Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $40,351,215    18.4%
Foreign:  $179,185,415    81.6%

= Worldwide:  $219,536,630  

Don't know if it has markets remaining but looks like 220-225 ww. Under-200 OS is more disappointing to me than the under-50 Dom. Considering China delivered a healthy amount, OS-China was surprisingly weak.

But King Arthur has to be the worst performance of the year. Their budgets or not that far apart. And according to Mojo they are nearly the same.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $39,175,066    26.3%
Foreign:  $109,500,000    73.7%

= Worldwide:  $148,675,066  
Edited by a2knet

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $40,351,215    18.4%
Foreign:  $179,185,415    81.6%

= Worldwide:  $219,536,630  

Don't know if it has markets remaining but looks like 220-225 ww. Under-200 OS is more disappointing to me than the under-50 Dom. Considering China delivered a healthy amount, OS-China was surprisingly weak.

But King Arthur has to be the worst performance of the year. Their budgets or not that far apart. And according to Mojo they are nearly the same.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $39,175,066    26.3%
Foreign:  $109,500,000    73.7%

= Worldwide:  $148,675,066  

Valerian has Italy left. Should do $4-5M there. Im thinking a finish around 230M globally. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

It still did 100m more than the previous really big Europeen indie movie Cloud Atlas (could be forgetting one between those), that is true.

Valerian is a far more mainstream effects driven film.   It's more comparable to Jupiter Ascending regardless of who financed it.  But it's doing better than JA O/S mostly due to France.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Valerian is a far more mainstream effects driven film.   It's more comparable to Jupiter Ascending regardless of who financed it.  But it's doing better than JA O/S mostly due to France.

I thought Napoleon was half joking with that Indie / foreign movie statement, and I was going a bit with it.

Cloud atlas was not made by a studio even if Hanks pushed hard and the directors did invest some of their own money in the movie to be able to get done (mostly German financing), because yes it was a much less mainstream concept.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even though this is a flop I think King Arthur is a bigger one 

Both King Arthur and Monster Truck do feel like bigger flop of the year imo. The promise in some way the biggest I guess (a nearly 100m movie that box office mojo do not even bother to enter is box office correctly and made 10m WW), but barely count because of is financing context, people were not trying to do any money with that movie and Imagine P&A was no where near the other movie we are talking about and could still have loss less money.

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even though this is a flop I think King Arthur is a bigger one 

King Arthur is definitely the bigger bomb. Most of Valerian's budget was covered by sales to foreign distributors (the China distributor alone paid 50M), so while it isn't a profit generator, Europa didn't lose too much money.

• Like 1