Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Give it a second try 10 year's for now, sometime it play like a thrilling very enjoyable horror-ish movie and one of the most fun movie watching experience (didn't like the first 2 time I watched it).

Has for the top critics, it is easy to find out :

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/help_desk/critics/

TOP CRITICS

Top Critic is a title awarded to the most significant contributors of cinematic and critical discourse. To be considered for Top Critics designation, a critic must be published at a print publication in the top 10% of circulation, employed as a film critic at a national broadcast outlet for no less than five years, or employed as a film critic for an editorial-based website with over 1.5 million monthly unique visitors for a minimum of three years. A Top Critic may also be recognized as such based on their influence, reach, reputation, and/or quality of writing, as determined by Rotten Tomatoes staff.

Amy Nicholson on MTV (or pretty much anywhere) is an obvious top critic to me, she is a big name, university in film, anthropology,video, writing, playwriting on a really big outlet doing this for over 15 year's that wrote a book on Tom Cruise for Cahier du cinema, what more credential could be required ?

McCarthy's review wasn't exactly quality writing. That criteria gives me some pause because what do they determine as quality 

Edited by RedX

Just now, MikeQ said:

Personally, my favourite reviewers are those that, from my perspective, are less "this movie is good/bad because... [insert hyperbole here]" and instead are more quietly analytical and expound on what is valuable or interesting (or not) about a given film.

Amen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Ideally we shouldn't have any sort of simplistic "color coding" and people should actually take a look at the reviews to see how critics feel about the movie.

I believe Ebert said one time that as happy as he and Siskel were with the success of their TV show, they always regretted the fact that their "thumbs up/thumbs down" system became so prevalent in film criticism. Pretty much ruins the idea that each person is unique with a different perspective. 

But I suppose if you view it as a consumer protection website, people do probably save some money by avoiding films that might have good Hollywood marketing and end up trashed by the critics. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm also not sure why people get so hung up on the RT consensus. It's not like it's the official word of the movie God, it's just something some RT employee drew up.

Because now the RT score and consensus are held up as gospel. 75% on RT is 75/100 and not 60-62/100 as the case actually is. 95% on RT is what gets spread, not 7.2/10 on RT. So the higher the score and the better the consensus, the more noise made by stans.

• Like 2

I don't have much problem with rt system but with reviewers not giving movies much chance.

Going through thabos many of the old movies, which killed at the box office and are generally seen as good films would have gotten rotten today. Can you imagine a home alone franchise today?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedX said:

McCarthy's review wasn't exactly quality writing. That criteria gives me some pause because what do they determine as quality 

McCarthy was a critic for 31 years at Variety before moving to THR. Before he became a critic, he worked in the industry both for major studios (Paramount) and minor ones (new Horizons). He's written several books about (of all things) the great filmmakers of 1970s B-movies. He's written an Emmy Award-winning documentary (Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer), and produced and directed multiple other documentaries, including Visions of Light, which was awarded Documentary of the Year by the National Society of Film Critics (and which anyone who loves movies should see -- it's fantastic). In short, whether you agree with him or not, it's probably hard to find someone more qualified than him to comment on studio filmmaking.

Do you really want to go down this road?

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

McCarthy was a critic for 31 years at Variety before moving to THR. Before he became a critic, he worked in the industry both for major studios (Paramount) and minor ones (new Horizons). He's written several books about (of all things) the great filmmakers of 1970s B-movies. He's written an Emmy Award-winning documentary (Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer), and produced and directed multiple other documentaries, including Visions of Light, which was awarded Documentary of the Year by the National Society of Film Critics (and which anyone who loves movies should see -- it's fantastic). In short, whether you agree with him or not, it's probably hard to find someone more qualified than him to comment on studio filmmaking.

Serving your masters and employers is standard for quality ?

His Valerian review is pathetic & childish.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But I suppose if you view it as a consumer protection website, people do probably save some money by avoiding films that might have good Hollywood marketing and end up trashed by the critics. 

Well, I do see value in a more nuanced 10 or 100 numbered scale. I feel like that satisfyingly covers the possible spectrum of reactions. I know some critics aren't really thrilled about that either but I think that does a pretty good job of quickly informing consumers on the perceived quality.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm also not sure why people get so hung up on the RT consensus. It's not like it's the official word of the movie God, it's just something some RT employee drew up.

If it doesn't affect the Movie $$ wise then no one will give a rats ass, but it does matter when it comes to the legs / final gross of the film.

1 minute ago, Subzero said:

If it doesn't affect the Movie $$ wise then no one will give a rats ass, but it does matter when it comes to the legs / final gross of the film.

That's a... stretch to say the least. The reviews themselves may matter but I have a hard time believing the wording of the RT consensus matters that much.

If you think this review has any redeeming quality with its constant attacks about French Besson, the budget for an indie, Euro trash, how Hollywood writers are better than this etc etc

be my guest.

He s not reviewing the movie, he s attacking everything about it like a petulant child.

How professionnael and TOP !

:)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

That's a... stretch to say the least. The reviews themselves may matter but I have a hard time believing the wording of the RT consensus matters that much.

10 or 15 years back it doesn't matter much, not in today's market it does. Especially with online ads/apps facebook/twitter snapchat etc...

RT is plaster all over, it's even mention in the teaser/advertisement etc .... advertisement is the key. Just this forum alone we track it like no other ....

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Image result for drops the mic gif

• Like 5