diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

34 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

Anyone else having trouble accessing the site?

Kofic is working fine for me right now.

Edit: You mean this forum, yeah it's slow for me as well.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

[Sunday Box Office] Transformers: The Last Knight (6/25)

Admissions: 483,176 (-10.6%)

Total admissions (with previews): 1,749,149

Gross (USD): $3.61M

Total Gross (USD): $12.8

Seat Saturation: 32.2%

TF4 Sunday: 707,417 (-10.8%)

Still looking $20m as final total or $25m?

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

@Rsyu With Okja being boycotted by the three major cinema chains, any hints on how to find cinemas that are not CGV, Lotte or Megabox? 

Was really hoping to see this in cinemas.

The easiest way to find a theater near you, search for 옥자 on Naver portal

MOLkcjo.jpg

I'm not sure how well you are with Korean content, but click on this and you can access specific showtimes for Okja. At the moment I see 9 theaters available in the Seoul region. I'm sure the names of most of those theaters are new to you, but if you copy and paste their names (say like "이봄씨어터") in the naver search engine, they give you a location on a map to show where it is. 

If you don't see a theater close by, there's more theater information available on kobis (http://kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do). Type Okja in the search box, and click on the first Okja link that shows up. On the third tab where it says 상영현황정보 you can find a list of all the theaters that are scheduled to screen it. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Still looking $20m as final total or $25m?

Closer to $20M most likely. Weekend gross was exactly as expected and its already dropped to 4th place in presales. 

2017 summer blockbuster Preview #3: A Taxi Driver (August 2)

POSTER

Synopsis

A Taxi Driver (택시 운전사) is an upcoming South Korean drama film directed by Jang Hoon, starring Song Kang-ho and Thomas Kretschmann. It follows Man-seob, a taxi driver from Seoul, who gets involved in a German journalist's reporting of the events of the Gwangju Democratization Movement in 1980.

Gwangju Decomcratization movement

The Gwangju Uprising, alternatively called May 18 Democratic Uprising by UNESCO, and also known as Gwangju Democratization Movement was a popular uprising in the city of Gwangju, South Korea, from May 18 to 27, 1980. Estimates suggest up to 606 people may have died. During this period, Gwangju citizens took up arms (by robbing local armories and police stations) when local Chonnam University students – who were demonstrating against the Chun Doo-hwan government – were fired upon, killed, and beaten in an unprecedented attack by government troops. The uprising eventually ended in defeat on May 27, 1980.

Analysis

A Taxi Driver sees actor Song Kang-ho return to the big screen less than a year since his last film "Age of Shadows" from 2016. He remains highly prolific and is one of the most respected actors in Korea today with over 100M admissions to his name. A typical powerhouse performance from Song Kang-ho coupled with a theme that is an emotional point for many Koreans, released during peak summer box office means this could turn out to be another 10M+ admission film. As long as they release several weeks after A Battleship Island, the box office should be able to accommodate both films, similar to how Veteran and Assassination coexisted in the summer of 2015. Despite being released two weeks apart, both films went on to do 13.4M and 12.7M admissions respectively. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 4

[Tuesday Box Office] Transformers: The Last Knight (6/27)

Admissions: 78,144 (-22.7%)

Total admissions (with previews): 1,929,652

Gross (USD): $531K

Total Gross (USD): $14.12M

Seat Saturation: 6.1%

It probably won't even gross $20M. Kinda shocked at how bad this is doing.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Olive said:

It's collapsing, free-falling.

Yeah..we all knew it would sometime this week, but I don't think many would have imagined it would start collapsing against zero competition. No way to explain that 22 point daily drop other than toxic word of mouth. 

8 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

Yeah..we all knew it would sometime this week, but I don't think many would have imagined it would start collapsing against zero competition. No way to explain that 22 point daily drop other than toxic word of mouth. 

2nd weekend drop close to 90% maybe