Taylor

Weekend estimates pg 30 Brave 66.7

FRIDAY 11 AM: My sources tell me that Pixar/Disney’s heroine-in-the-highlands Brave will open to around $60+M this weekend based on matinee trends and pre-sales. So it’ll be an easy #1 this weekend - incredibly, Pixar’s 13th straight first place finish. That’s just about where DreamWorks Animation’s Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted opened two weeks for distributor Paramount ($60.3M). Looks like concerns that Brave would only appeal to girls and their mothers may have been overplayed. Then again,every Pixar 3D movie has opened to at least $60M. Plus, this is a giant release into 4,164 theaters, 2,790 of which are 3D shows. Meanwhile Twentieth Century Fox’sAbraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is looking to open around $20M-$22M – and $25M at best. That’s much better than the tracking has been on this bizarre horror history mashup from producer Tim Burton and director Timur Bekmambetov based on the novel and script by Seth Grahame-Smith. That includes $701,261 in midnight screenings from 1,168 locations. (“Pretty good number, same as Cowboys & Aliens,” a Fox exec stresses to me. And C&A was a much costlier film…) Interesting that this Lincoln: Vampire Hunter high-concept 3D pic (in 3,106 theaters) with no stars will do way way better than the openings of Tom Cruise’s PG-13 Rock Of Ages and Adam Sandler’s R-rated That’s My Boywhich both flopped last weekend. No word yet on Focus Features’ offbeat Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (in 1,618 theaters) from writer-director Loraine Scafaria starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. More later…

http://www.deadline....hunter-weekend/

Edited by baumer

Anything over $20 million would be fantastic for Abraham. I said it would overperform, but I don't want to brag yet since these numbers could be way off by the time actual numbers come in. :P

Edited by Taylor

WOW! Baumer, you nailed Abe!(IF ACCURATE, LOL)

I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it opens to 20. So I can take a small bow. :)

The box office in general is boring now. There are no real surprises or break-outs anymore.I don't care who you are or what you think, having weekend estimates one hour before noon on the West Coast is simply fucking ridiculous.

• Like 1