diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Early weekend estimates are here! (Wait for the actual until tomorrow)TASM : 4 day admission : 1.70m / USD Gross : 13.26m40m+ above finish is near. Competition is empty until TDKR to come (with minor domestic threats)For other releasesCabin in the Woods : 131k admission / $0.87mTotalsMadagascar 3 : 1.44m admission / $9.80mLockout : 457k admission / $2.91mWait for full actual chart tomorrow!

It will pass SM3 despite a weaker currency :D

2D Tickets are usually 8000 won (with a child discount) about 7 dollar for today's currency

3D Tickets are usually 13000 won, about 11.3 dollar

IMAX 3D Tickets are usually 16000 won, about 14 dollar

And there are various ways of discount, so that should be considered

Yes like Peppero Thursdays where before and after the respective 11'o'clocks, ticket prices reduce by 3000 won.

Spiderman was busy but not sold out in Ulsan on Thursday late night showing.

I have no idea why Lockout seems to have been in cinemas for weeks whereas Snow White and others disappeared in like a week.

It's really impressive for country with 49 million people, almost 50% higher than Spain which has an equivalent population (47 million inhabitants).But I'm pretty sure the roof has been reached, the growth will slow dramatically this decade, or stagnate because of demographic trends.

Long Time, I come back with last week's boxoffice stuff.Deranged, local horror movie opened with surprisingly high number and arrived at No.1 spot.It did came out of nowhere, so it might hurt TASM more than expected.Weekend Score : 1.33m admission / 8.41m USD grossTASM had its fine second week - for 3-day weekend it had 1.06m admission / 7.87m USD grossThe total is now at 25.75m USD / 3.36m admissionObviously the leg is not at the level of Transformer 1, but it is better than decent.So 5 million admission and 38m USD finish is looking good.For other foreign moviesMadagascar 3 held well, weekend gross is 513k and total is now at 10.5m USD.(1.55m admission)The Raven was meh... debut in 5th position. 4-day gross is 574kMeanwhile, Midnight In Paris is biggest Woody Allen opener in SK. Opened with 530k USD and 80k admission.Haywire - not much to say. 214k grossCabin in the Woods dropped almost 80 percent. Total is now at 1.40m USD and will leave theater this week.We have many many small films opening this week, none of them seems to impact the charts.Maybe one or two domestic movies, well.From foreign movies, Limitless (finally!) is the biggest of them all.

A real life Korean? I want to speak your language -bows down-

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US Department of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages for their professional staff (native English speakers who generally already know other languages). Of the 63 languages analyzed, the five most difficult languages to reach proficiency in speaking and reading, requiring 88 weeks (2200 class hours), are Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean. The National Virtual Translation Center notes that Japanese is typically more difficult to learn than other languages in this group,[5] while the Foreign Service Institute makes this statement about Korean.[6]

Good luck ;)

I have learned English,Latin, Russian and French in school. In former times you had to learn Latin to study anything. When I started with Russian, the Sowjetunion was an empire. Older people from the former republics still communicate in Russian, but the younger generation only learns English. In Vietnam only very old people speak French (from colonial time) or Russian (as the language of their former allies). French was the language of Diplomats in the west as was Persian in the east. Maybe there is a reason to learn Arabic, Spanish and Mandarin for some parts of the world, but English brings you along the most.

• Like 1

I have learned English,Latin, Russian and French in school. In former times you had to learn Latin to study anything. When I started with Russian, the Sowjetunion was an empire. Older people from the former republics still communicate in Russian, but the younger generation only learns English. In Vietnam only very old people speak French (from colonial time) or Russian (as the language of their former allies). French was the language of Diplomats in the west as was Persian in the east. Maybe there is a reason to learn Arabic, Spanish and Mandarin for some parts of the world, but English brings you along the most.

Exactly :)I study global trade,English is clearly the most important, a high proficiency in English is compulsory for recruiters, they don't care about the other languages, it's just an extra.