diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

7 movies opened in these two days in order to capitalize the 6 days weekend.

Somehow, tenet survived the slaughter of the newcomer and was actually up 73% from last week and sit at #5, consider it lost more than half of its screen.

Sep 30, 2020

Rank Title Release Date Daily Gross
(Total)
Admissions
(Total)
Number of Screens Revenue Share
1 Pawn

Pawn

South Korea

Sep 29, 2020 $715,356
($1,093,456)
(164,582)
1,036 27.5%
2 The Golden Holiday

The Golden Holiday

South Korea

Sep 29, 2020 $650,840
($1,141,041)
(174,875)
1,073 25.02%
3 Greenland

Greenland

U.S.

Sep 29, 2020 $277,812
($422,491)
(63,920)
604 10.68%
4 Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution

Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution

Japan

Sep 30, 2020 $168,505
($168,505)
(24,583)
591 6.47%
5 Tenet

Tenet

U.S.

Aug 26, 2020 $165,580
($13,631,953)
(1,735,314)
384 6.36%
6 Night of the Undead

Night of the Undead

South Korea

Sep 29, 2020 $132,883
($242,135)
(36,494)
568 5.1%
7 극장판 미니특공대: 햄버거괴물의 습격

극장판 미니특공대: 햄버거괴물의 습격

South Korea

Sep 30, 2020 $57,779
($60,420)
(8,755)
382 2.22%
8 그대, 고맙소 : 김호중 생애 첫 팬미팅 무비

그대, 고맙소 : 김호중 생애 첫 팬미팅 무비

South Korea

Sep 29, 2020 $215,008
($600,601)
(22,941)
102 8.26%
9 The Swordsman

The Swordsman

South Korea

Sep 23, 2020 $52,458
($993,549)
(136,755)
292 2.01%
10 브레이크 더 사일런스: 더 무비

브레이크 더 사일런스: 더 무비

South Korea

Sep 24, 2020 $39,728
($691,008)
(92,076)
147 1.52%
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tenet (1,827,159)
preview weekend: 84,706 (*8/22~23, 2 days )
weekend 1: 353,106 
weekend 2: 224,516 (-36.4%)
weekend 3: 163,629 (-27.1%)
weekend 4: 122,179 (-26.0%)    
weekend 5: 91,561 (-25.1%)
weekend 6: 67,643 (-26.1%)

week 1 : 575,699  *5 days including culture day
week 2 : 399,392 (-30.6%)
week 3 : 274,004 (-31.4%)
week 4 : 201,147 (-27.0%)
week 5 : 146,981 (-26.9%)
week 6 : 143,809 (-2.2%)  *Culture day + Holidays

-------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday Box office Total

Tenet : 1,836,942    
Greenland : 254,410
Mulan : 234,132

• Like 4

CGV to close 30 percent of its theaters due to pandemic slump

CGV, the country's largest multiplex operator, said Monday it will reduce 30 percent of its cinemas as the pandemic continues to slam the movie industry.

As part of its restructuring plan, the chain will close 35 to 40 theaters, which accounts for nearly 30 percent of its theaters nationwide, within three years. 

The opening of new branches will be delayed or called off, as the company's revenue is estimated to have fallen nearly 70 percent from a year earlier, a reflection of the struggles domestic movie theaters have been facing since COVID-19 hit the country in February. 

As for existing branches, the company will introduce a more flexible policy such as limiting the number of screenings depending on the film lineup and estimated audience size. For instance, some theaters are considering closing during weekdays and opening only on weekends to improve operational efficiency. 

The move comes as films studios are continuing to delay tentpole movies because of the ongoing pandemic. The premiere of sci-fi adventure "Space Sweepers," one of the most-anticipated blockbusters this year, was put on hold, while the opening of the homegrown mystery thriller film "Call" was delayed indefinitely. 

According to data from the Korean Film Council, the number of moviegoers this year through September plummeted by 70.8 percent from the same period a year ago. 

Earlier, the movie chain announced it will raise ticket prices by up to 2,000 won ($1.75) starting Oct. 26. According to CGV, ticket prices will rise to 12,000 won and 13,000 won for 2D films after 1 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends (Friday to Sunday), respectively.

It will also abolish the current seat pricing system in which seats are priced differently by zones ― economy, standard and prime. Seats in the prime zone cost 2,000 won more than economy seats. However, it will keep the 1,000 won discount for the first two rows. Ticket prices for 4DX and IMAX theaters will also rise by 1,000 won.

"We've been tightening our belt to deal with the financial crisis brought about by the pandemic, but due to the prolonged fallout from COVID-19 and a number of homegrown and Hollywood tentpole releases being postponed, we felt it was necessary to implement tough self-rescue measures," a CGV official said. "We will come up with stronger measures if necessary."

Source: http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=297814

23 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

51k OD, looks like today will be ~40k from PS. Not too many sales for Friday onward, but not too low either. Going to guess 5-day around 330k.

Mmm, shouldn't have changed to 40 from the 41 I initially wrote.   

Fri CGV PS are pretty strong at 25k. I forgot Xmas is actually much more relevant in SK than neighboring Japan. Today might go for around 88k but more volatility there than a usual day 3. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Mmm, shouldn't have changed to 40 from the 41 I initially wrote.   

Fri CGV PS are pretty strong at 25k. I forgot Xmas is actually much more relevant in SK than neighboring Japan. Today might go for around 88k but more volatility there than a usual day 3. 

Looks like Xmas comes in strong (relatively) with 100k. Just 13k CGV PS for Sat, gonna aim at 64k. 330k for 5-day still looking good.

Q: How do you see the post-"Parasite" Korean cinema? Do you think there will be movies that can captivate viewers in the U.S. and Europe just as "Parasite" did last year? 

A: I think that certainly the future films of Bong Joon-ho will be extremely competitive in the global market. It's not certain yet whether other Korean directors or individual films will be able to break through, but I think viewers in the U.S. and Europe may be more willing to give Korean films a chance after "Parasite"s success. For example, I'm very curious to see how Park Chan-wook's new film, which will come out in the second half of 2021 will be received around the world. Given the overall high quality of Korean filmmaking, there is the potential for more international success (though probably not on the level of "Parasite").

Korea has a strong movie going culture and people enjoy socializing outside of the home. Movie theaters are popular for the same reasons that cafes are so popular in Korea: it's part of the social life. And there is a huge backlog of high quality films that are waiting to be released in theaters as soon as the pandemic is over. I think this summer, theaters will be full to bursting. 

Q: What do you think about the Netflix factor on Korean cinema? Is it bad for all players in the film industry? 

A: Up until the pandemic, Korea had a very strong theatrical market for film. In 2019, Koreans bought more movie tickets per capita than anywhere else in the world. So local film studios could still compete with Netflix on an even footing. But of course the pandemic decimated the theatrical market in 2020 and therefore completely changed the power relationships in the film industry. The big question is, will the balance of power return to its old levels after the pandemic is over? I'm sure Netflix will continue to gain power but my feeling is that the big Korean film studios will also recover to a great extent after people return to theaters. 

As for Korean independent filmmakers, they have a different distribution model and so they're not really competing as directly with Netflix. It's also true that to date, Netflix has not shown much interest in producing or acquiring many low-budget Korean independent films. 

Q: Walt Disney announced in December that they will launch Disney Plus in Korea, Eastern Europe and Hong Kong in 2021. Do you think Netflix will suffer the consequences? What about Korean film studios and independent filmmakers?

A: Disney Plus obviously has an incredible lineup of content, so I expect it will be very successful in Korea as it has in the U.S. This will put more pressure on Netflix to produce strong original content, because that is what will keep people subscribed to their services. This may provide more opportunities for filmmakers, actually, but it will certainly be very expensive for Netflix. As for Korean film studios, if there is more competition in the OTT market in general, that could drive up prices and help them to earn a bit more revenue. 

Q: Hallyu as a cultural phenomenon is unique in that it initially began in Japan in the early 2000s with the popularity of Korean dramas. Then Asian viewers' attention shifted to K-pop, which later created a global sensation with the rise of BTS. Korean cinema drew attention afterwards. Was there any case similar to hallyu in which the popularity of one pop culture area has sparked overseas fans' interest in other cultural content of the same country? 

A: It may not be quite on the same level, but I think Japanese popular culture produced a similar sort of dynamic in the 1990s. In some other parts of Asia, especially Taiwan or Hong Kong, interest in all kinds of Japanese pop culture was quite strong. In the U.S. I met many people who were avid fans of Japanese animation and who actively tried to learn more about Japanese culture. Japanese pop culture was banned in Korea in the 1990s, so I'm not sure how well people remember it here. But Japanese anime, manga, Hello Kitty, pop music, TV dramas, etc. did make an impact in many countries. I think the difference with hallyu is that fan engagement with Korean pop culture is much more intense, thanks to the internet.

Q: What do you think about the role of the government in hallyu? Do you think the government's intervention in pop culture will inevitably create a backlash? 

A: Sometimes it's a mistake for governments to directly invest in content because it can skew markets in unhelpful ways. But we can make exceptions for alternative content like independent/arthouse films which struggle to compete with mainstream films. This kind of investment can help content to become more diverse, which usually makes cultural industries more successful in the long term. The other kind of government support that can be quite effective is to help create a more favorable environment for content. For example, promoting film culture, giving filmmakers access to more training, helping to educate the populace about cinema, supporting film festivals that introduce audiences to a wider range of films, etc. 

Great interview from Korea Times with the person who did English Subtitles for Parasite about the future of Korean Cinema and impact of Netflix and Disney+ in the region.

Source: http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=301590

8 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Soul with nearly 51% of the presales with 36K+. Looks for a breakout!

I will be watching Egg closely on OD, but the PS aren’t really looking like a breakout, just solid. It’s some 35% of Peninsula D-2 PS. A big movie will have much more share than 51% on D-2 as well.   

If Soul is going to do very well will need a couple of nearly flat/increasing weekends. Probably not room with restrictions to get that kind of run from Soul and DS a week later, so we’ll see which it happens to (if either).

• Like 1