Moviedweeb

SAT/Wkd Numbers (EST TASM $23.8m(+15%)/$65m; Savages $5.6m(-2%)/$16.2m; KP 2.5m(-8%)/7.2m

X Men was never a juggernaught like SM to begin with. So this will end between $275 - 300 mio and when you adjust all Raimi movies to inflation and take out 3D price hike, it isn`t all that impressive.

Not that FC was impressive but it was also set in 60s which is harder sell than contemporary one.

So true!

A 60's Spider-Man could have a certain allure/charm, for sure.

I would love to see that.

But the "kiddie brand" killed that eventuality.

• Founder / Operator

But it's not true. It's actually a decent opening for Savages.

What's funny is how Nikki played up its opening but downplayed Katy Perry's -- even though the latter cost much less and will make back its budget over five days. Savages cost nearly three times its opening weekend. :lol:

What's funny is how Nikki played up its opening but downplayed Katy Perry's -- even though the latter cost much less and will make back its budget over five days. Savages cost nearly three times its opening weekend. :lol:

Nikki always has agendas.

"Magic Mike" dropped hard but it doesn't matter, it's already a success. Even if it slight crawls over 100, SS, Channing won big time for this movie. What can I say about "Ted", wow, WOM is really good for this. TASM did very well and proved Sony right about rebooting too soon. Fans still lined up for another Spidey adventure. Solid weekend overall. Also Katy Perry didn't flop, Concert movies are cheap to make. I also wouldn't call "Savages" a flop, sure the numbers look like a flop but based on the type of movie it is, it's doing pretty good. A 3x mutiplier gets it's budget back, I also think it will find an overseas audience with the stars in it. I can't wait to see it, really good cast.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

"Magic Mike" dropped hard but it doesn't matter, it's already a success. Even if it slight crawls over 100, SS, Channing won big time for this movie. Solid weekend overall. Also Katy Perry didn't flop, Concert movies are cheap to make. I also wouldn't call "Savages" a flop, sure the numbers look like a flop but based on the type of movie it is, it's doing pretty good. A 3x mutiplier gets it's budget back, I also think it will find an overseas audience with the stars in it. I can't wait to see it, really good cast.

Agreed with everything in this post. Savages could still end up having a decent run, pending overseas success.

I'm glad to see MM break out. A 60% drop was expected (I even had that as the barometer in the Summer Game question this week) seeing as it had a rush factor to it. Doesn't matter if it hits 85-90 or 100. Its a terrific result.

Taylor Kitsh "the worst box office performer in the history of movies"??? Seriously Nikki? What about the tons of actors whose entire ouvres have grossed less than 100 million dollars? What about all the actors that never had a film open in more than ten theatres? What a drama queen...

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

I'll bet you I could name a dozen actors, off the top of my head, that have had worse grosses than Kitsch in their early years. None of these movies he was in were promoted as a Taylor Kitsch movie. None of them were greenlit because of him. None of them (the first two) had ridiculous budgets predicated on his name selling them. He's just a guy that happened to be the star of them, but people knew that after the fact. It's the studios that should take the fall for this, not the "star". Whatever producer okayed this is the one that should be the fall guy.

• Like 5

Nikki, and I do love her, overdid it with the Taylor hate. I just did a thread breaking down Taylor and Tatum's year. "John Carter and Battle Ship" weren't all his fault and the filmmakers and writers have to take some blame. "Savages" as I said earilier is doing fine. Don't let the 45 Million Budget fool you, that was mostly Cast Salaries, it's a small R-rated drug/action film. "Scarface" didn't do that great for it's time. I'm not saying "Savages" is a Classic like that but calling it a flop is premature. I think Taylor will bounce back, he's only 31 and plenty of actors we know and love have had more flops than successes in their careers. It's just hard cause on one hand you have Tatum lighting it up and Taylor just can't breakout. There's only a microscope cause everything is happening in the same year.

• Like 1