Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Wow, we have our 2017 Summer bomb set and ready to go. It is gonna be glorious. Another Jupiter Ascending. 

Leaving artistic judgements aside, nothing in Luc's recent box office record shows any reason for giving him 180 Million bucks to play with. He did have a modest hit with Lucy, but that was a 40 Million dollar film. It it had cost 180 Million, it would have been a box office flop.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Wow, we have our 2017 Summer bomb set and ready to go. It is gonna be glorious. Another Jupiter Ascending. 

It seems totally irresponsible to spend so much money on a property like this. The leads are not even stars, i dont get it.

• Like 1

Leaving artistic judgements aside, nothing in Luc's recent box office record shows any reason for giving him 180 Million bucks to play with. He did have a modest hit with Lucy, but that was a 40 Million dollar film. It it had cost 180 Million, it would have been a box office flop.

Lucy actually cost $70m and made $458m - it was a sizable success.  If it had cost $180m it would have been a modest hit.

Still, this movie with this cast - $180m is kind of nutty.

Oh, shut up, all.

Luc has MILLIONS of his own money, he can do what he wants with them.

Just be grateful that someone spends so much to give you a good movie.

Also, the movie will be an international hit, so even if you invested a couple of millions in it (which seems to be the case judging by your comments), you'll get your money's worth.

Oh, what is it, you didn't invest anything because you don't have anything? Then don't be jealous and leave famous producers to do what they do best.

My major problem with Lucy was that it was much less imaginative than many people claimed it was, so I hope with $180 million on his hands Besson can bring back some of that genuine large-scale Fifth Element craziness. 

It is his dream project, his Star Wars, his Avatar.

Mezieres is his favorite cartoonist since he was a kid, Valerian was his favorite, he would run like crazy in the morning to get a copy of a new issue.

Mezières & Jean Giraud ( MEOBIUS), the two most legendary french cartoonists, both worked on the Fith Element back in 1997.

Sadly, Giraud is no longer with us but Valerian will be done in close relationship with its creator.

From what I understand, Besson already sold 90m of distribution rights around the world.

He decided to do Valerian after seing Avatar ( you can understand what brought those two together, they share a same passion).

Go Luc !

• Like 2

Exactly.

Lucy was a monstrous success - and a monstrously bad movie. It only made so much because it was embraced by the INTERSTELLAR "I'm not very bright, so I like fake-intelligence movies which make me feel smarter" crowd. lol

Not entirely true. It was also embraced by the "I like ScarJo coz she's hotttttt" crowd.

• Like 2

Valerian and Laureline.... and this or that is the title of the comics, why not of the movie?

Maybe bcs Laureline got in other countries (at least here in Germany) for whatever reasons another name? (Veronique)

About Lucy:

We watched Lucy with my pupils for the media comparison (and more) thing I do e.g. at the school I work part-time.

They liked it in varying degrees (very much to middle with a slight tendency to positive)

All were of one opinion about liking it for e.g. having anti-cliche details like female lead being the 'fighter', no romance (beside a very small moment some see it as such), and.... so on.

The idea to show the panic... via the animal scenes, the lessening of those scenes as she evovled more and more into a not 'chemical' steered being... and such was also liked.

The 10% they were aware about, but could live far better with than seemingly some people at e.g. IMDb (movie isn't based on reality anyway...)

Group watching was for some reasons 12y to 17y old, both genders, everyone of them has to say something about the whys and so on.

• Like 1

Dane DeHaan is such a shitty actor.

Anticipation went down.

Should've gone with Andrew Garfield if they were picking people out of TASM2.

There's no one to choose from Chronicle.

Jury's still out on Cara.

Again, demonstrating to the whole forum that you have no clue what you are talking about. Dehaan is actually a promising upcoming actor.

Other than frustrating douche interviewers, face contortion also happens to be one of Cara's many many talents.

c752bc0fc13accaf3c295d6ae11d6c7d.jpg

uhh how many times must it be said, she was the douche, as well as the interviewers. Cara is no sweetheart.

• Like 1

Lucy actually cost $70m and made $458m - it was a sizable success.  If it had cost $180m it would have been a modest hit.

Still, this movie with this cast - $180m is kind of nutty.

And Bresson;s record until Lucy was one flop after another.

The film will be aimed at the overseas market. Bresson's style is simply too Euro for American audiences.

• Like 1

The third Asterix movie had a budget of about 110m. It did pretty well, getting about 130m total (mostly, I think, from European markets.)

I'd guess that the hope here is that this plays equally well in Europe but also has gets traction in Asia. The US gross is probably not going to be make-or-break for it in comparison.

• Like 1

I think this is a case of a director who yes, had a bonafide blockbuster in Lucy...but also has consistently delivered hits as a producer.

Then they just went...big idea movie...ok, Luc, you've earned it. Even if it's not totally obvious. As a complete fanboy of Fifth Element, I approve. Even if "starring Dane DeHaan" doesn't move me.

Even the Wachowski's would veto this movie title for being too niche.

Yes, because their opinion of what can succeed at the box office has merit.

And I'm a Wachowski fan.

Seriously, let's embrace this. Movies coming from not Hollywood...on mega budgets and trying to appeal to the world.

Sure, it may not completely work. It probably won't be what it needs to be. But I fucking SUPPORT it.

Now let's get some of those Chinese blockbusters playing worldwide.

I for one would love a world where blockbusters come from all corners. I'd LOVE it.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 4