Moviedweeb

SAT/Wkd Numbers (EST TASM $23.8m(+15%)/$65m; Savages $5.6m(-2%)/$16.2m; KP 2.5m(-8%)/7.2m

http://www.hollywood...x-office-346113

The two films are doing relatively soft business at the Friday multiplex as "Amazing Spider-Man," "Ted" and "Magic Mike" continue to dominate.

Facing fierce competition, Oliver Stone's R-rated crime drama Savages and 3D concert documentaryKaty Perry: Part of Me are struggling at the Friday box office, according to very early returns.

The two films hoped to lure their target audiences away fromAmazing Spider-Man this weekend, but it could be a difficult task. Complicating matters are holdovers Ted and Magic Mike, both of which overperformed in their debuts last weekend and continue to do big business.

Universal was so keen on Savages, based on Don Winslow'sbest-selling novel, that it moved the film from September to this weekend hoping to woo adults and especially males. The film looks to gross $4 million to $5 million on Friday for a three-day debut in $11 million to $15 million range -- not enough to take out Amazing Spider-Man, Ted (also an R-rated Universal pic) and Magic Mike.

Savages marks Stone's return to more violent fare and starsTaylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson, John Travolta, Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek.

Part of Me, from Paramount Insurge, opened Thursday to a soft $3.1 million to come No. 5; early returns suggest it isn't seeing much of a Friday bump.

Katy Perry's concert doc could only gross $2.5 million to $3.5 million for the day, putting its four-day opening in the low- to mid-teens, a disappointing start for the fan-driven film (financially, Paramount is on solid ground, since Part of Me only cost $12 million to produce).

That's substantially lower than the openings for two other concert docs: fellow Insurge pic Justin Bieber: Never Say Never ($29.4 million last year) and Disney's Hannah Montana: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour ($31.1 million in 2008), though those films debuted outside of summer.

Paramount believes Part of Me, receiving a glowing A CinemaScore, will have a long run thanks to strong word-of-mouth and good reviews. On Monday, the studio hosted fan sneaks in 100 theaters across the country for Perry's millions of Twitter followers.

Part of Me -- which charts the pop star's meteoric rise to fame and her California Dreams concert tour -- also opens in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K. this weekend.

Amazing Spider-Man, opening Tuesday, has grossed $75 million in its first three days of play at the North American box office and is expected to earn in the $58 million to $60 range for the weekend, putting its six-day debut north of $130 million.

So far, Marc Webb's superhero tentpole, starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, is turning in the best performance of any July 4th film outside of the original Transformers in 2007.

Amazing Spider-Man will be playing virtually around the world this weekend after rolling out in only 11 foreign markets last weekend. By Sunday night, its worldwide tally could be well north of $250 million.

In other action overseas, Ted is showing signs of being a sleeper hit. The raunchy comedy is doing record-breaking business in Australia, where it's expected to come in No. 1 this weekend, ahead ofAmazing Spider-Man and Part of Me. The film, officially opening on Thursday, has grossed $4 million in its first two days.

Edited by Clavius

Not too bad for Savages

Not really that great though. I've seen a lot of commercials for it on tv, so they likely spent a decent amount for marketing too. (I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in the $20-40million range.)

Not really that great though. I've seen a lot of commercials for it on tv, so they likely spent a decent amount for marketing too. (I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in the $20-40million range.)

It's not great, but from the predictions on here, anything in the double digits looks like a miracle.

From september to july...Savages won't be saved!Too many R successes around it.Poor Kitsch.Is it march or may or what?Last Travolta success was what...Hairspray in 2007?TASM making less in its OW than its 2 first days?huh

• Like 1