Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Fresh young pup producers care little for profit margins, they've got stars in their eyes and coke in their nostrils

Only after a couple disastrous bombs are they like "hey maybe we shoulda made better choices"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

The movie is produced by Besson and is wife, it is made by is own studio, I'm not sure I follow much on this thread.

I like to believe Besson said fuck it, I'm making my dream.

On the other hand, he might have poor financial advisors.  If so, I'm glad he does.  I'm even more glad he doesn't give a shit.

• Like 1

The movie with the highest RT score that Luc Besson directed is this badass action film:

Damn! Even the actress who plays the main character is more badass than Angelina Jolie and Milla Jovovich combined! ;)

Edited by KevinPr
  • Like 2

The movie was ALWAYS budgeted at 190m at least.

I don't get why this seems such a surprise to anyone.

He wanted to make a movie to compete with the current market and the current market is the 200M/300m blockbuster.

Simple really.

And yes, it is his life long dream.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

lol if they were going to make such an expensive films they should have cast people like Chris Pratt and Jlaw in the main roles. Not the nobodies they cast 

Yuck, no thanks. And I thought people wanted them to keep the budget lower. CP & JL either cost you a fortune on the front-end or the back, or both. 

• Like 6

Interesting to note that when Besson did a similar film 20 years ago, 5th Element, he used one of the biggest star in the world of its time, Willis something.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

The largest electronics store in Barcelona had the trailer for this on all its Ultra-HD TVs. It surely makes for a lovely tech demo. The movie looks gorgeous, as long as the silliness doesn't reach Jupiter Ascending levels, I'll check it out.

Jason Statham and Liam Neesson will be working overtime to make up for all the money this is going to lose though.

Edited by Celedhring

Has for casting big stars it was probably impossible, he must have wanted to lock them for sequels (are you a big star if you accept conditions like those), let alone the added cost and needs to share your revenues.

The guy and Delavigne give you 30-40 million social media follower at a good price and will sign for 6 movies and will still be young enough if the last one is shot in 2029.

Tchoo tchoo, all aboard the bombage train!

I'm glad that Besson is making his passion project and all, and I hope it turns good, but... this has no shot of being successful at the box office, unless it literally gives blowjobs to the audience. Best case scenario, it's a Legend Of Tarzan-type performer that does far better than expectations while still coming a long way to reaching its budget.

51 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Tchoo tchoo, all aboard the bombage train!

I'm glad that Besson is making his passion project and all, and I hope it turns good, but... this has no shot of being successful at the box office, unless it literally gives blowjobs to the audience. Best case scenario, it's a Legend Of Tarzan-type performer that does far better than expectations while still coming a long way to reaching its budget.

It is hard to imagine that the best case scenario for that movie is lower than Lucy performance (i.e. a really nice success for that movie) and Lucy did 44 million in China, Valerian could make 100.

Besson already has 4 movie in the top 100 biggest french movie of all time, Le grand Bleu, 5ième élément, Arthur et les mini moys, Lucy and some cult movie hit like Nikita, Léon: The Professional, he is a big deal specially for a movie like that in many market, a bit like Ridley Scott level.

• Like 1

Loved the trailers. Trailers of Jupiter Ascending gave the impression of all style no substance but didn't feel that way with Valerian's two trailers.

Very much rooting for it. Loved the chemistry of the leads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Yuck, no thanks. And I thought people wanted them to keep the budget lower. CP & JL either cost you a fortune on the front-end or the back, or both. 

Are these extremes our only choices ?  

For a movie with a $209m budget that needs to make half a billion WW to maybe make a profit, I'd suggest he hire APPEALING actors who are viable leads for a tent pole film.   Cringing shouldn't be the predominant response when they show up in the trailer.

They needn't be the ones making top dollar but I'm sure he actually had to pay these two more than scale.   If you can't figure out how to pay the necessary people with that budget  then go back to drawing board.   Lead actors are necessary people.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Are these extremes our only choices ?  

Quite possibly. They're at 200m with more affordable actors. Why would hiring 2 of the most expensive actors be a great idea at this point? (Putting aside whether they were even interested or available.) Are they enough of an automatic draw to cover the difference in budget? 

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but while I like CP and JL (to a lesser degree) I'd actually rather not see them in something like this. DeHaan and CD feel like more appropriate choices. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

Quite possibly. They're at 200m with more affordable actors. Why would hiring 2 of the most expensive actors be a great idea at this point? (Putting aside whether they were even interested or available.) Are they enough of an automatic draw to cover the difference in budget? 

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but while I like CP and JL (to a lesser degree) I'd actually rather not see them in something like this. DeHaan and CD feel like more appropriate choices. 

• Like 2