diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

2M looks pretty tough for DS again, more 1.8-1.9 is my guess. Incredible legs still, should pass Nobody and Book of Fish soon to start in the top 3 for a bit longer.   

GvK at 667k after about 74k week, with more competition incoming tomorrow and Friday I guess it will miss 750. 

• Like 1

so the Shangchi reaction in south korea is bad.

the reactions are pretty much like this.

1. they don't look good, we want handsome/pretty non-stereotype asian faces.

2. chinese thing again. eww.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS has new big free merchandise release on Saturday. 

now  it has +18k presale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

18 hours ago, imbruglia said:

so the Shangchi reaction in south korea is bad.

the reactions are pretty much like this.

1. they don't look good, we want handsome/pretty non-stereotype asian faces.

2. chinese thing again. eww.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS has new big free merchandise release on Saturday. 

now  it has +18k presale.

Same as in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore - the comments are not the same, but the reactions are mostly negative as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Same as in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore - the comments are not the same, but the reactions are mostly negative as well.

The social media locally straight up calling Shang Chi as the ugliest superhero and somehow the comment receive a lot of likes. (Feel so sorry for the actor) . Many think why hollywood would rather cast an uncle than picking someone more handsome or charismatic. Most of the comment agree that the white superhero among MCU are far more attractive than this Asian superhero. 

I must say  there is some discrepancies in Aesthetic preferences for eastern and western. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

The social media locally straight up calling Shang Chi as the ugliest superhero and somehow the comment receive a lot of likes. (Feel so sorry for the actor) . Many think why hollywood would rather cast an uncle than picking someone more handsome or charismatic. Most of the comment agree that the white superhero among MCU are far more attractive than this Asian superhero. 

I must say  there is some discrepancies in Aesthetic preferences for eastern and western. 

As an Asian, I can say there are a lot of handsome Asian (Chinese) dudes.. like Ludi Lin, Ross Butler. Older guys we have Andy Lau, Donnie Yen, Aaron Kwok.

But Marvel went with Simu Liu... i mean, i get where the criticism comes from.

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

As an Asian, I can say there are a lot of handsome Asian (Chinese) dudes.. like Ludi Lin, Ross Butler. Older guys we have Andy Lau, Donnie Yen, Aaron Kwok.

But Marvel went with Simu Liu... i mean, i get where the criticism comes from.

i am not asian, but simu seems very good to me, i dont get the problem with how an actor looks anyway

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i am not asian, but simu seems very good to me, i dont get the problem with how an actor looks anyway

I think as Asians; where we finally get a superhero that supposed here to represent us; we did not expect the stereotypical small eyes, somewhat round nose "uncle" to represent us. I mean the same criticism about looks can be seen as top comments on various Marvel Asian countries FB page.

Are you an Asian by an chance? If you are not; i don't expect you to understand.. so no fault on you. Similar the higher ups in Disney and Marvel probably don't get it as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As an Asian,  a Chinese decedent, Simu does look like some 2nd/3rd tier star to me.

This.. Immediately gave alot of people.. a very low budget / TV series type of vibe.

I mean some things are not easily put into words; but this is the feeling I get and also from the many many comments I read in Mandarin in Chinese speaking countries through Marvel's various FB page.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

As an Asian,  a Chinese decedent, Simu does look like some 2nd/3rd tier star to me.

Someone like teen lead in Detective Chinatown, could have looked better I guess. He does look cute. Again speaking from outsider but neighbor perspective.

That said, the guy playing younger Shang Chi looked nice.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Someone like teen lead in Detective Chinatown, could have looked better I guess. He does look cute. Again speaking from outsider but neighbor perspective.

Yes. Liu Haoran; that is what Chinese people regard as good looking. Plus he is Chinese while Simu Liu is considered ABC and a foreigner / outsider by the Chinese netizens.

• Like 1