diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

10 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Well its Asia which is really not SW's market.

They do pretty good in Japan, which is why I specified mainland. I guess they’re nothing special in India, Russia, Turkey, so didn’t really need the “East.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They do pretty good in Japan, which is why I specified mainland. I guess they’re nothing special in India, Russia, Turkey, so didn’t really need the “East.”

The markets which expanded huge post 2000 and have no nostalgic attachment to the Star Wars franchise are the ones where they don't do well. Japan was at its peak when Star Wars was at its peak, leading to the franchise doing well there. India, Korea, China etc. all became much bigger markets in the mid-2000s when there were no Star Wars movies, so there's no nostalgia pull for the franchise.

• Like 1

I didn't follow The Last Jedi run, I hadn't realized it did worse than Rogue one. Looking back on it now, it seems like bad word of mouth kicked in right on its OW, with the friday number decreasing from its thursday OD which wasn't that big to begin with. Second week was already DIW before being steamrolled by Along with the gods on day 7.

Rw2htOc.jpg

(what a horrible looking graph!)

Most top criticisms online seems to be centered around Rose and her whole plot which seemed a bit useless and forced. "Casting an ethnically east asian actor to fill the diversity quota in a useless role" seems to be the general gist of the reaction to put it kindly. 

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

The markets which expanded huge post 2000 and have no nostalgic attachment to the Star Wars franchise are the ones where they don't do well. Japan was at its peak when Star Wars was at its peak, leading to the franchise doing well there. India, Korea, China etc. all became much bigger markets in the mid-2000s when there were no Star Wars movies, so there's no nostalgia pull for the franchise.

Yes but from what I gather The last jedi pissed off fans of the nostalgia era too which makes me wonder how that will affect SW9. It seems to have fallen into a weird grey area in-between, pissing off the old fans and not generating many new ones. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

Most top criticisms online seems to be centered around Rose and her whole plot which seemed a bit useless and forced. "Casting an ethnically east asian actor to fill the diversity quota in a useless role" seems to be the general gist of the reaction to put it kindly. 

@MrPink

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

I didn't follow The Last Jedi run, I hadn't realized it did worse than Rogue one. Looking back on it now, it seems like bad word of mouth kicked in right on its OW, with the friday number decreasing from its thursday OD which wasn't that big to begin with. Second week was already DIW before being steamrolled by Along with the gods on day 7.

Rw2htOc.jpg

(what a horrible looking graph!)

Yes but from what I gather The last jedi pissed off fans of the nostalgia era too which makes me wonder how that will affect SW9. It seems to have fallen into a weird grey area in-between, pissing off the old fans and not generating many new ones. 

Do you have any OD and OW projection, like a rough idea? With 18.6k presales? 

47 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Do you have any OD and OW projection, like a rough idea? With 18.6k presales? 

Well the only certainty is that it'll be low. Other than that, I think <burning> which opened last week is a good comparison. Only Solo has had less media coverage/presales so it'll likely be a little lower. 

• Like 1

South Korea Thursday Box Office (5/24)

POSTER

Admissions      Total    Gross  Daily% weekly%  screens               Title
1   154,671    699,478  $1.17M   -4.0%      --    [1077]             Believer
2    73,222  2,737,585   $573K  -20.2%  -71.8%    [936]          Deadpool 2
3    18,844     18,844   $168K       --      --    [547]   Solo: A star wars story
4    14,367     86,780   $110K   -17.0%      --    [496]        Truth or Dare
5    14,030 10,905,079   $105K  -23.0%  -65.9%    [490]   Avengers: Infinity War

Cumulative gross

[Avengers: Infinity War]: $91.4M

[Deadpool 2]: $22.56M

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 76,053 (38.5%) Believer

02. 45,964 (23.3%) Deadpool 2

03. 19,403   (9.8%) Solo: a star wars story

04. 11,064   (5.6%) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

05.   8,420   (4.3%) Burning

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

R1 OD - 145k

SW8 OD- 115k

Solo OD - 18.8k

Solo OD is down 87% from Rogue One and  84% from SW8!!!

Holy crap that is bad

Let's say it makes 7*OD on it's OW (135k) that would be 171k * 7 = $1.2m and a drop of  70%.

Edited by pepsa