diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

7 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Hey if you can find your way to a cinema near Bundang :) But don't you go telling folks here how awful my Korean is, my only claim to fame on this site is being the token Korean (despite being British, white and well thinking about it, if its good enough for Hollywood... :D )

haha well anyone can be anything!! :D:D

20 hours ago, yjs said:

the current record holder for the top grossing R-rated movie is a local film called "Inside Men" by dir. Woo Min-Ho which did about 9M admissions.

Snowpiercer did slightly more than that but it managed to get a PG-13 rating here. (15+) which is weird cause I've always thought it also got an R here.

basically in Korea it's rather hard to get an R rating solely for violence but the rating is very strict for sex scenes or thematic elements that are not "comfortable" for those old people in the ratings board. (Carol got an R with a warning for the "potential bad influence for juveniles.") 

you mean 내부자들? according to Kobis it managed around 7m admissions not 9.

2 hours ago, Rsyu said:

you mean 내부자들? according to Kobis it managed around 7m admissions not 9.

oh, that's cause its director's cut titled "내부자들: the original" did additional 2.08M.

Edited by yjs

10 hours ago, yjs said:

oh, that's cause its director's cut titled "내부자들: the original" did additional 2.08M.

oh right, I didn't really follow that run. Pretty amazing run considering it's a R-rated film!

• Like 1

Sing Street would breakout in a similar way Begin Again did and work that John Carney magic, the WOM seems really really good!

at least I hope it hits 1M. 

Edited by yjs

Weekend admissions
The wailing 1,330,340  (-27.3%)    4,537,180
Angry Birds   248,078   (new)    260,027

CW     182,287  (-65.5%)    8,553,003

Zootopia        2,502  (-87.5%)    4,700,305

Allegiant        2,085  (-96.5%)    100,605  LOL

• Like 7

Some information about Director Bong Joon-ho's upcoming film "Okja"

Set for a 2017 release, the genre is shown as "Adventure/Drama/SF and will follow the story of a little girl called "Mija" and the adventure she has after an animal "Okja" whom she befriended, is kidnapped by an American conglomerate from its home in South Korea.

The production budget is set to be around $49M and Eric-Jan De Boer, who was the visual effects producer in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Life of pie and The Chronicles of Narnia will be the visual effects producer in Okja too as well as the visual effects team from Antman and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Filming is currently in progress in South Korea.

• Like 1

X-men:Apocalypse OD - 296,066/  300,523  ( inflated by Culture day)

DOFP

Previews - 91,295

Thursday - 213,000

Friday - 279,147

Saturday - 593,896

Sunday - 578,511

Total - 4,313,871

• Like 2

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

9M is dead for CW, horrendous legs much worse than AoU. Ratings are much higher but legs worse, any reason Rsyu?

Yjs came up with a pretty plausible explanation on pg 375. I'm inclined to agree.

Still, it's double what CA2 did and continues the trend of all Marvel sequels increasing over the previous film so not all doom and gloom :)