Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

4 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

For the love of God...it looks like Valerian is not gonna make no.1 in the coming weekend either...Don't people know it features freaking Cara Delevingne? Are you telling me that she has less draw than a certain director ? Damn ! That One Guy please deliver us from the misery !

best-eyelashes-cara-delevingne.jpg

I have nothing against Delevinge, but it seems like movie studios are really infatuated with her. Instead of giving her a chance to earn some credibility with the audience, she keeps getting handed one big ticket item after another and they do not pan out. I think Delevinge is an example of studios confusing social media popularity with movie stardom. She is certainly not the main reason this movie misfired, but I can believe that she was part of the sales pitch to financiers,  that they had a lead with 40 million instagram followers. On some level with Delevinge and Rihanna this film was an experiment in how social media popularity does or does not translate into box office. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

For the love of God...it looks like Valerian is not gonna make no.1 in the coming weekend either...Don't people know it features freaking Cara Delevingne? Are you telling me that she has less draw than a certain director ? Damn ! That One Guy please deliver us from the misery !

best-eyelashes-cara-delevingne.jpg

Guys, I think the simultaneous smash hit of Dunkirk and the bombing of Valerian have finally done Kevin in.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guys, I think the simultaneous smash hit of Dunkirk and the bombing of Valerian have finally done Kevin in.

Don't forget the fact that Wonder Woman became the #1 of summer as well with great reviews.

During an interview in France Luc Besson ironized on the failure of Valerian in the USA: " Never one of my films has worked in the USA" he said " Sci-fi movies that work in the United States are necessarily centered on the US and their heroes are necessarily superheroes. This is not the case of my film. "

The movie should have one of the ten widest release ever.

7 minutes ago, Bastien said:

United States are necessarily centered on the US and their heroes are necessarily superheroes. This is not the case of my film. "

Was wondering how long before superheroes were brought up.

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You made a domestic hit with Lucy just three years ago, Luc.

I just lost a lot of respect for Besson with that "Stupid American Audeinces" remark.

I was going to check out Valarien this weekend,just to see what the shouting is about, but that little  remark just saved me ten bucks.

Edited by dudalb

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

Was wondering how long before superheroes were brought up.

Don't forget the "Only Sci Fi Movies centered in the US sell in the US".

Star Wars says Hi, Luc....

Sad to see Besson go Trump in that tirade. Lots of anger, like of name calling, lots of pure BS statements. Besson did himself no favors with that tirade.

35 minutes ago, Bastien said:

During an interview in France Luc Besson ironized on the failure of Valerian in the USA: " Never one of my films has worked in the USA" he said " Sci-fi movies that work in the United States are necessarily centered on the US and their heroes are necessarily superheroes. This is not the case of my film. "

So you agree with Besson's "Americans Suck" BS?

43 minutes ago, Bastien said:

First of all, can we have a proper source of this quote?  Where was it published? 

Second, how accurate is the translation? 

Third, I don't understand how what he is saying (with its current translation) is any insult to Americans?  He's saying "they prefer a different sort of sci-fi, and their heroes are predominantly superheroes these days (and most of these superheroes are American, based in American locales)" if I'm understanding this correctly.  How is this incorrect or an insult for the mass marketplace lately?  

Yes, I'm sure he's not happy with the current returns (or lack thereof).

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I just lost a lot of respect for Besson with that "Stupid American Audeinces" remark.

I was going to check out Valarien this weekend,just to see what the shouting is about, but that little  remark just saved me ten bucks.

Wow, you're pretty vengeful, for an American.

Too bad, because the movie is quite stupid - you would have liked it.

Some directors/actors are too cool for school when it comes to the mainstream franchises that are dominating cinemas right now. Barry Jenkins just made a comment the other day on Twitter as well (a totally harmless comment, mind you).

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Some directors/actors are too cool for school when it comes to the mainstream franchises that are dominating cinemas right now. Barry Jenkins just made a comment the other day on Twitter as well (a totally harmless comment, mind you).

Or maybe Besson just did not do a good job with Valarien....

21 minutes ago, Macleod said:

First of all, can we have a proper source of this quote?  Where was it published? 

Second, how accurate is the translation? 

Third, I don't understand how what he is saying (with its current translation) is any insult to Americans?  He's saying "they prefer a different sort of sci-fi, and their heroes are predominantly superheroes these days (and most of these superheroes are American, based in American locales)" if I'm understanding this correctly.  How is this incorrect or an insult for the mass marketplace lately?  

Yes, I'm sure he's not happy with the current returns (or lack thereof).

It's from an interview in the biggest television news in France. It's how good I can translate it but the way he said it was not contemptuous.  He wanted, I think, to say that Americans love america, and that this foreign film on foreign characters is not for them.

• Like 1