Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Still a long time. I just hope it won't flop there like how bad Wreck-it Ralph did.

I know, it's far in the future :(

I don't feel it will flop in France, people love superheroes and mangas here and this movie is a mix of both universe + the Disney/Marvel brand, I'm not worried for my home market.

I wish the posters who were active during Frozen's record-breaking run are active on this Big Hero 6 thread too. But I guess they were more inclined with Frozen, rather than Walt Disney Animation Studios as a whole. Lol.

well another issue for people not from the states is that BH6 is getting an extremely stretched out release... in austria we wont get it until next year :(

ill probably watch it next week when i am in new york though :)

• Like 1

I wish the posters who were active during Frozen's record-breaking run are active on this Big Hero 6 thread too. But I guess they were more inclined with Frozen, rather than Walt Disney Animation Studios as a whole. Lol.

I thought the same thing, it's quite sad.

Recently they don't even what to say so they try to think about Frozen 2...Knowing WDAS a sequel is unlikely so they really try to fill the void to keep the thread alive.

Talking about BH6 would be so more productive, the movie deserves it.

let's talk about the WW performance, does this have a chance to finish in the top 10 WW this year? HTTYD2 did about $620M and is now at #8 but MJ1 and TBOTFA will surely make the top 3 and meanwhile IS is doing very well which could also end up with something like $600M+. 

let's talk about the WW performance, does this have a chance to finish in the top 10 WW this year? HTTYD2 did about $620M and is now at #8 but MJ1 and TBOTFA will surely make the top 3 and meanwhile IS is doing very well which could also end up with something like $600M+. 

Depends on 2 things : its performance in Japan and a Chinese release (we don't know if it will get one but it's Disney so it's likely).

For now it's a success in Asia and Latin America so it's promising.

• Like 1

Depends on 2 things : its performance in Japan and a Chinese release (we don't know if it will get one but it's Disney so it's likely).

For now it's a success in Asia and Latin America so it's promising.

Living in Korea, I'm not feeling any kind of pre-release buzz I felt last year for Frozen which was kinda rare actually, but hope it could do at least more than $10M here. (Frozen grossed exceptional $77M, but Tangled only did $9M and WIR, $6M..) Korea used to be a graveyard for Disney animations before Frozen and Marvel is not really much of a draw here unless it's Iron Man, so..

Think it will do fine in Japan tho. Not like $100M fine but at the very least $30M+? and I really hope it gets a Chinese release.

Living in Korea, I'm not feeling any kind of pre-release buzz I felt last year for Frozen which was kinda rare actually, but hope it could do at least more than $10M here. (Frozen grossed exceptional $77M, but Tangled only did $9M and WIR, $6M..) Korea used to be a graveyard for Disney animations before Frozen and Marvel is not really much of a draw here unless it's Iron Man, so..

Think it will do fine in Japan tho. Not like $100M fine but at the very least $30M+? and I really hope it gets a Chinese release.

I don't see it under $50m in Japan, apparently there is a kind of buzz about it, I just can't see it fail there.

Its success in Korea will depend on marketing, and if I remember its Korean release is expected next year right? So it could be a bit early for a buzz to develop.

• Like 1

I am A HUGE WDAS fanboy and BH6 is really good, but I far prefer Wreck-It Ralph when it comes to Disney's recent non-musical non-fairytales. So personally speaking, while I am interested in seeing where it ends up (hopefully above Tangled), I'm not that invested to constantly keep track of its run because it hasn't made that much of an impression on me as its two immediate Disney predecessors.

Plus I guess there was a "Everyone loves to root for a super champ!" mentality at play when it came to Frozen. People were awe-struck by that insane run and couldn't help but cheer it on. BH6 is performing close to average expectations, so it appears to be an average run even though it is the best performance for a Disney film not named Frozen since The Lion King. But unfortunately, it is following up Frozen, and that never was an enviable position. So comparisons are unpreventable. Which naturally leads to the "It's good but it ain't no Frozen!" apathetic attitude.

BH6 fans!

This film, with its Japanese elements, is playing particularly well in Asia. It has surpassed Frozen to become the largest Disney/Pixar release of all time in Malaysia($4.4M), the Philippines ($4.2M), Indonesia and Vietnam. In Russia($20.2M), its biggest ex-U.S. market, it is the No. 2 release ever for Disney/Pixar, with Frozen still tops.

• Like 3

Annie Awards nominations are unveiled!

Best Animated Feature

Big Hero 6

Walt Disney Animation Studios

Outstanding Achievement for Animated Effects in an Animated Production

Big Hero 6

Michael Kaschalk, Peter DeMund, David Hutchins, Henrik Falt, John Kosnik

Outstanding Achievement for Character Design in an Animated Feature Production

Big Hero 6

Shiyoon Kim, Jin Kim

Outstanding Achievement for Directing in an Animated Feature Production

Big Hero 6

Don Hall & Chris Williams

Outstanding Achievement for Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production

Big Hero 6

Marc E. Smith

Outstanding Achievement for Writing in an Animated Feature Production

Big Hero 6

Robert L. Baird, Daniel Gerson & Jordan Roberts

Outstanding Achievement for Editorial in an Animated Feature Production

Big Hero 6

Tim Mertens

• Like 2

Dragons 2 should really beat this.

Shit was bland. Also I just will never understand why they had to stop the villain. He was hurting nobody. And the second they went into another dimension, I just fucking lost it. This shit will get by in the Disney branding alone.

• Like 1

I am A HUGE WDAS fanboy and BH6 is really good, but I far prefer Wreck-It Ralph when it comes to Disney's recent non-musical non-fairytales. So personally speaking, while I am interested in seeing where it ends up (hopefully above Tangled), I'm not that invested to constantly keep track of its run because it hasn't made that much of an impression on me as its two immediate Disney predecessors.

Plus I guess there was a "Everyone loves to root for a super champ!" mentality at play when it came to Frozen. People were awe-struck by that insane run and couldn't help but cheer it on. BH6 is performing close to average expectations, so it appears to be an average run even though it is the best performance for a Disney film not named Frozen since The Lion King. But unfortunately, it is following up Frozen, and that never was an enviable position. So comparisons are unpreventable. Which naturally leads to the "It's good but it ain't no Frozen!" apathetic attitude.

Big Hero Six is not even half as good as Wreck It Ralph. 

It has a stellar premise, superb visuals, interesting characters and it's all wasted on a by-the-numbers story. Execution was awful. The directors are hacks. 

Big Hero Six is not even half as good as Wreck It Ralph. 

It has a stellar premise, superb visuals, interesting characters and it's all wasted on a by-the-numbers story. Execution was awful. The directors are hacks. 

Ouch. Now I wouldn't go that far! But I agree that some wrong creative decisions were made. Before the release, I read some interviews from the directors where they more or less declared that they compromised their own story to make space for what "audiences expect of a superhero film". Now that is either bad instinct or studio meddling. They should have just done their own thing or allowed to do their own thing. It's when BH6 tries its hardest to fit into the typical superhero popcorn blockbuster mold that it strays from the path of greatness.

• Like 1

Honestly I really liked BH6 and it didn't matter to me how generic it was. It was just so darn entertaining and well enough put together, that I didn't care.

It's not perfect in every way (what is?), but its high points are very high, and at least it doesn't trip over its own feet like The Incredibles (also generally a very entertaining movie) does, for example.

• Like 1

Ouch. Now I wouldn't go that far! But I agree that some wrong creative decisions were made. Before the release, I read some interviews from the directors where they more or less declared that they compromised their own story to make space for what "audiences expect of a superhero film". Now that is either bad instinct or studio meddling. They should have just done their own thing or allowed to do their own thing. It's when BH6 tries its hardest to fit into the typical superhero popcorn blockbuster mold that it strays from the path of greatness.

Link to the interviews? Because that is the most numb-skulled thing a director could possibly do. That alone makes me lose respect for them. We want something new not the same old shit. Every beat that echoed a superhero movie was awful. Not even kidding. It was lame, generic, predictable, safe, boring etc. Very disappointed if that was the case. Link??

It's not perfect in every way (what is?), but its high points are very high, and at least it doesn't trip over its own feet like The Incredibles (also generally a very entertaining movie) does, for example.

The Incredibles is the best superhero movie made, so not sure what feet you're talking about here. Brad Bird's vision is so much stronger and the identity so much greater than anything out of Marvel. 

Link to the interviews? Because that is the most numb-skulled thing a director could possibly do. That alone makes me lose respect for them. We want something new not the same old shit. Every beat that echoed a superhero movie was awful. Not even kidding. It was lame, generic, predictable, safe, boring etc. Very disappointed if that was the case. Link??

The Incredibles is the best superhero movie made, so not sure what feet you're talking about here. Brad Bird's vision is so much stronger and the identity so much greater than anything out of Marvel. 

Dude.  The Incredibles was an okay film but it was far from Brad Bird's best effort.  And it was just Fantastic Four lite anyway.  I never understood the hype for that movie, especially since all of the characters were so damn unlikable.  I was almost cheering for the villain to win except that he was a jerk too.

• Like 1