riczhang

Riczhang's Year 3 Reviews

Of my films this year, Black as Night was the one I fleshed out and planned out more, but I had a lot to go on already because I wrote it before, only upgraded it since I didn't have it saved anywhere.

I can tell you this one probably won't score as well, because it's PTA, and I really can't help but compare it against TWBB. Kinda hard for any film to top TWBB IMO, it's #20 on my all time list. :lol:

TWBB is fantastic. I used PTA because I thought it might be a bit out of his element to do a film like Black as Night, so it would be an unique venture for him. Some of the plot twists do resonate with a certain PTA-ish feel, in my opinion.

TWBB is fantastic. I used PTA because I thought it might be a bit out of his element to do a film like Black as Night, so it would be an unique venture for him. Some of the plot twists do resonate with a certain PTA-ish feel, in my opinion.

It definitely is PTA through and through. Though I felt it could've just as easily been a Coen bros film, but definitely they wouldn't have created the level of quality that PTA would with the same everything else.

I didn't do Nolan because I didn't want people to think I was using him because of his work on Inception.

I can see why, you wouldn't do Nolan. D.J. Caruso was definitely an interesting choice. At one point I was tempted to sink it due to poor execution. But I decided I loved the film too much to do that. :lol: I was reading the film, and I was thinking right off the bat that the film was a Nolan film, and was actually mildly surprised that the film wasn't a Nolan film. ^_^

June:

7-9 June:

Ag3nts: 6.5/10

Idea is too simple for my taste, but story is well executed if plain. Should be a hit with the children.

14-16 June:

Voyage to Atlantis: 7/10

Decent adventure flick, story’s okay, and so is the acting, but the destination could’ve been changed. Atlantis has been overdone with adventure films, and this one wasn’t even visually spectacular enough to leave too lasting of an impression.

Kill that Director!: 7.5/10

Finally a well executed, well written, and funny comedy. The premise, and some of the jokes may not be for everyone, but give it a chance.

21-23 June:

Legend of the Red Dragon: 7.5/10

The use of convenient plot points at times is glaringly obvious, but overall it is a fun adventure for all. Dragon looked pretty good too considering the 85 million budget. The acting was pretty good, with Hutcherson being the stand out of the cast, and Ellen Page while good, was disappointing as I expected more from her. Adamson however still stumbles on some of the same mistakes that Narnia experienced, but has noticeably improved.

Consciousness Slip: 6.5/10

Good action, film doesn’t seem to have a concrete end-game, seems incomplete. Jean Dujardin’s accent made things hard to understand as well.

28-30 June:

Bobby: 8/10

I loved the premise for the animation, which is unique, and interesting. The voice acting was great; however the storyline felt like it could’ve been more fleshed out. Oh, and cut out the post credits scene. It’s depressing. Animation was gorgeous, and well done.

Nadia: The Perfect 10: 9/10

Learned lots, well done bio-pic. Probably too boring for most people though.

July

4-7 July:

The Walker Chronicles: 7/10

Plot overall decent, but was confusing at times, and sometimes felt lost, but in a movie with epic space battles, do people really care?

12-14 July:

Chaperones: 5.5/10

Cast saves this movie from disaster. Nothing else to say about it.

The Dead in the House: 6.5/10

The movie tells a tale of the fragility and value of human life, and does it well. However, it suffers from being unable to decide whether it is a drama with a message to convey, or a horror film, particularly in the beginning and the end.

19-21 July:

8AM: 5/10

Why is “They Live” getting a remake? Story was poor (Also in part due to the fact that there have been way to many sci-fi films, that they’re all as a whole getting boring), acting was plain. And the 3D glasses idea seemed ingenious but in practice was annoying. However the 3D itself was very well done, the cinematographer needs to be commended for this. The script was commendable though, and the action was well choreographed, however there was one long fight scene between Tom Cruise and Will Smith that seemed to drag on for ages.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: 0.5/10

This is worse than Shyamalan’s, ‘nuff said.

26-28 July:

A Wrinkle in Time: 8.5/10

Well scripted, well acted, and above all charming.

Broken Earth: 0/10

This I can’t even talk about. Next.

Your too nice to Broken Earth :PI had Melting Earth in the old CAYOM. And another one about the Sun exploding. Yes I must be evil with these flops :P

:rofl: Well Broken Earth could begin to dig itself a whole below zero. :P

Consciousness Slip: 6.5/10

Good action, film doesn’t seem to have a concrete end-game, seems incomplete. Jean Dujardin’s accent made things hard to understand as well.

Good point on the endgame. Thought the clone idea was enough to carry it, but I meant to go back and edit in a better ending but didn't have time/ideas.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: 0.5/10

This is worse than Shyamalan’s, ‘nuff said.

OUCH. My whole goal of that was to redeem the franchise from Shyamalan's turd. I figured LotR style was the way to go, and I hear Red Cliff is good, which is why I chose John Woo. Also tried better with the casting. Oh well.

OUCH. My whole goal of that was to redeem the franchise from Shyamalan's turd. I figured LotR style was the way to go, and I hear Red Cliff is good, which is why I chose John Woo. Also tried better with the casting. Oh well.

I personally don't like John Woo, and having asian actors makes the dialogue hard to understand as they all have thick accents. Probably should've explained that better. I felt that by choosing asian actors you essentially made the entire move practically un-understandable without subtitles or dubbing.

I do remember in CAYOM A the time someone posted Exploading Soap 3D. Somehow this film was 90 minutes and it was just soap exploding. I said it should not be allowed but others said it could be....Even stranger-they put Streep in the film.

I do remember in CAYOM A the time someone posted Exploading Soap 3D. Somehow this film was 90 minutes and it was just soap exploding. I said it should not be allowed but others said it could be....Even stranger-they put Streep in the film.

Well she's finally in a film worse than Mamma Mia....

Someone else put a plot with just people sleeping the entrie film and I refused to post it and someone said it could be a film, just because Andy Warhol did some crappy films like that does not mean they would release this to theaters.

Someone else put a plot with just people sleeping the entrie film and I refused to post it and someone said it could be a film, just because Andy Warhol did some crappy films like that does not mean they would release this to theaters.

Walk Run Stop had them all beat