Neo

Mortal Kombat | April 23 2021 | Warner Bros. | James Wan producing

People on Twitter making a fuss about this film only being 110 minutes long need to get a grip. It’s a silly uberviolent video game adaptation about a bunch of people competing in a fighting tournament, its not Lord of the Rings. We don’t need to see Sub Zero’s origin story to understand that he can turn that random guy’s blood into a bloodcicle.

Not every film needs to be over 2 hours.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

People on Twitter making a fuss about this film only being 110 minutes long need to get a grip. It’s a silly uberviolent video game adaptation about a bunch of people competing in a fighting tournament, its not Lord of the Rings. We don’t need to see Sub Zero’s origin story to understand that he can turn that random guy’s blood into a bloodcicle.

But more often than not , shorter films did have the problem of lazy storytelling or non-sensical plot

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

The first Mortal Kombat movie was 100 minutes long. I'm not sure why the Snyder cult seems to think this one needs to be 3 hours.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Dude...it's Mortal Kombat. It's always been nonsensical

Honestly that’s part of the charm, the MK11 storyline was gloriously OTT and about as deep as a puddle, but I loved every second of it. The fact that some of these people seem to think it’s some “epic” story makes me think they’ve never actually played the game.

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The first Mortal Kombat movie was 100 minutes long. I'm not sure why the Snyder cult seems to think this one needs to be 3 hours.

It does weirdly seem to be those people who are clamouring for a 15 hour cut and spin offs for all the characters...they really don’t have much going on in their lives do they...

This movie only needs to be entertaining, exciting and present a well done "world" with likeable characters, but not too much so they can expand that on sequels.

They don't need more than 110 minutes to do that, actually GvK shows that this type of escapist movie being smaller and more straight to the point could do wonders with the audience.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Honestly that’s part of the charm, the MK11 storyline was gloriously OTT and about as deep as a puddle, but I loved every second of it. The fact that some of these people seem to think it’s some “epic” story makes me think they’ve never actually played the game.

It does weirdly seem to be those people who are clamouring for a 15 hour cut and spin offs for all the characters...they really don’t have much going on in their lives do they...

I don't begrudge people wanting to see this story "elevated," but they can't be surprised given WB's recent reputation. They clearly mandated Godzilla v Kong be under two hours and they did the same to '17 Justice League. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

First reviews have come in. They’re leaning positive so far based on the ones I found via Google, but you can probably guess what the positives and negatives are.

Released here in Southeast Asia..

Audience reviews in the FB grps I am in... are really bad though. They said they rather watch GvK again. Said it was slightly better than Dragon Ball: Evolution / Legend of Chun Li.

I wanted to catch it in theaters this weekend.. but now re-thinking. If it is bad, then it's a shame half the IMAX screens in countries like mine.. are given to it and Godzilla losing lots of screen.

I am a huge MK fan so I do hope these early reactions are wrong and the movie is good.

Edited by TigerPaw

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Released here in Southeast Asia..

Audience reviews in the FB grps I am in... are really bad though. They said they rather watch GvK again. Said it was slightly better than Dragon Ball: Evolution / Legend of Chun Li.

I wanted to catch it in theaters this weekend.. but now re-thinking. If it is bad, then it's a shame half the IMAX screens in countries like mine.. are given to it and Godzilla losing lots of screen.

I am a huge MK fan so I do hope these early reactions are wrong and the movie is good.

What are they saying about it?

28 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

What are they saying about it?

They said there were lots of dialogue..in the film.

Says trailer was the best part of the film.. also said:

Fight scenes not even close to Jackie Chan / Donnie Yen / Sammo Hung's choreography level. (These 3 are big names in Asia).

Edited by TigerPaw

On 4/5/2021 at 3:22 AM, SnokesLegs said:

If anything 110 is much longer than I expected, I thought 95-100 maximum. Current blockbusters feeling the obligation to be 135-150 minutes are a problem, not a standard.

• Like 2