Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

I don't know, but I'm not sure why you are asking me that from what I wrote, I never said that it should have considered for a R-rated movie. 

The starting point was:

Someone A said: Lot of people that will see valerian get buy ticket for Atomic blonde (are above 16)

Someone B said: I disagree that it is the case

Me: I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that more than 50% of Valerian audience will be 17 or more, that the case for even a spider man movie now, audience are getting older and older, listing a list of movie opening weekend over 25 audience getting bigger as example and franchise turning to R without hurting their BO.

I'm not sure which part of my answer you are disagreeing with exactly.

I actually asked that last question purely out of curiosity.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Alright. In my seat. Ready for unhinged, bonkers Besson.

I prefer the more grounded,gritty Besson ("The Professional","La Femme Nikata" "Lucy") to his space opera extravaganzas.

2 hours ago, Bastien said:

I feel so stupid to be so upset by the failure of what is just a movie. But crap, Besson is an amazing person that's doing sooo much for french cinema. I mean he managed to create new studios so that France could afford bigger projects (La Cité du Cinéma which is not a big success either :( ), and he created a cinema school which is FREE in order that no matter the social background you can work in the cinema industry. This guy is incredible. Valerian is his biggest baby. And it is gonna bomb and critics because it's so difference of the Marvel Blockbuster Recipe trash it :(:(

It's fine to feel upset if you care about the filmmaker/film.  It's never "just a movie" -- it's an investment of hundreds of millions of dollars that probably 1000 or more people worked many months of their lives on, and many probably cared very much about it (including Besson himself, otherwise...why would he do this?)

I'm a big fan of Besson's work, as well (yes, even LUCY), so it's not easy to see the reaction this.  I haven't seen it yet, but no matter what, its failure in the US won't help interest in investment for original projects -- yes, I know it's based on pre-existing material, but you know what I mean.

I didn't know all this stuff about him starting a cinema school, as well -- bravo to him. 

It's OK to care about a movie.  They mean something to the many, many people who work on them, and they can have impacts on cultures worldwide.  It's a shame that even theaters here are essentially dumping this, with few showings on opening weekend, barely giving it a chance. 

And yes, it was a bad idea to open up against Dunkirk.  I might have gone for an August US release...even though that would have created its own set of extra impressions about the supposed "quality" of the film.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

Love the movie, but the acting/human dialogue hinders it from truly being great. Alien dialogue is good though. World buidling, visuals, action sequences, alien design, and score are all stunning! First 30-45 minutes was truly some of the best fun I have had in a theater.

4.5/5

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

With this and Apes releasing on back to back weekends, I officially declare this summer to be back on track.  This movie blew me away.  I loved every second of it.  

A+

Genuinely glad you so enjoyed it! I know you've been looking forward to this. :) Anticipating movies and being able to experience them in the theatre is just the best.

Peace,

Mike 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I still find DeHaan to be an unbelievably huge charisma vacuum. There's something about him that's just so unlikable. And he has a face you wanna punch.

I think he's a good actor, he's just not a leading man.