Olive

Official France Box Office Thread

French cinemas open on May 19, this time it's 100% sure (with a 35% gauge). For the occasion a large number of films will be released at the same time (new releases and films that were already released in October just before the cinemas close and which are coming out again) The phenomenon film Demon Slayer will notably be released in France on May 19 and the figures should be very good for the Japanese film.

More and more French cinemas are joining the list of those who will broadcast Demon Slayer. So far there are 186, but this is a number that will increase further in the future. Le grand rex, the largest French cinema, has already sold more than 9000 seats in pre-sales and had to add screenings because all those programmed were sold out in a few hours. Places are so precious that some try to sell them for more on the internet. The attendance is so high that there has been bug on reservations sites and 4DX and IMAX format screenings will be added to meet the demand. In short, we can expect very high attendance scores for DS in France. I won't be surprised if he finally manages to exceed my expectations and possibly even reach $3M-$4M (which would represent around 400k-500k admissions)

Edited by LPLC

30 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

French and Japanese have very similar taste in Anime. 

Yes it's true, I also believe that I saw a few weeks ago that France was the 2nd biggest market after Japan for manga and anime. We love it here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Later this month Cruella will become the first Disney movie in French theater since the pandemic started, I think it has potential even with a gauge at 35%

Postponed to June 23...but capacity will be up to 65% by then.

More than 400 films are ready to be released, it's going to be a bloodbath. Conjuring 3, Nomadland, Le Discours, 5ème Set, Un Tour Chez Ma Fille, Les 2 Alfred, Wrath of Man, La Nuée, A Quiet Place 2, Cruella, Minari, Freaky and Gagarine are all releasing within a three week span. 

Anticipation for Demon Slayer seems huge, the theater count is kinda low but it will increase since Pathé/Gaumont, UGC and MK2 (the biggest chains in the country) announced that they will screen the film. 400k admissions would only make it the 30th biggest Japanese film here, I hope it can make more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Parasite said:

More than 400 films are ready to be released, it's going to be a bloodbath. Conjuring 3, Nomadland, Le Discours, 5ème Set, Un Tour Chez Ma Fille, Les 2 Alfred, Wrath of Man, La Nuée, A Quiet Place 2, Cruella, Minari, Freaky and Gagarine are all releasing within a three week span. 

Anticipation for Demon Slayer seems huge, the theater count is kinda low but it will increase since Pathé/Gaumont, UGC and MK2 (the biggest chains in the country) announced that they will screen the film. 400k admissions would only make it the 30th biggest Japanese film here, I hope it can make more.

I hope too, but the strong competition and the maximum capacity of only 35% will affect its run in France. If DS already reaches 400k admissions, that would already be huge.

1 hour ago, Parasite said:

Oh...but as you said it's smart to wait till then: less competition and higher gauge :)

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

When is kong releasing in france?

No theatrical release, they went straight to VOD, and Raya and the last Dragon going to Disney+ next month.

Edited by Fullbuster

I know summer is coming,but I don't think is smart for those opening markets to keep rushing everything the minute cinemas open lol

Same thing is happening to UK and Brazil,I just don't know how many of these movies can actually make money with so much releasing at once.

38 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

I know summer is coming,but I don't think is smart for those opening markets to keep rushing everything the minute cinemas open lol

Same thing is happening to UK and Brazil,I just don't know how many of these movies can actually make money with so much releasing at once.

I think most are aware they'll lose money and they're ready for it, state subsidies will offset a part of the cost so at this point it's about making some bucks to limit losses.

Authorities advised to sell movies to SVOD platforms like Netflix to limit releases in theaters but only a limited number did it...At least it convinced studios to put Godzilla vs Kong on VOD and Raya on Disney+.

The biggest French cinema chains now broadcast Demon Slayer, as well as many independent cinemas. In total, more than 345 French cinemas will broadcast Demon Slayer from May 19, and this figure may increase further. We can expect a big score in the first week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Do we know the release date for kong vs godzilla ?

A release date for GvK was announced more than a month ago for May 19, but the film will ultimately never be released in theaters in France. Warner Bros France preferred to release it directly on VOD from April 22. What a pity, I would have been happy to go and enjoy a film like that on the big screen.

News from France !

Demon Slayer has pre-sold over 30,000 tickets (around $225k) for this week ! It will be shown in approximately 428 cinemas. This is really great !

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very good resumption of attendance today. 1069 spectators at 9 a.m., to return to such a high level you have to return to April 24, 2019 and its 1157 spectators at 9 a.m. largely thanks to Avengers Endgame (711 spectators).

Here is the number of full sessions over the coming week. Lots of sessions for Tom and Jerry and Demon Slayer.

https://twitter.com/destinationcine/status/1394918974459105280?s

https://twitter.com/destinationcine/status/1394918974459105280?s=20

Large and long queues this morning in front of the largest cinemas in France. This shows the desire of the French to find cinemas but also their irresponsibility in the face of COVID.

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is generally first show Paris update. Is it delayed?

No no, usually Paris 2pm figures come out around 5.30pm-6pm, so they should arrive soon and as soon as they are there I'll share them here. I would do the same with the 1st day figures which should arrive late in the morning or early afternoon tomorrow.