally calls for something stronger. (just look at WWZ, for Christ' sake)

You can't be serious. Lets look at one by one. Elysium is a Blokamp directed movie, coming off D9 which was a major hit for the studio.BTW Elysium is rated R. Fury Road will likely be PG-13, but the list was possible Rated R as we don't any for sure and would make for a boring thread if we just looked at 2012. Noah has Aronofsky which last 2 movies have been R. Look what I said above for All You Need is Kill, will have action and language. Prometheus 2 end of discussion. Jupiter Ascending look he is directing. Gods and Kings a true adaptation of the like of Moses, could go either way. As for BA Cameron can do what he wants at FOX at this point.

I stopped trying to figure out MPAA ratings a long time ago. There is even a movie about this subject matter.From what I could gather, studios are figthing with MPAA for every movie to avoid the scarlett letter R.theWhy Matrix Releoaded (or the first Matrix) was rated R already ? I couldn't tell : it s not that violent, no nudity, no profanity.And I always like reminding people that Amelie got the same Rating than Hostel and Saw.Because in Amelie, people have happy sex.In Hostel, peole are skinned alive.The MPAA scares the hell out me.I am already laughing at the 2012 Hollywood version of 50 shades of grey which will be less raunchy than a Gossip episode.

Edited by The Futurist

"You can't be serious."

Serious about what?

"we don't any for sure and would make for a boring thread if we just looked at 2012."

True, I've just stated my feelings on the movies you listed.

"Noah has Aronofsky which last 2 movies have been R.".

And their budgets were what? Oh yeah, 6M and 13M respectively. Nolan's movies before BB were also R.

"Gods and Kings a true adaptation of the like of Moses, could go either way."

Only R rated movies by Spielberg were the ones concerning WW2 + Munich and there have been multiple historical epics that bombed quite recently, so I kinda doubt the studio will be willing to take a risk, but we'll see.

"Jupiter Ascending look he is directing."

You mean directors of what's probably the softest R rated action flicks out there? Also the premise doesn't sound like something meant to be overly violent.

"Prometheus 2 end of discussion"

What the hell do you mean by that? it's neither confirmed to actually happen, nor to be R.

"As for BA Cameron can do what he wants at FOX at this point. "

And currently he wants to make Avatars.

"You can't be serious."

Serious about what?

"we don't any for sure and would make for a boring thread if we just looked at 2012."

True, I've just stated my feelings on the movies you listed.

"Noah has Aronofsky which last 2 movies have been R.".

And their budgets were what? Oh yeah, 6M and 13M respectively. Nolan's movies before BB were also R. Have we ever gotten a Marvel/DC rated R movie?

"Gods and Kings a true adaptation of the like of Moses, could go either way."

Only R rated movies by Spielberg were the ones concerning WW2 + Munich and there have been multiple historical epics that bombed quite recently, so I kinda doubt the studio will be willing to take a risk, but we'll see. What about Amistad?

"Jupiter Ascending look he is directing."

You mean directors of what's probably the softest R rated action flicks out there? Also the premise doesn't sound like something meant to be overly violent. Still look at who is directing. Look at the Futurist's post regarding soft R ratings.

"Prometheus 2 end of discussion"

What the hell do you mean by that? it's neither confirmed to actually happen, nor to be R. Will see. Prometheus will likely end up tripling it budget, why wouldn't P2 get an R rating? Look at the Matrix to Matrix Reloaded. Whats the point of this thread if we can't talk about potential movies, if not we would end in 2012.

"As for BA Cameron can do what he wants at FOX at this point. "

And currently he wants to make Avatars. I thought we we talking about ratings, not what Cameron will do next.

Have we ever gotten a Marvel/DC rated R movie

Yes, from both of them, actually.

And as for Noah, current word around town is PG-13

What about Amistad?

My bad. Though it's another example of a "socially relevant" movie. I'm not sure whether G&K will fall into the same category.

Still look at who is directing.

Not anyone known for stark depictions of violence, strongly adult themes or anything like it that's for sure.

Will see. Prometheus will likely end up tripling it budget, why wouldn't P2 get an R rating? Look at the Matrix to Matrix Reloaded.

Matrix was an absolute phenomenon, beloved by audiences worldwide. Prometheus got a lot of negative feedback from audiences. Its sequel is nowhere near as safe a bet as the Matrix sequels.

Whats the point of this thread if we can't talk about potential movies.

We're talking about them now, aren't we? Why so defensive?

I thought we we talking about ratings, not what Cameron will do next.

If we're talking about ratings of specific movies, then how about keeping to these that will happen within next few years? Cameron basically said that BA is a long shot and there's no way of knowing how it will turn out or even what will constitute an R rating then. Sounds kinda pointless to me.

A major Marvel/DC movie not a sub CBM. Spielberg's movies about someone's life or event get an rating that is what Gods and Kings is. Why would that matter, other ways of getting an R rating. Like you said 'stark depictions of violence, strongly adult themes' a lot of R rated films haven't had this so why would Jupiter Ascending need this? Can't remember so you are saying The Matrix got 0 negative feedback, so it should have 100% rating on RT, right? You said its not confirmed thats the point of the thread. Latest on Alita was it was still happening in a few years that is from Cameron.

Actually, the latest comment from Cameron, as far as I know, was that he was tabling all non-Avatar projects and focusing purely on Avatar for the indefinite future.

On May 8th there was an interview with AICN that said he is was still doing BA.

Actually, the latest comment from Cameron, as far as I know, was that he was tabling all non-Avatar projects and focusing purely on Avatar for the indefinite future.

I laughed pretty hard when Cameron said he might do a 4th Avatar movie. I hope he doesn't become a sellout hack like Lucas. After the 3rd Avatar movie, he should do Alita or At the Mountains of Madness.

I LOVED THE MATRIX SERIES TO DEATH, TO ME MATRIX RELOADED WAS JUST AMAZING, but it's been nearly a decade since it ended, and I doubt many are interested in seeing another one, especially after Reloaded and Revolutions got such a bad rep and very mixed response.

1.6 Billion at the Box Office for the trilogy. A sequel will generate regardless of criticisms cause it's a popular franchise. I think if anything the decade gap has helped soften the criticism of the sequels.

1.6 Billion at the Box Office for the trilogy. A sequel will generate regardless of criticisms cause it's a popular franchise. I think if anything the decade gap has helped soften the criticism of the sequels.

Hope after Jupiter Ascending will get Matrix 4.