Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

So it seems that the audience for the movie on home video will determine the chances of another film. Also, remember that Valerian had a bit of a failsafe built into it: Besson and his wife and producer Virginie Besson-Silla put up the funding for the film themselves and didn’t have to rely on studio money. As a result, even though the film failed to find an audience, there was no major loss to studios, which means Besson didn’t have to explain the film’s disappointment to any angry investors.

http://www.slashfilm.com/valerian-sequel/

So the Power Rangers reboot reasoning. I'm game for it #ValerianRidesAgain 

Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets hits Digital HD on November 7 and Blu-ray and DVD on November 21, so if you’re a person who really wants Besson to make more of these movies, consider buying at least two-dozen copies of each.

• Like 2

On 2017-09-15 at 4:42 PM, Napoleon said:

$230 million is great for an indie and foreign film.

Not one that costs over $175 million.

It'd be the biggest bomb of the summer if Guy Ritchie didn't get there first.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

You guys are missing a basic concept about presales, at least in terms of projects like this. It's not like presales reimbursed the companies who put up the money. Presale money is literally what funded a good chunk of the budget. Without them, the movie simply doesn't get made. 

In terms of the distribution companies, any deal they make for high-profile movies like this isn't made in a vacuum. They were willing to take a flier because (I'm guessing) that means they get to continue close relationships for those franchise where they *do* make money:  Transporter and the like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Did Dash or me tell the story ?

I can't remember.

So a documentary about the film was broadcast in France the day before the release and Besson himself told the story :

In May of 2015, he assembled 180 buyers at the Cannes film market and held a giant sales pitch/ press conference with Cara/Dehaan and his concept arts and his power of conviction/belief to sell the movie to this gathering.

In ONE day, he financed I think 70-75% (can't remember the exact figure) of a movie he always priced at around 200m$.

So, ONE last time :

Making Valérian was NEVER a financial risk for Besson

BUT

sure, its flop hurt him, his Europacrop company and his dream of making Valérian a franchise.

But at least, he fulfilled his childhood's dream of adapting Valerian  by seizing the opportunity the commercial success of Lucy gave him.

As character actress Katie Holmes said in Batman Begins :

" Bruce, It s not about what  you say, it s about what you do".

Guess in which category Besson belongs to.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

You guys are missing a basic concept about presales, at least in terms of projects like this. It's not like presales reimbursed the companies who put up the money. Presale money is literally what funded a good chunk of the budget. Without them, the movie simply doesn't get made. 

In terms of the distribution companies, any deal they make for high-profile movies like this isn't made in a vacuum. They were willing to take a flier because (I'm guessing) that means they get to continue close relationships for those franchise where they *do* make money:  Transporter and the like. 

You have to be joking, right?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

In ONE day, he financed I think 70-75% (can't remember the exact figure) of a movie he always priced at around 200m$.

The exact figures of the pre-sales after cannes are available I think here:

http://www.youscribe.com/BookReader/IframeEmbed?productId=2697713&width=auto&height=auto&startPage=1&displayMode=scroll&documentId=2862608&fullscreen=1&token=

He is exaggerating a little bit, but it was already cLose to 70m Euro in pre-sales (but those include pre-sailing french tv revenus, advance on french cinema, pre-saling to Eurocorp home video revenue, etc...) before the shoot even started and not considering the massive tax credits in that numbers. The 70% figures is close but there is more than pre-sales to foreign distributor and on the part financed by them, not including what co-investor (like the one from China) did put in.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Eurocorp has fucking nothing. Distributors bought this because it was directed by Luc Besson, who was hot from Lucy, plain and simple.

Well, Europacorp was build by many things and, among them, is the hugley popular Taxi franchise in France that pulled huge numbers there.

Besson also "kinda" discovered Marion Cotillard when he cast her for the first Taxi movie as the girlfriend that blames her boyfriend in all these movies to not fuck her brains out enough, yup.

French girls, always horny.

:P

Taxi 5 is currently in production for an early 2018 release.

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

if they had tried to keep the budget under control for this one this could have been a decent hit thanks to decent overseas numbers. Too bad they didn't 

Well, you can’t make a movie of this magnitude on a low budget, otherwise, it would look cheap, and there’s nothing more mortal for a Sci-Fi movie than having a cheap visual.

It’s OS numbers were nothing espetacular either, it did good numbers in China and Germany, but flopped in the rest of Globe, even its numbers in France weren’t great.

Too bad because I fucking loved this movie, one of my favorite experiences at cinema this year, and i did my part (watched three times at cinema), I would rather to get a sequel for this anytime before another remake from the super overrated SWU.

• Like 4