Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

If everyone's always "fine," then what really changes?  There have to be some consequences sometime...for someone.  This is a pretty big failure.  The company was already in trouble, wasn't it?

The consequence are not linked much to what people on the Internet are saying, well I don't think.

The company did lost money last year and had to sell stake to finance itself, it will have giant consequence versus Valerian being a big success a la The Martian. One of the big one, no Valerian 2-3, etc... could have been a nice franchise and not the side project they could have also financed with those success.

But the fact that they sold the risk so much before even making the movie, show why the company didn't even lost 10% of is relatively low market cap and will not be necessarily in big trouble. The opportunity cost is huge (Imagine liongates with vs without Hunger games franchise, 75% of the first hunger games budget was already paid by intl market sale too and they would not have loss much if it would have flop, but they would have lost the fortune they made with it has an opportunity cost)

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Lionsgate gets the domestic Home Media

STX is handling the home media release which is going through Lionsgate (Universal was originally releasing their films). They'll get a portion of the gross I believe

• Thanks 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Talking about inde films why didn't this movie get more exposure and even bigger release. Am genuinely curious.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=exmachina.htm

That movie did great for what it was. It was never gonna be a blockbuster (something recognized when Universal sold it off to A24).

47 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

EuropaCorp is fine. They mitigated any losses through presales.

The problem for EuropaCorp is it will be much harder for them to get backing and make presales for their next huge budget project. I suspect it will be back to modestly budgeted thrilers for Besson for a while.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Right but EuropaCorp will still be fine. Everyone who distributes movies knows it's a risky business.

But they will be less willing take a risk on a expensive Besson Sci fi epic next time around.

27 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

LIONSGATE is distributing this in UK??!!?! HAHAHA OMG. Oh Besson...what have you done?

The joke is that Lionsgate is known for selling off distribution rights to  to protect themselves when a film turns out to have really iffy box office prospects. They have just gotten a taste of their own medicine.....Distriubutors who have been stuck with the bill by Lionsgate are getting a kick out of this.

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because everyone under 50 will see Valerian and no one under that demographic will see Dunkirk. Oh wait...

Wow, it's almost like some humans make mistakes and not everyone is perfect at predicting the exact target audience for a film.

39 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Talking about inde films why didn't this movie get more exposure and even bigger release. Am genuinely curious.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=exmachina.htm

Never went above 2000 theater, it is a very valid question, like mentioned above it was a really thought sales as an aesthetic, pace, genre.

Her as one of the best comparable was a Warner Brother release with a best picture push and never got 2000 theater.

Both movie did exactly 25m, Children of Men did 35m, even the best movie in that space can have an really hard time.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Wow, it's almost like some humans make mistakes and not everyone is perfect at predicting the exact target audience for a film.

Sticking to the date when the entire world knows that this should release AFTER releasing in France cannot be human mistake. It's something else entirely. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

What puzzles me is how Besson made such bad casting decisions. He usually is very good at casting.but from all accounts he messed up with the leads here. Many critics who overall liked the film thought Valarian (the character) was badly miscast and the chemistry between the two leads was horrible.

Cara I can understand based on Luc's past obsessions with young, model waifs; and, Cara is one of the current 'IT' girls of the model world. She has a lot of personality off-camera, but if a director wants to use that to their advantage they're going to have to work it in the script and capture it on camera.  Unfortunately, Cara doesn't have the acting skill (that we've seen yet anyways) to work with, and Luc doesn't have the writing skill by himself to make it happen. I suspect some ego is involved.

Dane kind of looks like the comic book character, but he is absolutely miscast. Don't know what happened there.

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Yeah, a friend sent me a text yesterday:  "LOL at Valerian's Box Office."  :sadben:

For a Bay film, I'd laugh, as he's had plenty of chances, but for something like Luc Besson and what is fairly original material in the marketplace, it's really disappointing, and will probably be the end of Europacorp as an entity (and yes, Besson will go back to $30 mil movies for the time being...which isn't all bad, but still...).

Hundreds of people work on these things, it's never nice to see one flop so spectacularly...and for independent financing, it's not good news, either.  Regardless of how it was paid for...someone paid for it, and someone's losing big.  And ironically, a failure in this industrial capacity is more problematic for original movies than any major studio failure. 

I feel the same way--Luc really, really tried to make a great movie, and you can tell. It is sooo close to being awesome, it's frustrating.  It is way better than the last three Transformers movies, so it sucks that it is crashing so bad while those movies somehow get a pass. I'm hoping that the dialogue flaws that are killing it domestically aren't seen as being so bad to foreign audiences, particularly China,  South America, etc. (essentially where English is not the first language). There is the possibility that it could do a lot better OS numbers.

I saw it for a fourth time today, because I've gotten to where I can overlook the poor dialogue because the rest of the movie is really, really good.  The plot actually makes sense despite a deus ex piece, and I believe with a little bit of work it could be saved.  The post-theater release can absolutely be fixed enough by some judicious editing, and turn it into a solid B movie.

Like I've mentioned before, as it is it works great as a kids/teen movie (much better than about 80% of the stuff that's been released this summer), but man, once the critic slam-pile starts, it's hard to escape its influence.

6 minutes ago, GrimFandango said:

Could somebody edit out the "Its rotten on rt"?

but it IS rotten on RT.  Do you want alternative facts or something? :P

kidding, I don't care if it's there or not.  I didn't even notice the title until your post

For the love of God...it looks like Valerian is not gonna make no.1 in the coming weekend either...Don't people know it features freaking Cara Delevingne? Are you telling me that she has less draw than a certain director ? Damn ! That One Guy please deliver us from the misery !

best-eyelashes-cara-delevingne.jpg

12 hours ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Yeah, look at the people who financed this movie.

sorry but it was too easy

• Thanks 1