Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

3 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

What about movie promotion? Wouldn't it costs additional tens of millions dollars? 

That's never included in the production budget. But yeah, of course, just like with every other blockbuster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

What about movie promotion? Wouldn't it costs additional tens of millions dollars? 

Probably close to hundreds of million, it will be done by different entity and not just by the studio and will depend on how the release goes.

19 hours ago, Arlborn said:

That's never included in the production budget. But yeah, of course, just like with every other blockbuster.

My point was that movie production + movie promotion will cost much more than 200 mln $, so they will have to have earn around 500 mln to make any profit. How they can think it's possibile? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

My point was that movie production + movie promotion will cost much more than 200 mln $, so they will have to have earn around 500 mln to make any profit. How they can think it's possibile? 

This movie could have a combined budget when all things are considerd around 350-400 mill...

Batman vs Superman did 100 mill profit when all revenues are in.. it did 875 mill WW on a 250 mill production budget..

This has a budget of 41 mill less and Print &Adds could be 50 mill less WW..

Im thinking this has to do 600 mill WW to break even in the end depending how much it makes DOM..

It won't come near these kind of numbers

On 12/04/2017 at 3:10 AM, RyneOh1040 said:

THR is reporting the budget for this is 209 million. 

WTH were they thinking...

We don't know how much movies cost until a few months after release, so every time a number is given somewhere it becomes a fact. This kind of discussion is pointless.

And especially in this case: what is the source for that $209 million claim? Can't find it on THR or anywhere else, Google's first result is... this thread.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, Tele Came Back said:

I want him to do some goofy-ass comedy again. And GOTG doesn't count. 

I want to see him play a real villain in something, just to see if he can do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

This movie could have a combined budget when all things are considerd around 350-400 mill...

Batman vs Superman did 100 mill profit when all revenues are in.. it did 875 mill WW on a 250 mill production budget..

Im thinking this has to do 600 mill WW to break even in the end depending how much it makes DOM..

BVS probably had way higher participation payouts than VALERIAN will have. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

BVS probably had way higher participation payouts than VALERIAN will have. 

Im sure it had.. Still think Val needs 600 mill ish to break even

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fmpro said:

BvS estimate are using 250 million has the net production cost, Valerian will get around 35-40 million from the French state with is new aggressive movie production incentive program, the net cost will probably around 170-175 million, around Captain America first avengers type of net budget.

Considering no one from that cast is getting first dollar gross, around 330 million depending were it is from it is risking entering breaking even status, 425/435 if is a lot from China. 600m would be more than 3.5 that movie budget.

The domestic market from that movie is Europe, and it will helped instead of hurt for is revenue by the low Euro value.

BvS is an comfortably above 300 million budget movie (once you consider people participation bonus, not much different than the actual budget when considering profit with the current low interest rate) and still made a giant 9 figures profits without tripling that number at the box office.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

We don't know how much movies cost until a few months after release, so every time a number is given somewhere it becomes a fact. This kind of discussion is pointless.

And especially in this case: what is the source for that $209 million claim? Can't find it on THR or anywhere else, Google's first result is... this thread.

We usually never know how much movies cost, year's after, usually never, except if the movie is made in jurisdiction that make that information available because of public tax credit, France often do that why we know the exact gross budget of Lucy and we probably will for Valerian (I think that were the number came from, they simply said it because it will be in a year or 2 be in the french report).

If that is the case (were that number come from) it is the gross production budget, we will never know the net budget (that one is never available short of a leak) but you can easily assume a 15% to 25% rebate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

BvS estimate are using 250 million has the net production cost, Valerian will get around 35-40 million from the French state with is new aggressive movie production incentive program, the net cost will probably around 170-175 million, around Captain America first avengers type of net budget.

Considering no one from that cast is getting first dollar gross, around 330 million depending were it is from it is risking entering breaking even status, 425/435 if is a lot from China. 600m would be more than 3.5 that movie budget.

The domestic market from that movie is Europe, and it will helped instead of hurt for is revenue by the low Euro value.

BvS is an comfortably above 300 million budget movie (once you consider people participation bonus, not much different than the actual budget when considering profit with the current low interest rate) and still made a giant 9 figures profits without tripling that number at the box office.

I think it sounds to low but i have been following your posts and trust that you have more insight than me

still doubting it will break even though :lol:

5 hours ago, fmpro said:

Probably even more than 600 mill, and in my opinion valerian doesn't have ANY chance to achieve this kind of number, so i'm curious why Besson think it's possible. He invested his own money in this movie, so theoretically he may go bankrupt.

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

Probably even more than 600 mill, and in my opinion valerian doesn't have ANY chance to achieve this kind of number, so i'm curious why Besson think it's possible. He invested his own money in this movie, so theoretically he may go bankrupt.

He wanted to make the movie. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

This is his "Avatar"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fmpro said:

You can't really compare it to BvS cause I doubt Valerian will spent as much as BvS in marketing.