A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

On 12/21/2016 at 2:24 AM, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

I don't hate this movie. I am not a fan of the games. I just feel sorry for the fans though. Hollywood, as usual, botched another popular and potential property. And, I am getting sick of the trend of Hollywood screwing up franchises (Ghostbusters, Star Trek , TMNT , DCEU, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, etc.). This needs to stop if we don't want the only live-action tentpole movies to be either Marvel or Star Wars. If we want Hollywood to stop, first, they need to hear our voices. And, I am just trying to make my voice loud enough.   

The best way is to not pay to see the movies at all.

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

with Warcraft and AC flops and the likely flop of Tomb Raider this is likely the end of any more attempts at video game movies for the time being

As for Tomb Raider,  it is  1) WB  2) Video game moive  3) previous entries in the franchise are crap. Oh Boy, this kind of rare trifecta is just way too "AMAZING" to miss out on. 

• Like 1

As a couple of people have stated, the real problem with Video Games adaptions is that the plot and charecters for most video games are simply too thin and too cliché to make a good movie. Let's face it, the plot for most video games are a mass of sci fi or fantasy clichés.And I play quite a few video games.

There are Video Games that have enough plot and interesting charecters to make a good movie...but these are pretty much games made only for the Computer and are "Hard Core" stat based RPG games. "Planescape:Torment" and the first two "Fallout " games could make good movies if well handled. But producers choose to go after the big selling console games...which are action oriented and the plots and characters are very thin and serve only to set up the gameplay.

BTW they are rebooting the Tomb Raider films....it will be interesting to see if they go with the rebooted Lara Croft who is considerably  younger and has much more depth as a character then the original Lara Croft.

There are tons of cliches in movies as well. There is nothing particularly great about the story in your typical blockbuster.

This talk of videogames being so hard to adapt has become a self fulfilling prophecy. Everyone just kinda accepts it just because 95% of adaptations haven't been given any chance to be good.

Videogames have still not been around for a very long time relatively speaking, somewhere down the road the stars will align and a group of very talented individuals will crack the code, with the full backing of a major studio, maybe even people who grew up playing them. And finally all those perpetuating the unfilmable myth will become silent. Hollywood will keep trying since they love IPs, anyway.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

Admittedly I haven't played most recent popular games but I feel like each time out, the filmmakers strive for visual fidelity but don't spend enough time creating a story that works for a movie, as opposed to one that fits gameplay. Depending on the game, this might require a pretty loose adaptation, but isn't the point to make an entertaining movie, as opposed to something completely faithful to the original game elements?

• Like 2

I know I'm repeating myself but I just have to say this again; Warcraft was 15-20 minutes and a better king(actor) away from crossing 500m WW and being considered a success.

It's pretty damn ambitious and you can really feel that it was taken damn serious by the people who made it. They really wanted to make a LOTR kind of movie out of it and imho they almost got it right. I just watched it again on Xmas and I gotta say I really like it for its ambitions. So damn close. Those 20 cut minutes were crucial.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Admittedly I haven't played most recent popular games but I feel like each time out, the filmmakers strive for visual fidelity but don't spend enough time creating a story that works for a movie, as opposed to one that fits gameplay. Depending on the game, this might require a pretty loose adaptation, but isn't the point to make an entertaining movie, as opposed to something completely faithful to the original game elements?

Particularly since most video games really don't have enough  meat on the bones as far as plot and characters goes to make a good movie. I am not knocking video games...heaven knows I play a lot of them...(including the original DOS version of  Warcraft,back when it was a Real Time Strategy Game) but recognizing the problems in adapting them to the screen.