filmscholar

Will there ever be a BILLION DOLLAR R-rated Film??? - JOKER DOES IT!!!!

Why does anyone want a MATRIX 4? They wrapped up their story in 3.

Look at TF4, Mad Max 4, TASM and JPIV just to name a few. These wrapped up their franchises with 3rd ones, but are coming back with 4 movies. I think the problems of #3 have been addressed and would not come up with the 4th. Look how TM and Reloaded changed cinema, with the directing duo they could do the same with #4. Also 1.6B WW for three movies. The Matrix ranks as #18 in WW franchises with numerous series with 4+ movies. All but one had released after Revolutions and 7 had 3D boost which the Matrix never had. With 3D + inflation would likely break the top 10.

Look at TF4, Mad Max 4, TASM and JPIV just to name a few.

Two of those sound terrible (TF4, JPIV) and the other two are reboots/remakes. I'm not automatically against a fourth film in a franchise, but for franchises that were specifically designed as a trilogy (even if they were ret-conned into a trilogy after the success of the first stand-alone) it feels awkward, ugly, and bad to suddenly do a fourth one. If your franchise was just a series of adventures starring the same characters, then it's fine.(Not that it matters, but I don't sense a lot of interest in a fourth Matrix film from anyone, especially the Wachowskis). Edited by Telemachos

Two of those sound terrible (TF4, JPIV) and the other two are reboots/remakes. I'm not automatically against a fourth film in a franchise, but for franchises that were specifically designed as a trilogy (even if they were ret-conned into a trilogy after the success of the first stand-alone) it feels awkward, ugly, and bad to suddenly do a fourth one. If your franchise was just a series of adventures starring the same characters, then it's fine.(Not that it matters, but I don't sense a lot of interest in a fourth Matrix film from anyone, especially the Wachowskis).

JPIV depends on the director and script, the writers rebooted Apes. TF4 you are right there, but the space angle will give us a new look at the TF World.

They want M4 so that there can be more whining about pointless sequels/remakes.And yeah, it's a stupid idea, generally another movie in a series where 2 last entries were mediocre to bad from the same people is not a good idea.

Why does anyone want Episode 7, Luke and Vader's story is over. Sometimes fans of a franchise just want to see the adventure continue. Ripley was dead, Indy road into the sunset, Rocky Beat the Russian, Rambo saved the day yet we all saw sequels to those franchises. Sure sometimes you should just let a series end but when you have a rich universe like The Matrix there are still a lot of possibilities of where it could go next. Also I'm not even that Big on Sequels, I think a lot of film series should of stopped after the 1st but they are still fun to watch sometimes. Last January there was a rumor that there was going to be a Matrix 4 and 5 in 3D, the news set the internet on fire and became worldwide trending topics on Twitter. A franchises doesn't gross 1.6 Billion and is hated so the talk about the sequels are overblown. I'm not saying Box office = Quality, I'm just saying that the talk that nobody wants or likes the Matrix cause of the sequels isn't very accurate. Edited by filmscholar

Better question:Will the R rated record EVER be beated? (For both OW and domestic)

Well Hangover II got very, very close. I don't think Hangover III is doing over 80 Million with Fast Six as competition. 300 Did 70 Million so I think Reloaded OW record is safe as well as Passion 370 Domestic Gross. They were just beast no matter how you slice it.

You know what'd be crazy? (Cool, but crazy) If a director did a franchise withe intent of taking it through all the ratings groups, as its audience grew up. So the first movie would be G... 3-4 years later the sequel would be PG, the third one would be PG-13 and the final one would be an apocalyptic R.

Funny, I had that same idea 5 years ago. lol