Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

This film isn't getting the box office it deserves. I just came out of it and I thought it was brilliant! Very unique visual design and storytelling approach, a simple and engaging mystery, and conpetent performances! 8.5/10!

(Rihanna's not that good of an actress though...)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2017 at 10:41 PM, MikeQ said:

I didn't think DeHaan was bad, but it did feel like he was miscast. Though, there is something to be said for having a guy who isn't your typical big, macho dude, but who still puts on a show of being this impressive agent. It does make for some interesting practices of masculinity, with a man who doesn't necessarily possess the ideals of manhood - who doesn't achieve the hegemonic form of masculinity - but who taps into it as men do. However, I would have liked to have seen someone else better suited for this role.

Good point. The writing as it is could have been more self aware on that front. That whole bit with Laureline going "You're a lady killer, why would I marry you?" It's played completely straight like we're genuinely supposed to believe that. If he had been boastful of it himself and if she was like "Ha, no you aren't."and they continued on a similar thread of him trying to be what he wasn't then it probably would have worked.

• Like 1

I could still maybe see it sneaking into Best Visual Effects. There's undeniable brilliance in here, and this category tends to be more forgiving towards flops and interested in more niche choices. Looking mainly at the nominations of Lone Ranger, Kubo, Hereafter, and Ex Machina. Of course, it could go the route of Tron/Scott Pilgrim/Pacific Rim and join the league of fanboy-driven films that miss the cut. We'll see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

I could still maybe see it sneaking into Best Visual Effects. There's undeniable brilliance in here, and this category tends to be more forgiving towards flops

It definitely deserves it, and it would help Valerian become another cult classic ahead of its time (in the US at least).

amazing-first-Valerian-and-the-City-of-a

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It definitely deserves it, and it would help Valerian become another cult classic ahead of its time (in the US at least).

amazing-first-Valerian-and-the-City-of-a

I don't see how this (busy and undecipherable) frame is supposed to showcase that it is "ahead of its time"...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

For VFX Nominees this year, I see :

- Guardians Vol 2

- Blade Runner 2048 (it shouldn't but it will)

- Star Wars The Last Jedi (hopefully it deserves it this time, not like in 2015)

- Downsizing or Annihilation or Granite Mountain Hotshots

- WOTPOTA (WINNER HANDS DOWN BO DOWN TO WETA ANIMATORS AND RENDERERS AND SKIN AND FUR ARTISTS AND THE EYES ANIMATOR(s), sorry Serkis but you re not the only real reason why Ceasar is amazing, say hello to science)

Top 10 Finalists

King Kong Skull Island

Valérian

Thor Ragnarok

Ghost in The Shell

It should but it won't : Transformers : The Last Knight

Edited by The Futurist

Im not sure how to really give a quick review of this.  It was crazy on the fx and some really interesting action scenes, but I still couldn't wait for it to be over.  I was checking the clock way too often.  DeHaan - I haven't seen him in much but the guy just doesn't impress me at all.  Thought Cara did a good enough job.  The story actually wasn't bad, and again the fx were great but just didn't connect for me.  I was somehow bored with all the stuff going on - didn't care for the heroes at all.  Oh well, at least it was pretty unique.  

Is there any word on the intl. performance, besides France? I saw it this weekend in Dolby Cinema, and it was absolutely beautiful, but I have to agree that the story and acting was bad/cheesy. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but an engaging and realistic romance would have elevated the movie a lot I feel. 7,5/10. 

1 hour ago, Neilio said:

Is there any word on the intl. performance, besides France?

Deadline:

Full breakdowns are not yet available for the sophomore outing of Luc Besson’s costly sci-fi epic, although EuropaCorp is reporting a $19.2M weekend in 33 total markets. There were 17 new hubs this session to help push the international gross to $29.3M. (ComScore is reporting a $13.7M FSS in 13 international markets for a $21.6M gross to date.)

The film was No. 1 in 6 markets: France, Hong Kong, French-speaking Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia; and No. 2 in 4 including Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal and Estonia.

France was the key new major this session where it kicked off on Wednesday with the 2nd best launch day of the year locally (and also topped Besson’s most recent helming effort, Lucy, albeit on 355 more screens). The full weekend is an estimated $12.17M which is on track to rep the biggest start of the year in the Hexagon (confirmed figures will be available on Monday). Reviews have been mixed in France. The local press here has given it 3.1 out of 5 stars with audiences scoring higher at 3.9, according to AlloCiné. Ahead of the weekend, exits on the movie, which is based on a beloved French comic, were said to be very positive.

Major hubs still to take flight include the UK, Brazil, Spain, Russia, Mexico Italy, Japan, Korea and China which is going August 25. That’s starting to look like a crowded day with Cars 3 and Baby Driver also both zooming into the Middle Kingdom as the blackout lifts.

16 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Great news for Valerian, financially that is equivalent to an extra $60 million at the box office.:ohmyzod:

Valarien is a box office failure, will not come near to breaking even. Accept reality.