diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

The bombing of Shazam is further proof that Aquaman was very much a fluke for the DCEU in Asia. Other than Aquaman the DCEU is a pretty small and unpopular franchise in Korea and China compared to the MCU. Not even Wonder Woman managed to do MCU numbers in Asia.

1 minute ago, LordNox said:

The bombing of Shazam is further proof that Aquaman was very much a fluke for the DCEU in Asia. Other than Aquaman the DCEU is a pretty small and unpopular franchise in Korea and China compared to the MCU. Not even Wonder Woman managed to do MCU numbers in Asia.

Aquaman is directed by an Asian and stars a Pacific Islander, plus it has the CGI spectacle. Pretty expected that no other movie would compare.

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Aquaman is directed by an Asian and stars a Pacific Islander, plus it has the CGI spectacle. Pretty expected that no other movie would compare.

But that is my point. DC movies can only do well in Asia if they have the things you mentioned while a Marvel movie can star no Asian and yet break bank there. Just a totally different level of popularity of DC and Marvel in those markets.

27 minutes ago, LordNox said:

But that is my point. DC movies can only do well in Asia if they have the things you mentioned while a Marvel movie can star no Asian and yet break bank there. Just a totally different level of popularity of DC and Marvel in those markets.

Marvel gained a foothold in the pop culture there earlier so that counts for a lot. A lot of Asian countries did not grow up watching Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman cartoons on TV so these movies are often their first exposure to the characters.

10 hours ago, LordNox said:

most marvel films are cgi fests and action packed . 

32 minutes ago, Wotad said:

most marvel films are cgi fests and action packed . 

Same as every other DCEU film except Shazam and it's not like Shazam is devoid of action. DC can do well in Asia as Aquaman proved but it has to be excepted that in Asia atm it simply isn't on the same level as the MCU, Jurassic World or the Fast and Furious films.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

10 hours ago, LordNox said:

Where else do you want to spread your anti-Shazam! stance? It really gets boring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I don't think he's anti-Shazam though.

the member is too good in getting something related in way too many posts. I think he/she is, but more subtle maybe than others. I seldom react in that way, when I start to get too annoyed about the swipes about a movie I am not even interested in (not anti DC, just not into stories centred on teens), it has to be a big pile up.

18 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

this has zero effect on asian boxoffice. nobody care.

Aquaman' success was same way as Venom did, deadpool did. new, fresh, different, unique, more casual.

Shazam doesn't have that. other than kids become big.. the superhero and power itself is boring.

it's not the wom killing it, it's that overall borinig look. it has nothing to sell. no fresh character/power, no big name actor/director, no previous appearing. they got one thing right, making more casual, pg/family movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CGV 19:20

1. Birthday 14k
2. Hellboy 12k
3. Money 9.8k
4. Shazam 6.7k
5. Pet Sematary 6.3k
6. Us 5.9k
7. Five Feet Apart 4.5k
8. Fall in love 3.9k
9. CM 1.7k

Hellboy cgv 79% / Pet Sematary 73%.

Edited by imbruglia
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

Aquaman' success was same way as Venom did, deadpool did. new, fresh, different, unique, more casual.

Shazam doesn't have that. other than kids become big.. the superhero and power itself is boring.

it's not the wom killing it, it's that overall borinig look. it has nothing to sell. no fresh character/power, no big name actor/director, no previous appearing. they got one thing right, making more casual, pg/family movie.

How the hell is Venom and Deadpool more unique and fresh than Shazam? Not just that but both movies completely cynical.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

How the hell is Venom and Deadpool more unique and fresh than Shazam? Not just that but both movies completely cynical.

No need to take everything literal. A anti-hero and a R rated cbm. Maybe movies are not unique but they have a selling point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

the character is more interesting and unique. shazma just looks like parody/ripoff of superman. nothing new.

I'm taling about the character and its power/look. and cleary audience/GP feel the same as boxoffice number prove it..

• Thanks 1

4/11 wed

1. birthday(+7.1%) 43,041 / 790
2. hellboy 35,670 / 587
3. money(-0.6%) 24,728 / 587
4. pet sematary 18,641 / 561
5. shazam 15,727(-34.1%) / 686
6. Us 13,607(-15.9%) / 481
7. five feet aprt 10,002 / 445
9. CM(-33.1%) 4,365 / 230

presale
1. another child 12k *open today
2. birthday 10k
3. vice 8.7k *open today / cgv exclusive
4. hellboy 6.7k
5. peppermint 6.2k *open today / lotte exclusive
7. shazam 5k
8. five feet aprt 4.5k
9. money 3.8k
10. pet sematary 2.9k

Edited by imbruglia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, pepsa said:

These drops were almost sertain in SK/China, we knew WoM wasn't verry good here. Let's see how Mexico and Europe hold in the comming weeks.  Also I made a run down in the Shazam thread on where i think it will end up (around $390m WW)

That's almost exactly where I'm at (385). A lot of it depends on US legs for me. 

• Like 1