diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

More Tenet advanced shows today, should be top 3 again.   

That means EOD PS are going to be pretty weak, but the demand burn from hardcore fans this wknd should help OD PSm

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 5

Don’t know if it’s just poorly worded but seems like cinemas may be closed in Seoul.

”In addition to mandating masks, Seo also said the city will apply a "one strike and you're out" policy on facilities that must be closed while Seoul remains under strict social distancing guidelines.

The list includes restaurants at least 150 square meters in size, water parks, cinemas and concert halls. Starting Monday, a single violation will result in a two-week suspension of operations. Depending on the severity of the violation, the city may also levy a fine of a maximum 3 million won (US$2,520) and press charges.”

source: https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=294805

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Don’t know if it’s just poorly worded but seems like cinemas may be closed in Seoul.

”In addition to mandating masks, Seo also said the city will apply a "one strike and you're out" policy on facilities that must be closed while Seoul remains under strict social distancing guidelines.

The list includes restaurants at least 150 square meters in size, water parks, cinemas and concert halls. Starting Monday, a single violation will result in a two-week suspension of operations. Depending on the severity of the violation, the city may also levy a fine of a maximum 3 million won (US$2,520) and press charges.”

source: https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=294805

I think it is just stricter rule. They are still open until violation of such.

No big opening now but I hope the first two week number will be kind of similar.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tenet-korea-previews-box-office-coronavirus-cinema-closures-1203021320/

In an effort to rein in resurgent coronavirus cases in Seoul, Korean authorities last week tightened restrictions on public gatherings. This dealt a blow to the local box office which has seen strong performances over the past several weeks with titles like Peninsula and Deliver Us From Evil. But the Top 5 films in the market this session grossed a cumulative $3.39M, a sharp 73% decrease versus last weekend.

The news comes as Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is due for wide release in Korea on Wednesday. In two days of previews this weekend, the highly anticipated Warner Bros title grossed a solid estimated $717K on about 590 screens with limited capacity, according to Kobiz.

Pre-sales for Tenet have been very strong in the market. Nearly all available IMAX shows had been sold out as of mid-week last week, according to exhibition giant CGV. But, Yonhap reported that with tightened social distancing guidelines limiting indoor gatherings to 50 people in the greater Seoul region, CGV lowered seating capacity to 50%, suspending its ticket booking service. The CGV Yongsan venue has also been temporarily closed.

Now, a near total lockdown may be looming. If the government raises the current Level 2 social distancing guidelines to Level 3, it would mean public gatherings of more than 10 people would be banned and all movie theaters, schools and cafes shuttered.

• Like 1

Seems like 105k final pre-sales for TENET.

I expect 100-115k OD. On low end 625k 5 Days, while on high end 750k.

In $ that's $800-900k OD, $5-6mn weekend.

Will edit this post in exact 1 hour. 

Edit:

It's more OD loaded than usual. Expecting 150-160k OD. Low end 925k 5 Days while high end would go 1.05mn admits.

In $ that's $1.2-1.3mn OD, $7.5-8.5mn weekend + $715k previews.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like 105k final pre-sales for TENET.

I expect 100-115k OD. On low end 625k 5 Days, while on high end 750k.

In $ that's $800-900k OD, $5-6mn weekend.

Will edit this post in exact 1 hour. 

Hopefully with WOM, this can get more than 3x multiplier. Hoping for at least $20m total. There isn't any holiday up close but I think 4x multi is possible if the wom is great. If not at least with 3x multi.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

35k CGV PS for OD. My guess will be 155 for full day.   

3x from the 5-day is really really tough, so far legs haven’t really been better than usual for movies in this period. 

Ah yeah I forget it's for 5 days WE. At least hopefully wom will be good. There isn't any big movie release in at least 3 weeks ahead right ? . Hope that will help it at least with no holiday support also. 

28 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

35k CGV PS for OD. My guess will be 155 for full day.   

3x from the 5-day is really really tough, so far legs haven’t really been better than usual for movies in this period. 

It might have the advantage that the restriction might get weakend over time (since they got harsher first)

Also 3x legs are rare if it goes over that it normaly goes over by a lot.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

how early reactions look like?

I saw 9.06 & 8.25 on naver. 

Seems like the response is good but a bit mixed, seeing few 1 and 6 that drag the rating down. Hope it stays above 8.5 at least for audience rating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

how early reactions look like?

I saw 9.06 & 8.25 on naver. 

Currently Naver 

8.7 verified (16 reviews)  

9.1 all audience (203 reviews)  

Nolan comps:
Inception 9.6, 9.23 
Interstellar 9.1, 9.1
Dunkirk 8.6, 8.3   

Not enough reviews for egg to show a % yet, but visually inspecting I think initial reading will be 94-95ish, probably drop a bit later on. 

Dunkirk 93%

Interstellar 94% 

Inception 99%  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Naver verified up to 9.1, the early 1 getting washed away.   

OTOH, initial egg comes in at 91%. I take egg a bit more seriously but both are still liable to move around a fair bit.   

As far as daily pace it’s about normal, maybe slightly slower than hoped. Don’t know exactly how evening it will skew but would adjust expectations to 140s. With discounted tickets thanks to culture day should be ~$900k

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1