diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

23 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

PSm dropped to 2.65, within normal range.  43k day. 

Wed CGV PS are 15k, which is nuts. I can only assume that megabox cut a bunch of Soul screens for DS, artificially diverting more of Soul’s total business to CGV. Hard to say how that will affect Soul’s walkup business at CGV, or the CGV %, so no projection for today.  

DS has 81k total PS. Not sure how many are megabox for D-0 vs other chains D-7.

I want to know it too.... it is difficult to predict in thia case....

15 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Wed CGV PS are 15k, which is nuts. I can only assume that megabox cut a bunch of Soul screens for DS, artificially diverting more of Soul’s total business to CGV. Hard to say how that will affect Soul’s walkup business at CGV, or the CGV %, so no projection for today.  

Oh, nevermind, nevermind, Culture Day. Still not going to project per se, but the 15k looks perfectly normal. If there’s not much effect from DS at megabox, would think maybe 33 final at CGV for some 65k day.

3 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Oh, nevermind, nevermind, Culture Day. Still not going to project per se, but the 15k looks perfectly normal. If there’s not much effect from DS at megabox, would think maybe 33 final at CGV for some 65k day.

Occupancy are so low, removing even half screens won't impact psm.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jatvision said:

Occupancy are so low, removing even half screens won't impact psm.

Yeah, expecting normal PSm for culture day, but not sure what that will be. Only first Wed culture day on the sheet is F2 and the magnitudes/PSm are... a little different 😛   

The DS at megabox situation could impact the CGV %, though I don’t think it will be by that much — should be plenty of megabox seats for both.

Edited by WandaLegion

11 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

PSm dropped to 2.65, within normal range.  43k day. 

DS has 81k total PS. Not sure how many are megabox for D-0 vs other chains D-7.

you are absolutely killing it with your estimates.

SOUL

SOUL

U.S. 

Jan 20, 2021 $352,360
($4,128,871)
(496,738)
1,708 82.31

29 minutes ago, CoolK said:

you are absolutely killing it with your estimates.

SOUL

SOUL

U.S. 

Jan 20, 2021 $352,360
($4,128,871)
(496,738)
1,708 82.31

Haha, to be clear, the first part of the messages around 00:30 Korean time are not estimates — I’m just reporting what the PSm (at CGV) actually was and what the day actually came in at for the day that just ended, as compared to the projection in the 2nd part of the self-quote.

Then the next paragraph reports what the presales at CGV are for the upcoming day, and gives a projection for it. Though I have also been pretty happy with those, lot of <10% errors.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

Soul CGV ended at 33k exactly as predicted, CGV % rose just slightly to 52.4% for a 63k day.   

DS is barely in 1st place with an OD of 66.5k. Reception on naver and megabox seems very good, no CGV egg until next week of course.   

For Thurs, Soul PS are 7.9k. Guessing PSm drops to 2.4 or so for a 36k day. 

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Soul CGV ended at 33k exactly as predicted, CGV % rose just slightly to 52.4% for a 63k day.   

DS is barely in 1st place with an OD of 66.5k. Reception on naver and megabox seems very good, no CGV egg until next week of course.   

For Thurs, Soul PS are 7.9k. Guessing PSm drops to 2.4 or so for a 36k day. 

It seems DS was played on 380 screens on OD at Megabox cinema chain. 

Source: a twitter account.

japan animations has very small market. pretty much only the japan comic nerds watch it.

Megabox sold limited puzzles, limited character cards and limited special ticket give away.

they were all sold out right away. this was one of reason why OD was big.

it will be interesting to see Thursday numbers. 

I guess its boxoffice will heavily depends on how many special merchandise they will release.

Megabox will do limited poster next week(Feb 3), and CGV and Lotte might do their own too.

Rank Title Release Date Daily Gross
(Total)
Admissions
(Total)
Number of Screens Revenue Share
1 Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie - Mugen Train

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie - Mugen Train

Japan

Jan 27, 2021 $445,516
($541,022)
(76,911)
380 41.7%
2 SOUL

SOUL

U.S.

Jan 20, 2021 $396,541
($4,525,015)
(559,749)
1,480 37.11%
3 Detective Conan: The Scarlet School Trip

Detective Conan: The Scarlet School Trip

Japan

Jan 27, 2021 $66,289
($66,289)
(10,624)
532 6.2%
4 Three Sisters

Three Sisters

South Korea

Jan 27, 2021 $56,586
($69,546)
(10,410)
538 5.29%
5 Carol

Carol

U.S.,U.K.

Feb 04, 2016 $19,734
($2,515,152)
(339,653)
275 1.84%

3 hours ago, imbruglia said:

japan animations has very small market. pretty much only the japan comic nerds watch it.

Megabox sold limited puzzles, limited character cards and limited special ticket give away.

they were all sold out right away. this was one of reason why OD was big.

it will be interesting to see Thursday numbers. 

I guess its boxoffice will heavily depends on how many special merchandise they will release.

Megabox will do limited poster next week(Feb 3), and CGV and Lotte might do their own too.

It's not called a stupid ---- in thighs U$ comic, it's called a manga. 

It's not called a crappy U$ cartoon for all the family, it's called a manga. 

But even if I watch a lot of anime, I'm not interested at all in Dragon Slayer, Naruto and all that shit. 

I don't read manga too, not the time (and I wouldn't use U$ comic$ even for TP). 

The worst nerds by far are "fans" of $tar war$, Di$ney, Pix"art", ----$ in thighs movies, Fa$t and foiru$ and all those horrible U$ franchi$e$, Harry Poo-ter, etc. Every stupid individual thinking "It has to be good 'cause it's U$ made" or "I have to watch it' cause it's a

huge suck-cess worldwide!" should be shot on sight.

Edited by aerosniff
To correct an error

12 minutes ago, aerosniff said:

But even if I watch a lot of anime, I'm not interested at all in Dragon Slayer, Naruto and all that shit. 

I don't read manga too, not the time (and I wouldn't use U$ comic$ even for TP). 

The worst nerds by far are "fans" of $tar war$, Di$ney, Pix"art", ----$ in thighs movies, Fa$t and foiru$ and all those horrible U$ franchi$e$, Harry Poo-ter, etc. Every stupid individual thinking "It has to be good 'cause it's U$ made" or "I have to watch it' cause it's a

This post gave me one of my biggest spontaneous laughs in a while, so thank you. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aerosniff said:

Nice write up!

But do tell me, how do you feel about Japanese comics?