Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

7 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

To be honest I see the early US release as more of a test run/preview for Valerian, before more discerning audiences get to celebrate its "surreal pleasures".

So anything above $10M would be a triumph! :sparta:

If a Ten Million US opening for an 170 Million Sci Fi epic is a triumph,I don't want to think about what a failure is like........

:depp::depp:

So sad for french cinema in fact. Valerian was probably its last attempt to make blockbusters. I can't see how foreigner distributors could trust Europa Corp now.

And I think that the economical situation of Europa Corp is gonna be so bad that they're gonna be bought by a Chinese company...

:(:(

I feel so stupid to be so upset by the failure of what is just a movie. But crap, Besson is an amazing person that's doing sooo much for french cinema. I mean he managed to create new studios so that France could afford bigger projects (La Cité du Cinéma which is not a big success either :( ), and he created a cinema school which is FREE in order that no matter the social background you can work in the cinema industry. This guy is incredible. Valerian is his biggest baby. And it is gonna bomb and critics because it's so difference of the Marvel Blockbuster Recipe trash it :(:(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I am disappointed that Valerian is going to bomb. Maybe more compelling leads would have helped? And by compelling I mean actors with more buzz on them. Listen a lot of people were saying this and I'm just kind of a agreeing with them now.  So yeah basically I'm just jumping on that bandwagon right now.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

5 minutes ago, Bastien said:

I feel so stupid to be so upset by the failure of what is just a movie. But crap, Besson is an amazing person that's doing sooo much for french cinema. I mean he managed to create new studios so that France could afford bigger projects (La Cité du Cinéma which is not a big success either :( ), and he created a cinema school which is FREE in order that no matter the social background you can work in the cinema industry. This guy is incredible. Valerian is his biggest baby. And it is gonna bomb and critics because it's so difference of the Marvel Blockbuster Recipe trash it :(:(

The French Alone should carry this Movie to $100M at least in France ...they old it to him :D

Okay, let's be honest now. Did anyone really think that this would do well at the U.S. box office?

Also, Luc Besson's film getting this kind of reviews in the U.S. isn't exactly a huge surprise, so we'll see how Tomatometer changes once it gets released in other countries next month.

Just now, Block-Busted said:

Also, Luc Besson's film getting this kind of reviews in the U.S. isn't exactly a huge surprise, so we'll see how Tomatometer changes once it gets released in other countries next month.

Doesn't RT only include English-speaking critics? So it would mostly be British reviews.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Doesn't RT only include English-speaking critics? So it would mostly be British reviews.

Well... it sometimes includes Spanish critics too, so... yeah.

But you're right, it's mostly British critics, and the reason why I mentioned the whole issue is because a film that gets released in the U.S. first tends to have its Tomatometer going up when it's released in the U.K. (I remember seeing this happening with 'Lucy' and bunch of other films).

3 hours ago, Bastien said:

The Fifth Element is at 43% on TopCritics. WTF.
This is like the cultest movie of the nineties with Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction and Titanic.

Like I've said, Besson's films tend to get polarizing reviews with American critics.

If this was directed by... say... Denis Villeneuve, it would've received much better reviews.

18 minutes ago, Bastien said:

With it's rich History, French Cinema will be just fine.

The main critical knock is that it is visually stunning, but weak in the character and story line department. All style,no substance. And no one can be blamed for that but Besson.

What displeases me is that I have this unpleasant impression that for pure entertainment to be praised by critics, they must now respect the Marvel recipe: I mean the media that spit on Bat V Sup which is trying something different, praise Wonder Woman which is never original and have a last act as painful as the one of BVS...

7 minutes ago, Bastien said:

The Fifth Element is at 43% on TopCritics. WTF.
This is like the cultest movie of the nineties with Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction and Titanic.

Leon The Professional also has a low score for a classic loved by audiences (71%). Lucy only 67%. In the meantime, a lot of forgettable garbage get over 90%. That's why I don't take critics seriously.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bastien said:

What displeases me is that I have this unpleasant impression that for pure entertainment to be praised by critics, they must now respect the Marvel recipe: I mean the media that spit on Bat V Sup which is trying something different, praise Wonder Woman which is never original and have a last act as painful as the one of BVS...

This is why I can't take fanboys seriously......

Good intentions mean shit in the final anlaysis....what matters is what is up on the screen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Block-Busted said:

And... I haven't read 'Valerian' comics before, but is it really an R-rated material to begin with?

I don't know, but I'm not sure why you are asking me that from what I wrote, I never said that it should have considered for a R-rated movie. 

The starting point was:

Someone A said: Lot of people that will see valerian will be old enough to buy ticket for Atomic blonde (are above 16)

Someone B said: I disagree that it is the case

Me: I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that more than 50% of Valerian audience will be 17 or more, that the case for even a spider man movie now, audience are getting older and older, listing a list of movie opening weekend over 25 audience getting bigger as example and franchise turning to R without hurting their BO.

I'm not sure which part of my answer you are disagreeing with exactly.

Edited by Barnack