diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Let's say it makes 7*OD on it's OW (135k) that would be 171k * 7 = $1.2m and a drop of  70%.

TLJ had an OD to OW multi of 5.56x and an OD to total multi of 8.35x. If solo has the same multi it will have 

OW - 104.5k

Total - 157k ( drop of 86.3% from TLJ)

Thats a gross of about 1.5m whereas Rogue One did about 7.5m

These would be mind boggingly horrendous numbers for Solo if it happens. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

R1 OD - 145k

SW8 OD- 115k

Solo OD - 18.8k

Solo OD is down 87% from Rogue One and  84% from SW8!!!

Holy crap that is bad

Dafuq is that drop? We all knew it would do bad, but this bad???

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

TLJ had an OD to OW multi of 5.56x and an OD to total multi of 8.35x. If solo has the same multi it will have 

OW - 104.5k

Total - 157k ( drop of 86.3% from TLJ)

Thats a gross of about 1.5m whereas Rogue One did about 7.5m

These would be mind boggingly horrendous numbers for Solo if it happens. 

Yes that would be extremely bad. I knew this wasn't a called for movie but this is almost Alice in Wonderland 2 bombing. I never thought this would happen to SW. And yeah I know Asia isn't for SW and I saw the China drop comming but $1.5m - $2.5m is SK is extremely bad. And that 67% drop in France...  I hope EP9 can rebound in some markets and alteast go over TLJ.

2 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

Ironically, online reaction to Solo has been pretty positive and it's the highest rated SW film to date from TFA onwards. 

The reaction is coming from the people who went to see it, which is less than 20% of the people who went to see any of the other movies. There is a selection bias there for sure, they probably really liked it but were also fans since they were in the small number who actually went on OD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

The reaction is coming from the people who went to see it, which is less than 20% of the people who went to see any of the other movies. There is a selection bias there for sure, they probably really liked it but were also fans since they were in the small number who actually went on OD.

Well yeah, but fans can still dislike a movie like they did with TLJ. Just pointing out that despite the dire box office performance, it doesn't seem to be received too badly. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

Well yeah, but fans can still dislike a movie like they did with TLJ. Just pointing out that despite the dire box office performance, it doesn't seem to be received too badly. 

It’s an inoffensive little space adventure set in the Star Wars universe, the diehards will like it , there’s nothing to dislike for them.

as of 1am yesterday (well this morning)

My local cinema had 

21 showings of believer

19 showings of Deadpool

7 showings of Truth or Dare

6 Showings of Solo

4 Showings of Avengers

As for tickets out of 1362 possible tickets Solo can sell, it had sold 33. 

Just checking it now (its 2pm and there are 4 showings left in the day 3pm, 5:45, 8:30 and 11:15), out of 908 remaining tickets, 42 are sold). 

• Like 1

I'm more fascinated at the high level of interest in a box office bomb :ph34r: 

Myself, I've gone and booked tickets for Jurassic World :D I'm praying they will add IMAX showings in 2D but only 3D IMAX so far...:angry: ticket price is a bloody disgrace.

5 hours ago, Fish&chips said:

I think there is genuine shock at the magnitude. Even considering this is an uninterested market. 

18k opening day is less than a third of Fantastic 4's opening Day. I don't know if the stats are easy to get, but it may end up one of the worst gross/screen performances ever in this country. 

6 hours ago, Fish&chips said:

Myself, I've gone and booked tickets for Jurassic World :D I'm praying they will add IMAX showings in 2D but only 3D IMAX so far...:angry: ticket price is a bloody disgrace.

What can we expect on the low and high end for Fallen Kingdom in SK :)? JW did 42,8M US-dollar, is that a realistic goal?

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

What can we expect on the low and high end for Fallen Kingdom in SK :)? JW did 42,8M US-dollar, is that a realistic goal?

Some points of analysis:

-Jurassic World's run was a decent opening followed by good holds up to week 3

-Competition for Fallen Kingdom seems about the same level as for Jurassic World

-Because FK is opening on Memorial day holiday (JW wasn't) its opening will most likely be significantly bigger

-The week after (6/13) is another holiday so it should get a nice boost on week 2 too. 

-Despite Jurassic World's decent Box office performance, ratings were just "okay" with a naver score of 7.88/10.0. Koreans, like anyone, respond to quality so there's room for improvement there. 

-Fallen Kingdom is showing healthy early presales

-Increased profile of Star Lord in SK is a positive for FK

All in all, I hate giving range predictions, but Fallen Kingdom has a great platform to show a decent increase from JW as long as the quality of the movie delivers and drives WoM. I can't see any lower than JW's performance unless the film's quality is terrible or something. Upper range...who knows :) 

Edited by Fish&chips
  • Thanks 1

2nd day numbers and fall for TLJ and RO before Solo’s numbers come in

TLJ - 107,451 (-6.76%)(1093 screens -14)

RO - 99,032 (-31.75%)(880 screens - 27)

Rogue Ones second day was a Thursday and it increased from Thursday on Friday so we cant compare Solo to it. 

TLJ will be a better comparision as it also opened on Thursday like solo

36 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

2nd day numbers and fall for TLJ and RO before Solo’s numbers come in

TLJ - 107,451 (-6.76%)(1093 screens -14)

RO - 99,032 (-31.75%)(880 screens - 27)

Rogue Ones second day was a Thursday and it increased from Thursday on Friday so we cant compare Solo to it. 

TLJ will be a better comparision as it also opened on Thursday like solo

Friday Solo - 19,458 (+1.48%) (553 screens +7) (estimated)

Small increase for Solo. But still down -82% from TLJ 2nd day

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Friday Solo - 19,458 (+1.48%) (553 screens +7)

Small increase for Solo. But still down -82% from TLJ 2nd day

Expected a bigger increase tbh due to OD being that low. These are hilaribad numbers

South Korea Friday Box Office (5/25)

POSTER

Admissions      Total    Gross  Daily% weekly%  screens               Title
1   213,924   917,299  $1.74M +34.9%      --    [1185]             Believer
2    92,808  2,832,609   $803K +23.0%  -71.3%    [927]          Deadpool 2
3    22,022    109,354   $179K +47.6%      --    [495]        Truth or Dare
4    19,954     40,202   $181K   +4.1%      --    [554]   Solo: A star wars story
5    18,801 10,924,106   $160K  +31.1%  -68.3%    [510]   Avengers: Infinity War

Cumulative gross

[Avengers: Infinity War]: $91.56M

[Deadpool 2]: $23.36M

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 107,980 (38.4%) Believer

02.   60,840 (21.6%) Deadpool 2

03.   24,663   (8.8%) Solo: a star wars story

04.   19,430   (6.9%) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

05.   14,726   (5.2%) Avengers: Infinity War

Edited by Fish&chips
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Expected a bigger increase tbh due to OD being that low. These are hilaribad numbers

Yup every movie around it including DP2 and IW increased well. Only this had a very small increase despite the OD number being so low. Legs will not be pretty on this