diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Masquerade will pass 8 million admissions during the weekend, and will have a shot at 10 mil total.

First year with two 10 million movies, insane...

And Taken 2 will pass 2m admissions, will probably end up with 2.5M, quite good.

Well Ted is only on 204 screens. All other new release big movies are on 500-800 screens. That's not a main reason, but it definitely counts. It's got 610 screenings per day. Other movies like Masquerade have 3,844 screenings per day, and Taken 2 has 2,907 screenings per day. This definitely limits its box office.

It also is not as popular as other movies, but the screenings do not help at all.

Ted bombed with 139K admissions for 5 days.

For comparison, Hangover 2 did less than 100k during its entire run.I guess SK isn't a good market for these adult comedies.BTW they are too busy Gangnam Styling right now.

I think some of the big reasons cinema admissions do so well here:Local films:Since the end of censorship 15 years ago, Korean cinema has consistently produced high quality films that the local audience will happily choose over the Hollywood offerings.Said with absolutely no numbers or proof I would guess there are not many other countries out there that have a top 10 all time box office chart made of almost exclusively local films.Hanging out with friends outside of home:When I was at school, most of the time spent with friends was at each others' homes playing games or whatever. Here in Korea it is not common to invite friends round to your home so you meet in the downtown areas. From here, your daytime choices are essentially coffee or cinema.Dating:Again, it is common for people to live with parents until marriage, even if they are 30 years old or even older. Therefore again, the option of a night at home together is more difficult and unappealing so you go out and thus the lure of the cinema is greater.Or maybe just the films this year have been better :)Like I said this is all speculation and guessing.

Given the terrible birth rate here I don't think these numbers won't grow much, the end of admissions growth is close, maybe the beginning of a decrease in some years.

I think it'll be like Japan, reaching a certain high point (say 170m) and plateauing for maybe a decade. Any significant admissions decrease won't happen for a long time.