Neo

Mortal Kombat | April 23 2021 | Warner Bros. | James Wan producing

9 minutes ago, BlueCore said:

This film is being shot in my city. Local news and reporters have been talking about it constantly and that it'll inject $70m into our economy. I know nothing about the film although my dad has signed up to be an extra in it when they go to shoot :P

EDIT: I also know some people who will be working on it so I might be able to get insider info.

Do you know what kind of extra? Like a spectator?

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Do you know what kind of extra? Like a spectator?

No idea yet, he only applied for it during the week when the production company sent out the adverts and got in contact with casting agencies. Officially speaking he hasn't been approved yet but most extras are thrown in so I wouldn't expect anything different. If I find out more later I'll shoot a post though.

3 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

I'm probably gonna make a Mortal Kombat reboot > Pikachu WW club at some point. I don't see He-Man doing well enough for an interesting fight

Bold of you to assume Pikachu won't have another movie out before this releases. In fact 2021 is probably when the next Pokemon film will come out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Mortal Kombat is a hard one to predict. I’m thinking more along the lines of what Rampage did but higher DOM, lesser China.

Depending on the approach they take, this could straight up not get released in China 

• Like 2

This is not even hard to adapt. Just take the story from the 2011 game, make a few cinematic narrative-friendly adjustments and boom.

For the record, I actually like the 1995 movie, even though I recognize its shortcomings, but yeah, this is a franchise that has deserved an update for a long time. And hopefully Resident Evil follows the same way in no time. (Meanwhile, Paul WShit Anderson will probably butcher the fuck out of Monster Hunter and solidify his name as the new Uwe Boll. And yes, I know he directed the original Mortal Kombat too. Part of me wishes he hadn't. Although Event Horizon alone would've likely given him the RE and Alien Vs. Predator gigs anyway, sadly.)

@Cappoedameron This comes out in March 2021, WB already has a shit ton of family movies programmed for 2020 and 2021 - none of which are Pokémon related - and you assume they will get a new Pokémon movie fasttracked to before Mortal Kombat comes out? Detective Pikachu isn't even doing numbers so out of this world that demand a next entry anyway. Why are you so obsessed with telling everyone that Pokémon is getting a cinematic universe? Pikachu will be lucky to sneak past Warcraft as the highest grossing video game movie ever, and Warcraft made less than 50 million DOM, for fuck's sake.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@Cappoedameron This comes out in March 2021, WB already has a shit ton of family movies programmed for 2020 and 2021 - none of which are Pokémon related - and you assume they will get a new Pokémon movie fasttracked to before Mortal Kombat comes out? Detective Pikachu isn't even doing numbers so out of this world that demand a next entry anyway. Why are you so obsessed with telling everyone that Pokémon is getting a cinematic universe? Pikachu will be lucky to sneak past Warcraft as the highest grossing video game movie ever, and Warcraft made less than 50 million DOM, for fuck's sake.

Sequel is happening, already been confirmed. Stop being a hater if you can, thanks.

25 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Sequel is happening, already been confirmed. Stop being a hater if you can, thanks.

Oooooh, I'm pointing out a movie isn't doing spectacular enough business that a sequel should be an absolute guarantee to happen in the space of now until March 2021 from box office numbers alone, WHAT A HATER I AM. Serioufuckingsly? And yeah, good, I know the sequel is happening already. Which was a surprise to me when I read it, but whatever, they can build on the 1st movie with the right changes. But it's still almost 100% surely not coming out before Mortal Kombat. Nor should it. I think the next Pokémon movie should be at earliest a Christmas 2021 release.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

New ‘Mortal Kombat’ Movie Set for Spring 2021 Release by Warner Bros.

A new crack at adapting the fighting video game Mortal Kombat for the big screen has been in the works for years. Now the project finally sounds like it’s becoming a reality. Not only did South Australia Premier Steven Marshall earlier this month that the film would shoot in Adelaide, Australia later this year, but Warner Bros. Pictures has given the new Mortal Kombat movie a spring 2021 release date.

Variety has word on the new Mortal Kombat movie release date being set for March 5, 2021, taking the early spot that blockbusters have started to stake out when they want to stay away from the crowded calendar in box office summer.

The new Mortal Kombat movie doesn’t have a cast yet, but The Conjuring and Aquaman director James Wan is producing the film.

Behind the camera will be Simon McQuoid making his directorial debut after being at the helm of plenty of commercials. That might not sound like the kind of experience you’d hope to see behind the camera for a movie like Mortal Kombat, but he did direct this Star Wars commercial for Duracell:

Edited by Geo1500

Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot: 8 Things We Need To See

Fatality or Flawless Victory?

a9432bec6288fd5b-600x338.png

Warner Bros. recently announced that the James Wan-produced Mortal Kombat reboot is not only real, but will be released on the remarkably specific date of March 5th, 2021. 25 years after Hollywood's first attempt at realising everyone's favourite mystical blood-spattered beat-em up, they're finally giving it another go.

To be fair, the original 1995 Mortal Kombat movie was far from the worst game-to-film project of the 90s. It had its charm, and it has, to an extent, aged well. It's a shame the same can't be said for its follow up, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and the ill-fated TV series Mortal Kombat: Conquest, but the less said about those, the better.

So, the question remains: will Mortal Kombat 2021 be a great film, a good film, or on the level of Annihilation? Glossy production and ultra-slick special effects alone won't make a good movie, no matter how much money WB throws at the project, and there are a few things which the studio needs to include to get fans throwing their money at the screen.

8. A Pumping, Throwback Soundtrack

4c49269b5503c909-600x338.jpg

That techno track from the original film, (you know the one, where he shouts "MORTAL KOMBAT") was never particularly clever or groundbreaking, even in its hay-day, but it had a stomping, anthem quality to it, and that's why people remember it so fondly.

A distinct and pumping soundtrack is a match made in heaven for Mortal Kombat's adrenaline-fuelled action. Thankfully, there's no shortage of industrial, electronic, metal, or other artists, who would be fit for the task of creating a noisy, high-energy opus for the next movie.

A surprising amount of a movie's personality rests on this element, and personality is something which Mortal Kombat is in no shortage of, so the mater of good music should be taken seriously.

Also worth keeping in mind, is just how cool some of the in-game soundtracks were, particularly in the 16-bit/arcade sagas of Mortal Kombats 1 to 3. Perhaps the brooding, pleasantly retro blips of the 90s games could make a resurgence in a new soundtrack, and help cement a sense of nostalgic identity inside a modern musical setting.

To be continued counting down from 7

• Like 2