diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

20 hours ago, imbruglia said:

international movies don't have legs. they are heavily driven by first week(and second).

mcu have no leg in here is just myth. and considering mcu have huge OW, it do have good legs.

2018 Biggest international movie in korea
Infinity War x2.35 (4,764,495/11,211,880)
Bohemian Rhapsody x14 (709,323/9,939,904)
MI: Fallout x1.99 (3,299,579/6,584,915)
JW Fallen Kingdom x1.75 (3,223,416/5,661,128)
Antman and Wasp x2 (2,626,042/5,447,826)
BP x1.74 (3,097,703/5,398,994)
Venom x1.86 (2,081,202/3,888,096)    
Deadpool 2 x1.91 (1,973,335/3,784,602)
COCO x4.13 (849,975/3,513,114 )
Aquaman x4 (1,250,060/5,038,134)
Incredible 2 x2.22 (1,364,502/3,033,052)
FB2 x1.58 (1,519,853/2,414,062)
Searching x5.16 (570,893/2,950,097)
MR2 x1.8 (1,265,956/2,299,732)

Mamma Mia 2 x2.66 (861,456/2,293,884)
RPO x2.28 (986,709/2,254,430)

Bumble bee x1.47 (1,056,143/1,561,644) 
Spider verse x1.85 (390,327/723,450)

CM x1.85
Alita x1.55 (1,256,871/1,951,814)
Ralph x1.93 (905,182/1,754,375) 
how to train your dragon 3 x2.4 (623,676/1,506,933)
Escape Room x1.44 (389,570/562,608) 
Glass x1.37 (339,707/466,475)
Happy Death Day 2 U x1.43 (288,142/412,850)

It's not a myth at all:lol: most have legs of 2x or less.

24 minutes ago, john2000 said:

smaller ow though

I agree but still legs aren't good if a movie like IW can do 2.25 multi other mcu movies should get over 2x.

Also Avengers did around 4 multi

Iron man 3 did a 3.3 multi

AoU did a 2.6 multi 

So I would definitly argue that even with big ow's multies were still better. MCU movies have bad legs in the sense that doing less than 2x OW isn't something to write home about. I would say that SK got more frontloaded in the last years so that also contributes.

3 hours ago, pepsa said:

I agree but still legs aren't good if a movie like IW can do 2.25 multi other mcu movies should get over 2x.

AoU did a 2.6 multi 

So I would definitly argue that even with big ow's multies were still better. MCU movies have bad legs in the sense that doing less than 2x OW isn't something to write home about. I would say that SK got more frontloaded in the last years so that also contributes.

Bad legs, normal legs, or good legs, MCU has a lot to thank SK for. This country is like the greatest pro-MCU country in the world. They eat up anything MCU.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Bad legs, normal legs, or good legs, MCU has a lot to thank SK for. This country is like the greatest pro-MCU country in the world. They eat up anything MCU.

Well I am not disagreeing with this, just wanted to point out under 2 isn't 'good' as far as legs go. Obv SK is the most MCU favorite market of all (maybe brazil is even more, and there it extends to most SH movies) This if we take in to account the top 20 movies of all time and how much of them are MCU/SH movies Brazil probably will win out.

Relative to market size, I’d say the most pro-MCU markets are SE Asia — Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, maybe Thailand/Vietnam, and especially Singapore, where the top 5 will soon  be 4 Avengers movies+IM3. Brazil is also hugely favorable to the MCU, but with the recent ERs it can’t compete with SK in USD.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pepsa said:

AoU did a 2.6 multi 

and that is the reason. we're seeing movies getting huge frontloaded screens and wed release, 1+1 sale and marketings focus on first week. it became all about first week for big movies, especially for international movie.

anyway, what I'm saying is for current status of korea boxoffice, mcu has okay to good legs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imbruglia said:

shazam is currently falling behind Money. so it might be #3 today.

CGV 16:20

1. Birthday 8.4k

2. Money 6k

3. Shazam 5.8k

4. Us 3.5k

Wtf.. This is crazy. I don't see 400M WW happening if it falls like this. 

36 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Wtf.. This is crazy. I don't see 400M WW happening if it falls like this. 

These drops were almost sertain in SK/China, we knew WoM wasn't verry good here. Let's see how Mexico and Europe hold in the comming weeks.  Also I made a run down in the Shazam thread on where i think it will end up (around $390m WW)

On 4/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, Lucasmessi12 said:

It's not a myth at all:lol: most have legs of 2x or less.

The problem often is, users here interpret numbers per their own location's or US/CAN = dom rules.

SK has complete other 'rules' than your Brazil or also the US....

Edited by terrestrial

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

The problem often is, users here interpret numbers per their own location's or US/CAN = dom rules.

SK has complete other 'rules' than your Brazil or also the US....

Not really the way interpret those numbers is by history but like I said in recent times it got more frontloaded. Still for example legs of 1.8 are still not good. I would agrue that 2.25 at this point in time is good. 5-7 years ago when I started on this forum a 2 multi wasn't anything to write home about. 

Still SH have bad legs most of the time in SK, other genres do better in that regard.  (I know horror is bad as well)

Edited by pepsa

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Not really the way interpret those numbers is by history but like I said in recent times it got more frontloaded. Still for example legs of 1.8 are still not good. I would agrue that 2.25 at this point in time is good. 5-7 years ago when I started on this forum a 2 multi wasn't anything to write home about. 

Still SH have bad legs most of the time in SK, other genres do better in that regard. 

I see it this way:

Legs are only 'bad', if they are bad within their genre or groups of material.

In some countries the mp differences between genres can be huge, in others are they comparable small or...

Out of this and some other points:

I think the discussion about bad legs in relation to a country's average leg-mp is pretty much not making really sense, only if a mp looks to be 'misbehaving' / atypical for its genre.... it can get interesting to look into reasons. And if the location has no big differences in general (and to me a 0.5 difference is still small), even less ~ important.

Such discussions even can be annoying, when ppl try to imply quality.... per leg-mp discussions (I do not mean you, generally speaking), or even worse, when they try it with the wrongly chosen comparison examples (like 20 years back to today, genres known for behaving differently...)

An example:
Horror in dom has a lower typical mp than other genres, even more strongly so if it is a long waited for release.

Me personally do not like horror. At all. (what a horror movie is seems to differ per country's definitions)

But if ppl start to speak about bad legs, completely ignoring the horror mp-rule, than I get really annoyed too.

Horror has no bad legs, horror has another leg rule.

To me everyone who speaks about bad horror legs takes either a too simple approach or tries to backhandedly take a snipe at it or something in between.

I did already I think ~ 30y BO, before I read at the forums of BOM and IMDb about ~ leg-mp, here at BOT later on still. In all my personal charts it does not even get listed.

To me mp is only about budget to end-result still.

E.g. how often a movie gets released during a holiday weekend, had previews or not or at different times.... If a movie is successful or not = end-result. I'd go nuts if I had to add xxxx different qualifiers to be aware about why this and that....

What to expect per tracking,.... yes, there those leg-rules are important. For the pre-analysts, and for the ones who want to find out why a certain movie didn't do that well before green-lightning another movie (the reasons wont be obvious per mp, but if there is room to improve, if they might find out what the reasons were).... yes, but not for the bookkeepers.

Me too expect the frontloadedness in SK and in many other countries to increase, in some even in a fast and big way. For genres more aimed at younger audience faster, aimed at older audience maybe a bit slower - for now.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, pepsa said:

A lot of earlier mcu movies did have better legs than what they have now.

I made a chart really quickly to see if this is true or not.

SK-chart.jpg

The above chart is for the 3 day OW (FSS) for all MCU movies except Captain Marvel. Y axis is the multi off of 3 day OW and x axis are the MCU movies in release order. It's really hard to say from the chart that MCU movies have gotten more frontloaded over the years. They have stabilized though around the 3x mark. 

Some early movies like Avengers, Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 3 skew the chart. But if you remove them then the chart becomes very linear. I also charted the full OW (4 or 5 days) and found things to be not much different (except 1 or 2 outliers like Guardians 2).

What is interesting is that unlike conventional wisdom, the bigger the movie the better its legs are in many cases like IW, AoU, Avengers, Iron Man 3, etc. Whereas some of the lowest opening movies also had some of the worse legs like Hulk and Captain America 1

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1