Moviedweeb

Favorite Box Office Runs

Titanic's run is mind-boggling. For some reason I have been following MIB3 really closely even though I wasn't so into the movie. I followed the sh#t out of Titanic 3D. Its performance in China was one of the box office highlights of the year.

Edited by Clavius

[*]Titanic

[*]Star Wars

[*]E.T. The Extraterestrial

[*]My Big Fat Greek Wedding

[*]Jaws

[*]The Empire Strikes Back

[*]Return of the Jedi

[*]Grease

[*]The Exorcist

[*]Raiders of the Lost Ark

[*]Beverly Hills Cop

[*]Ghostbusters

[*]Back to the Future

[*]Top Gun

[*]Rain Man

[*]Crocodile Dundee

[*]Three Men and a Baby

[*]Batman

[*]Dances with Wolves

[*]Terminator 2: Judgement Day

[*]Home Alone

[*]Mrs. Doubtfire

[*]Ghost

[*]Aladin

[*]Jurassic Park

[*]Forrest Gump

[*]The Lion King

[*]There's Something About Mary

[*]The Sixth Sense

[*]Spider-Man

[*]Independence Day

[*]The Phantom Menace

[*]The Fellowship of the Ring

[*]The Curse of the Black Pearle

[*]Passion of the Christ

[*]Avatar

[*]Twister

[*]Meet the Fockers

[*]The Blind Side

[*]The Hangover

[*]Finding Nemo

[*]Saving Private Ryan

[*]Wedding Crashers

Edited by tawasal

1) Marvel's The Avengers (this is the first film that I tracked daily - all others were just weekends)2) The Phantom Menace (I did track TPM daily gross briefly at its end to see if it could catch Titanic for fastest to $400m)3) Revenge of the SithOther movies that checked box office stats on were: The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Shrek 2, The Passion of the Christ, and Pirates DMC

What are some of your favorite box office runs and which films did you track most obsessively? Also, what are some of the films you thought you could care less about but ended up following?

I cared less about My Big Fat Greek Wedding when it released. It wasn't on my radar until a BOM poster mentioned it several weeks in its run and said something to the effect of "ummm...guys? MBFGW is now in the top 10 despite this being its 15th week. It's weekend grosses have only been increasing. This could be big." That's when I started paying attention. At that point MBFGW had about $35million in the bank and went on to gross over $200mil more.

I bet that's when studios began looking at the gradual rollout strategy in earnest.

• Like 1

In the last couple of years and among several others....Watchmen: tracked close, did incredibly bad (in terms of how it played)ROTPOTA: watched very closely hoping for no excuse not to make a sequelMidnight in Paris: loved the movie, amazing legs!MI4: very interesting release strategy, kept a very close eyeI wasn't even a teenager in '97, but I followed Titanic's performance every Tuesday in the LA times and the performance was ridiculously great. Every week I did a double-take.

Edited by Clavius

Of those that I did track - TDK, The Departed, Bourne Ultimatum, The Hangover, HTTYD, Inception, Midnight in Paris. Some of them might not have had exceptional performances, but I loved the films and it was a thrill to see them succeed to such an extent.If we are talking overall - Titanic, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Jurassic Park are pretty awe-inspiring. Same with Jaws, SW and GWTW, of course, if we go way back. Special mention to The Exorcist - over $800m adjusted for a shocking, graphic, hard-R horror film is a hell of an achievement. These days it's pretty hard to imagine a horror film making even $150m... truly shows what kind of an event that movie was.LOTR films and Shrek 2 had pretty terrific legs off of sizable openings if we're back to modern era. And the $300m one-two punch of The Lion King and Forrest Gump in summer 1994 tends to be underrated, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Of the ones that I've followed, I'd say1) Avatar2) The Hunger Games3) Transformers 24) New Moon5) How To Train Your DragonSpecial mention to TASM for how much fun and stupidity it has brought already. :P I think by the end of its run it will be one of my favorites too.

Batman Returns was the first movie I actually followed the box office run for. You kids have no idea what it was like before the internet. Unless you lived in a big city that sold Variety, the only way to find box office numbers was to wait for Showbiz Today on CNN or some other entertainment show to report them on Monday, and they usually only reported the top 5.Since then, the box office runs I've followed most obsessively have been:Jurassic Park - at first I was pissed that it beat both Batman's openings, but once I saw the movie I was pleased. That sucker never dropped more than 43% from week to week, and even that was many months after its release.Mars Attacks! - that was a heart breaker, but the UK release made up for it.Star Wars Special Edition - that was unbelievable for a re-release.Titanic - duh!TPM - whatever your feelings about the movie, still the most incredible run for a record-breaking opener. I loved seeing it pass all the films that came out after it that summer. It was unstoppable!AOTCBig FishROTSThe Simpsons Movie (overseas was more exciting than US)Sweeney ToddSuper 8Cabin in the Woods - loved how it had better legs than anyone expectedAvengersI only really get excited about box office runs of films I'm rooting for. Otherwise, they just get a "hmm, that's quite impressive" from me.