filmscholar

Will there ever be a BILLION DOLLAR R-rated Film??? - JOKER DOES IT!!!!

CLOUD ATLAS is gonna be waaaay too weird and esoteric to be any sort of big hit.

Exactly, It has a great cast but it's not really something I can see hitting Matrix Demo's. I see it more of an Artsy type film. If it does over 100 it will be huge to me. From the plot I read it sounds like a "Magnolia, Crash, Traffic" type film where different stories are intersecting. Also I just read Charlize is in the "Mad Max" reboot. Listen, no doubt it's going to be bigger than the original? But Mad Max is kind of a dark franchise, I don't know about Billion but I do think it will be a success. Maybe it could be Tom Hardy's breakout role at the box office as a Leading Man.

Exactly, It has a great cast but it's not really something I can see hitting Matrix Demo's. I see it more of an Artsy type film. If it does over 100 it will be huge to me. From the plot I read it sounds like a "Magnolia, Crash, Traffic" type film where different stories are intersecting. Also I just read Charlize is in the "Mad Max" reboot. Listen, no doubt it's going to be bigger than the original? But Mad Max is kind of a dark franchise, I don't know about Billion but I do think it will be a success. Maybe it could be Tom Hardy's breakout role at the box office as a Leading Man.

It's definitely a dark horse. Maybe that'll be my first loony club started, next year.

Yes, it did increase internationally. That's why I said it's doing slightly better than the second. The Matrix Revolutions did $427 million worldwide, nowhere close to a billion.

Whatever a fourth movie's audience is, it's simply not going to be at the level of Reloaded's, no matter how good it is. No sequel is going to see that kind of increase after such a badly received precursor.

I agree with you if they do another Matrix Film they have work to do but I'm saying the potential is there with Overseas markets expanding for it to be a huge hit cause overseas The Matrix Trilogy is massive. But again topping "Reloaded" hype is going to take some work for sure. But from what I see as far as "R" film, Another Matrix has the best potential cause I just don't see an R-rated franchise having that type of demo's on the horizon.

You guys are missing my point. I know Cloud Atlas is very, very unlikely to hit a billion, but I still think its chances are better than a Matrix 4. That's not the same as saying it would outgross a Matrix sequel.

Oh, my bad, I thought you were saying CA can hit Matrix Demo's. I get your point. What about "Hangover III" guys? 2nd one did over 500 Million. Can the 3rd hit over 600 Million? or did the 2nd benefit overseas by taking place in Taiwan? Wow, this question is even tougher than I thought it would be. It's going to be very, very hard for an R-rated movie to hit 1 Billion.

ElysiumFury RoadNoahAll You Need Is KillPrometheus 2Jupiter AscendingGods and KingsBattle AngelWe don't know these rating, but can assume P2 will be rated R. IMO not all of these could hit 1B WW, but can't rule them out.

ElysiumFury RoadNoahAll You Need Is KillPrometheus 2Jupiter AscendingGods and KingsBattle AngelWe don't know these rating, but can assume P2 will be rated R. IMO not all of these could hit 1B WW, but can't rule them out.

No to all these except maybe Noah and BA and JC said he probably won't make BA and instead do more Avatar movies.

You know what'd be crazy? (Cool, but crazy) If a director did a franchise withe intent of taking it through all the ratings groups, as its audience grew up. So the first movie would be G... 3-4 years later the sequel would be PG, the third one would be PG-13 and the final one would be an apocalyptic R.

You know what'd be crazy? (Cool, but crazy) If a director did a franchise withe intent of taking it through all the ratings groups, as its audience grew up. So the first movie would be G... 3-4 years later the sequel would be PG, the third one would be PG-13 and the final one would be an apocalyptic R.

And then NC-17!

Obviously something will make it eventually with inflation, but I don't see anything that we know of that will make it.And I hope they don't make another Matrix. The first film is a masterpiece but but it's a story that doesn't work for sequels so Matrix 2 and 3 were terrible, and another would be even worse.

Noah has potential to be a Passion-sized hit if Aronofsky makes a true epic out of it. Not sure if he'd make it R but looking at his resume it could happen. The flood story is a part of many different cultures so it could definitely breakout overseas. Edited by tonytr87

I think we won't see a billion dollar R-rated film anytime soon. A billion dollar film needs a HUGE budget for production and global marketing, but the studios are wary of investing that much precisely because of R rating.

I'm pretty sure I read Noah will be PG-13. It's just like Paramount to announce a (kiddy) rating before a single frame is shot. And I'm sure that something like half the movies on Neo's list will end up PG-13 as well. (especially Jupiter, All You Need is Kill and Gods & Kings) Hell, there's so much talk about Fury Road here, yet I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it ended up with lower rating as well.And I'm afraid it's more likely there's gonna be some big change in the rating system before an R rated movie gets to a billion. It's just studios usually make sure that all the franchises with such big moneymaking potential also have the most inclusive rating, even if the source material totally calls for something stronger. (just look at WWZ, for Christ' sake)