diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

2012 will be biggest year of Korea box office historyonly need 4.7 million admissions to top last year's record.Local movies share is 58%, very healthy.

The problem SK has though is that filmmakers are screwed when the cinema release ends. THere is next to no secondary income from DVD sales and the like.So when a film like Masquerade makes $70M at the boxoffice, it will still barely make it past $90 or $100M in total revenue (unless it breaks out in a foreign market.A Korean film will never be saved by the DVD release like Hollywood and European films can be. In fact I think most Korean films sell more DVD copies in the UK than they do in Korea (I have no proof of this final statement though :) )

2012 will be biggest year of Korea box office historyonly need 4.7 million admissions to top last year's record.Local movies share is 58%, very healthy.

The problem SK has though is that filmmakers are screwed when the cinema release ends. THere is next to no secondary income from DVD sales and the like.So when a film like Masquerade makes $70M at the boxoffice, it will still barely make it past $90 or $100M in total revenue (unless it breaks out in a foreign market.A Korean film will never be saved by the DVD release like Hollywood and European films can be. In fact I think most Korean films sell more DVD copies in the UK than they do in Korea (I have no proof of this final statement though :) )

This situation is quite the same as China.