Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Paul Feig himself said that Ghostbusters needed 500m to be a success. It made less than half of that. So unless the merchandise was a huge success there not going to make a sequel. 

Edited by Twelve
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Twelve said:

Paul Feig himself said that Ghostbusters needed 500m to be a success. It made less than half of that. So unless the merchandise was a huge success there not going to make a sequel. 

More than the merchandise, it was the crappy OS results. It barely made 100M OS. That is horrible when you are aiming to be a big tentpole. Trek is in a similar dilemma, but at least they have TV and one of the most dedicated fanbases to fall back on.

So, I finally saw it. 

It didn't disappoint me, except maybe for the rest of the movie not being as amazing and visually stunning as the first about 30 minutes (from the start until the end of the first mission).

Dehaan was the surprise for me, he was very charming and likable.

It sucks that there's a good chance we won't visit this universe again soon, but I have a feeling the international partners will make a lot of money with it eventually, as it will have enough fans to carry it over the years and buy the Blu-ray and stream it on Netflix and play it for their kids, so who knows how popular this will be in, like, 10 or 15 years? Look what happened with Blade Runner, it's getting a sequel this year with a gigantic budget, who would have thought this would happen 1 or 2 decades ago?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So, I finally saw it. 

It didn't disappoint me, except maybe for the rest of the movie not being as amazing and visually stunning as the first about 30 minutes (from the start until the end of the first mission).

Dehaan was the surprise for me, he was very charming and likable.

It sucks that there's a good chance we won't visit this universe again soon, but I have a feeling the international partners will make a lot of money with it eventually, as it will have enough fans to carry it over the years and buy the Blu-ray and stream it on Netflix and play it for their kids, so who knows how popular this will be in, like, 10 or 15 years? Look what happened with Blade Runner, it's getting a sequel this year with a gigantic budget, who would have thought this would happen 1 or 2 decades ago?

Dehaan?  I'm like, agreeing with you, and don't get me wrong I quite liked the movie but DeHaan?  I don't even completely blame him, but I just watched it thinking wat, why isn't this called "Valerian and Laurline, and Valerian is kinda weak and the City of the Thousand Planets".

• Like 3

Terminator Salvation is the most expensive independent movie ever made with 200m dollar budget in 2009. 

So I'm confused how much did this cost? because every article is wrong. I keep seeing articles saying this was 180 and the most expensive independent movie ever made.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Terminator Salvation is the most expensive independent movie ever made with 200m dollar budget in 2009. 

So I'm confused how much did this cost? because every article is wrong. I keep seeing articles saying this was 180 and the most expensive independent movie ever made.... 

I think the "most expensive independent profuction" tag was attributed to the movie when the rumored budget was 209m (I believe that number was before tax credits)

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. I saw this awhile back. Wanted to like it. Lovely opening scene but the structure is a mess, and all the romantic/flirty dialogue... kill it with fire. Shame too because that kind of dynamic is all too rare in blockbusters these days (as are equal couples as protagonists) and it would be very entertaining in the right hands, but at least half the time Dehaan and Delevingne opened their mouths I wanted to shrink into my seat and die. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

On 07/08/2017 at 5:55 PM, grim22 said:

More than the merchandise, it was the crappy OS results. It barely made 100M OS. That is horrible when you are aiming to be a big tentpole. Trek is in a similar dilemma, but at least they have TV and one of the most dedicated fanbases to fall back on.

Yeah, even Fant4stic managed to make more overseas than Ghostbusters. Complete disaster.

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/europacorp-deputy-ceo-edouard-de-vesinne-ousted-valerian-crash-1202546866/

First ouster at Europacorp.

They bury at the bottom that $400 mil. was considered the break-even point...and it's only made half that. 

You can look at a detailed financing break down of where it was financially in december 2015:

http://www.youscribe.com/BookReader/IframeEmbed?productId=2697713&width=auto&height=auto&startPage=1&displayMode=scroll&documentId=2862608&fullscreen=1&token=

It already had  68.895 in pre-sales / minima warrented, had the sales since december 2015, tax credits (30m Euro from france but also a lot from other jurisdiction about half the movie budget was spent foreign to France), co-financement, and you need to compare what would be left after that and what they did in France.

The guy did work a lot of the tv side:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1320536/?nmdp=1&ref_=nm_flmg_shw_1#producerMovie

Not even sure or stated in the article that he had anything to do with Valerian, he became deputy CEO in april 2016. Valerian principal photography started January 2016.

And the reason given is :

EuropaCorp reckons that the production activities [both TV and film] of the company Incognita are no longer compatible with the tenure of Mr. de Vesinne as deputy CEO,

Obviously could be false, but not sure why it would be.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

You can look at a detailed financing break down of where it was financially in december 2015:

http://www.youscribe.com/BookReader/IframeEmbed?productId=2697713&width=auto&height=auto&startPage=1&displayMode=scroll&documentId=2862608&fullscreen=1&token=

It already had  68.895 in pre-sales / minima warrented, had the sales since december 2015, tax credits (30m Euro from france but also a lot from other jurisdiction about half the movie budget was spent foreign to France), co-financement, and you need to compare what would be left after that and what they did in France.

The guy did work a lot of the tv side:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1320536/?nmdp=1&ref_=nm_flmg_shw_1#producerMovie

Not even sure or stated in the article that he had anything to do with Valerian, he became deputy CEO in april 2016. Valerian principal photography started January 2016.

And the reason given is :

EuropaCorp reckons that the production activities [both TV and film] of the company Incognita are no longer compatible with the tenure of Mr. de Vesinne as deputy CEO,

Obviously could be false, but not sure why it would be.

In other words, the company is bleeding money (mostly due to Valerian) and someone has to take the fall.

I'm not critiquing Valerian or laughing at it here...it's a sad situation all around.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember claims on another forum that foreign pre-sales saved the last Divergent movie and yet Lionsgate didn't make another "guaranteed moneymaker." This idea that foreign pre-sales save every single film is pure bullcrap. 

It covered 96% of the budget.  That's a lot.

26 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember claims on another forum that foreign pre-sales saved the last Divergent movie and yet Lionsgate didn't make another "guaranteed moneymaker." This idea that foreign pre-sales save every single film is pure bullcrap. 

You would be talking about 2 different thing.

Pre-sales could have very well saved that movie, they probably greenlighted it only if they had good pre-sales to start with, but when a movie flop and is saved by pre-sales you cannot make a sequel, you will not find buyers for it at the same price tag.

You cannot look at sequel / no sequel for movie pre-sold to judge how well the sellers of the movie did.

Franchise popular movie can be pre-sold for more than what they cost to do sometime.

If you look at the very first (before it was establish and made pre-saling easier) estimate:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/divergent-profit-box-office-2014-1201389595/

Foreign pre sales: $65m

Net production cost: $85m

That become quite a small movie to try to make a profit own with the domestic and UK market.

The movie just before the last one made 130m oversea, the sequel to insurgent can have sold for a nice amount:

Many believe that the reasonable range for Allegiant‘s foreign sales including overages is $75M-$95M

http://deadline.com/2016/03/allegiant-beat-by-zootopia-weekend-box-office-miracles-from-heaven-1201723263/

Obviously if a movie make only 3.5M and will loose 65% of is pre-sales powers you cannot do a sequel.

You do not decide to make a sequel or not based on the profit of the movie, but the expected profit of the sequel.

Many movie that lost studio money got a sequel (Angels&Demon for example) and profitable movie that did not.

Edited by Barnack

21 minutes ago, Macleod said:

In other words, the company is bleeding money (mostly due to Valerian) and someone has to take the fall.

I'm not critiquing Valerian or laughing at it here...it's a sad situation all around.

Can very often that you fall from your predecessor slate, many movie did cost the job of 2 people, Disney movie studio boss that greenlighted John Carter and the CEO that was there when it released if I remember correctly.

But it can also be that they are bleeding money and cannot afford is TV deal and they could not agree (him and Eurocorp) or just not doing Valerian 2 and needing to bring someone with some ideas about what to do now.

Edited by Barnack