Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 minute ago, Subzero said:

10 or 15 years back it doesn't matter much, not in today's market it does. Especially with online ads/apps facebook/twitter snapchat etc...

RT is plaster all over, it's even mention in the teaser/advertisement etc .... advertisement is the key.

I've yet to see any TV ad actually mention the RT consensus, but even if they did if it were getting crappy reviews they wouldn't bother with mentioning RT but if it were getting great reviews they probably could just use whatever RT posts. And of course there'd be plenty of other material to work with if they didn't like the phrasing.

39 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They are about 95% of the same, pretty much all metacritic are RT top critic and vice versa, with sometime 1 or 2 different name.

That why they make such a big deal (that people buy) in how the present the same critics with the same result (one putting the average rating in a bigger font than the other), they are almost for all movie exactly the same, average score = MC score.

The difference is MC attempts give a point score to un-scored reviews.   They also weight within their designated top critics.

Sometimes this score assigning is accurate and other times it looks like they skimmed the review or read just two sentences and didn't understand what they were reading. 

RT does the same to the extent they mark these reviews fresh or rotten and sometimes they're way off because they only read the first or last sentence.

In rare occurrences we'll get a review from say Variety marked rotten on RT marked while graded 90 on MC...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yes, we know you will be naming your future son Valerian.

(and if you have a daughter, Laureline)

Probably true.

Incestuous if a daughter happens in addition to a son?  Maybe.

Edited by That One Guy

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

McCarthy was a critic for 31 years at Variety before moving to THR. Before he became a critic, he worked in the industry both for major studios (Paramount) and minor ones (new Horizons). He's written several books about (of all things) the great filmmakers of 1970s B-movies. He's written an Emmy Award-winning documentary (Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer), and produced and directed multiple other documentaries, including Visions of Light, which was awarded Documentary of the Year by the National Society of Film Critics (and which anyone who loves movies should see -- it's fantastic). In short, whether you agree with him or not, it's probably hard to find someone more qualified than him to comment on studio filmmaking.

Do you really want to go down this road?

This speech reminds me Alec Baldwin's I AM GOD speech from Malice.  :rofl:

I have an M.D. from Harvard, I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trama from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, Dennis, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

• Like 5

Reading the reviews so far they could have used The Wrap's blurb for the consensus

The kind of movie that soars beyond adjectives like "good" or "bad": it's sincere but overstuffed, visually gorgeous but dramatically clunky, and it represents a singular vision while simultaneously featuring two wildly miscast actors in the lead roles.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I've yet to see any TV ad actually mention the RT consensus, but even if they did if it were getting crappy reviews they wouldn't bother with mentioning RT but if it were getting great reviews they probably could just use whatever RT posts. And of course there'd be plenty of other material to work with if they didn't like the phrasing.

If you go back in the Spidey thread, someone posted a twitter or a teaser with the Spidey Certify fresh etc...

Also news outlet will post them too ...

http://www.thewrap.com/spider-man-homecoming-rotten-tomatoes-superhero-film/

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/homecoming/spider-man-homecoming-is-now-officially-certified-fresh-on-rotten-tomatoes-with-a-spectacular-93-a152177

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There have been a lot of them mentioning the RT rating

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

This speech reminds me Alec Baldwin's I AM GOD speech from Malice.  :rofl:

I have an M.D. from Harvard, I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trama from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, Dennis, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

Sounds like some Aaron Sorkin Diarrhea.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

McCarthy was a critic for 31 years at Variety before moving to THR. Before he became a critic, he worked in the industry both for major studios (Paramount) and minor ones (new Horizons). He's written several books about (of all things) the great filmmakers of 1970s B-movies. He's written an Emmy Award-winning documentary (Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer), and produced and directed multiple other documentaries, including Visions of Light, which was awarded Documentary of the Year by the National Society of Film Critics (and which anyone who loves movies should see -- it's fantastic). In short, whether you agree with him or not, it's probably hard to find someone more qualified than him to comment on studio filmmaking.

Do you really want to go down this road?

I mean, we can definitely go down this road. Would Rotten Tomatoes select someone as a top critic because they have influence, be it even controversial and contrarion like Armond White or because they may view a person of his writing as quality? That idea I'm not comfortable with.