diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

A strong first 2 days for H&S thanks to National Liberation Day, but it looks like Friday will see huge drops for most movies, more so than last Thursday Liberation Day. Very curious to see how much frontloading there is as a result of the holiday, but it seems like it should end up better vs F8 than in most other countries.

• Thanks 1

Aug 16, 2019

Rank Title Release Date Daily Gross
(Total)
Admissions
(Total)
Number of Screens Revenue Share
1 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

U.S.

Aug 14, 2019 $2,118,906
($8,676,543)
(1,185,655)
1,287 37.39%
2 The Battle: Roar to Victory

The Battle: Roar to Victory

South Korea

Aug 07, 2019 $1,468,423
($23,559,202)
(3,356,034)
1,161 25.91%
3 EXIT

EXIT

South Korea

Jul 31, 2019 $1,448,007
($48,525,918)
(6,989,254)
1,009 25.55%
4 Warning: Do Not Play

Warning: Do Not Play

South Korea

Aug 15, 2019 $116,900
($375,050)
(50,807)
418 2.06%
5 The Secret Life of Pets 2

The Secret Life of Pets 2

U.S.

Jul 31, 2019 $78,791
($6,476,977)
(1,027,835)
324 1.39%
  • Like 3

Aug 17, 2019

Rank Title Release Date Daily Gross
(Total)
Admissions
(Total)
Number of Screens Revenue Share
1 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

U.S.

Aug 14, 2019 $3,293,859
($11,980,319)
(1,622,242)
1,304 37.72%
2 The Battle: Roar to Victory

The Battle: Roar to Victory

South Korea

Aug 07, 2019 $2,261,222
($25,824,496)
(3,666,956)
1,181 25.89%
3 EXIT

EXIT

South Korea

Jul 31, 2019 $2,196,709
($50,725,667)
(7,292,230)
1,027 25.16%
4 My TYRANO: Together, Forever

My TYRANO: Together, Forever

South Korea

Aug 14, 2019 $183,220
($797,238)
(121,446)
511 2.09%
5 The Secret Life of Pets 2

The Secret Life of Pets 2

U.S.

Jul 31, 2019 $122,315
($6,599,450)
(1,046,079)
342 1.4%
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

I feel like Parasite would do really well commercially in NA if given a wide release. but knowing NEON... probably not

USA has not been kind to foreign language film, and Neon has only two films passed 10m in the company history.  Crouching Dragon(128m), hero(54m) and La vita e bella(57m) are a kind of foreign language film epic run that will never happened in today landscape. The highest grossing non-english film in recent year was Baahubali 2 with 20m. Parasite will need luck to even hit half of the gross.   

How american resist foreign language film is even evident when you realise Intouchable (french) made more money in SK than in USA.   

43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

USA has not been kind to foreign language film, and Neon has only two films passed 10m in the company history.  Crouching Dragon(128m), hero(54m) and La vita e bella(57m) are a kind of foreign language film epic run that will never happened in today landscape. The highest grossing non-english film in recent year was Baahubali 2 with 20m. Parasite will need luck to even hit half of the gross.   

How american resist foreign language film is even evident when you realise Intouchable (french) made more money in SK than in USA.   

it's mostly because they're not given a wide release.. 
(like with Intouchables in your example it only played in less than 200 theaters at most in the US)

a movie as accessible as Parasite will be a hit with most audiences, it already made 8.5M in France.

Edited by RealLyre

31 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

(like with Intouchables in your example it only played in less than 200 theaters at most in the US)

a movie as accessible as Parasite will be a hit with most audiences, it already made 8.5M in France.

A bit of a chicken and egg situation, they do not achieve to earn a wide release because they do not do that well even in their best market during their limited one.

Weinstein didn't usually started them wide

Intouchables

weekend 1: 25.8k PTA in 4 theater

weekend 2: 6.5k PTA in 50 theater

Amélie

weekend 1: 45.5k PTA in 3 theater

weekend 2: 16.1k PTA in 48 theater

Life Is beautiful achieve over 7.5K PTa on a 110 theater weekend, Crouching tigger kept over 20K on over 150 theater.

I am not sure it is mostly because of that, it would not be that complicated to do wide release of them if it was the only issue, you can acquire the domestic market for almost nothing.

A bit like more traditionnal type of animation got rejected by audience (Disney continued to propose them at a very high budget-production value and release budget) for a very long time after Shrek and Monster Inc, they pretty much stopped working since audience got use to the pixar-dreamwork style. The same seem to have happened to subtitle movies (foreign language like Indian movie targetting and playing in indien community do work for their scale).

https://www.indiewire.com/2014/05/the-lonely-subtitle-heres-why-u-s-audiences-are-abandoning-foreign-language-films-27051/

Not having Weinstein to champion them, Focus feature leaving that market, etc..., obviously do not help, but the decline started before that and in reaction to the decline, not necessarily the reason.

Edited by Barnack
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

I don't really know if there's anything about the modern box office landscape that makes foreign language movies more unlikely to break through. Maybe the late 90s and early 00s was just a special time. Instructions Not Included in 2013 still did pretty well, though.

Maybe it just has to appeal to American tastes. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero are both martial arts action movies, after all. And World War II/The Holocaust was familiar to US audiences by the time Life is Beautiful came along (I think that movie was dubbed rather than subtitled most of the time, maybe to market it to children).

Maybe Intouchables just didn't appeal to the USA.

As for Parasite, I dunno. Maybe it will make $25 million USA+Canada.

Edited by cannastop

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Maybe it just has to appeal to American tastes. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero are both martial arts action movies, after all. And World War II/The Holocaust was familiar to US audiences by the time Life is Beautiful came along (I think that movie was dubbed rather than subtitled most of the time, maybe to market it to children).

Maybe Intouchables just didn't appeal to the USA.

Put Kevin Hart in it and make them speak in English and it get really big despite being a significantly worst movie too, Green Book was really good but not necessarily that much better than Intouchable, was almost the same movie and did much better in the US.

Edited by Barnack

30 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Put Kevin Hart in it and make them speak in English and it get really big despite being a significantly worst movie too, Green Book was really good but not necessarily that much better than Intouchable, was almost the same movie and did much better in the US.

Well yeah that too. Obviously most Americans prefer movies with native English speakers speaking English. A remake of Intouchables might do as much as Green Book, I guess.

Edited by cannastop

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well yeah that too. Obviously most Americans prefer movies with native English speakers speaking English. A remake of Intouchables might do as much as Green Book, I guess.

I think you missed the fact that The Upside is a remake of Intouchables and made more than Green Book.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Barnack wasn't speaking hypothetically.  

The Upside STX $108,252,517 3,568 $20,355,000 3,080 1/11/2019

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

A remake of Intouchables might do as much as Green Book, I guess.

Well considering a remake of the Intouchable just did 108m domestic while Green Book made 85M it is not much of a speculation (edit, oops already being posted twice....) .

Edited by Barnack

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Barnack wasn't speaking hypothetically.  

The Upside STX $108,252,517 3,568 $20,355,000 3,080 1/11/2019

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well considering a remake of the Intouchable just did 108m domestic while Green Book made 85M it is not much of a speculation (edit, oops already being posted twice....) .

I got it. I still think that's about the level of Green Book.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I got it. I still think that's about the level of Green Book.

Yes, difference between the 2 being probably just Kevin Hart being a giant dbo draw.

It just how The Intouchable was probably even in today environment a 100M in the US movie like in most of the world if it was not foreign language/setting,