The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On yeah, my bad. But again, it was said that Rami didnt have full control right? Sony took in more charge that a studio should do.The point is, Nolan takes full control of TDKR, so I'll just look up his tracking record rather than thinking other how trilogies went on the 3rd film.

Yeah, Sony did have a major part in SM3, making Raimi do stuff that he did not want to do.

Nobody asked Raimi to keep the stupid Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer plot. That was what killed the franchise, not Venom.

Uh, no it wasn't. Maybe for you it did. The majority of folk were primarily displeased with the depiction of Venom to notice or care about the Sandman plot. Most of my friends who were comic book fans didn't care about the Sandman aspect. They basically complained about Venom.Sometimes liberties are taken for storytelling. Christopher Nolan merged Henri Ducard and Ra's al Ghul into one character. Did anyone truly complain? Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I disliked the Sandman character. He just wasn't very interesting as a character. Plus, I hated that they changed Uncle Ben's death and made it the Sandman's fault. Tha was stupid. I didn't have a problem with Venom being in the movie. I just didn't like the way they exacuted it.

• Like 1

I disliked the Sandman character. He just wasn't very interesting as a character. Plus, I hated that they changed Uncle Ben's death and made it the Sandman's fault. Tha was stupid. I didn't have a problem with Venom being in the movie. I just didn't like the way they exacuted it.

I am a Raimi fan as much as the next guy. But putting the fault in a convoluted Venom appearance when that was the least of the movie's problems would be the same if Catwoman's appearance in TDKR turns out to be convoluted and blame the studios because Nolan decides that it's brilliant to make Bane's real name Joe Chill.

I am a Raimi fan as much as the next guy. But putting the fault in a convoluted Venom appearance when that was the least of the movie's problems would be the same if Catwoman's appearance in TDKR turns out to be convoluted and blame the studios because Nolan decides that it's brilliant to make Bane's real name Joe Chill.

More people complained about Venom's depiction than Sandman's.

Sandman was awful. So was the crap with Harry's convenient amnesia and how the butler conveniently decided to tell him years after the fact that his dad actually killed himself. Could have told him that shit years ago. Horrible revisionist BS from Raimi.

A franchise can recover itself from a bad take on a villain and give something better in the sequel, Power Goblin and Ock are proof. But a franchise can't recover from something so awfully flawed and contrived as the bullshit that the Raimis came up for the 3rd film. I'll bet my life savings that this came from RAIMI, and not Sony. Raimi fucked up his own trilogy by his own revisionist history. And this comes from someone that will love and defend the both first films until his last breath.

A franchise can recover itself from a bad take on a villain and give something better in the sequel, Power Goblin and Ock are proof. But a franchise can't recover from something so awfully flawed and contrived as the bullshit that the Raimis came up for the 3rd film. I'll bet my life savings that this came from RAIMI, and not Sony. Raimi fucked up his own trilogy by his own revisionist history. And this comes from someone that will love and defend the both first films until his last breath.

I enjoy the first two a lot as well, but the third one had me shaking my head early on and it just kept getting worse and worse. People can blame the studio for Venom, but they can't blame the studio for the revisionist BS about Sandman killing Uncle Ben or Harry's Butler choosing not to tell him about his dad until just the right moment at the end of SM3. You can't get any more contrived than that.
  • Like 1

It seems weird that a thread for TDKR was put up this early in this forum. Isn't there already a spoiler thread in the Batman forum. It's gonna be frustrating for people who wanna read reviews and have to scroll through all this first...

http://www.newsday.c...stand-1.3834110When I heard about they using the occupy movement, I was naively hoping for something that would put that movement in a good light, not as something that Bane uses to dethrone Batman's "super power", not something to villainize something that I find as a legit movement. I will have a beef with this even if I love this film, but that I see as something that can piss some critics off, and something way more controversial than the ending. As for spoilers, red I was talking about

the nuclear explosion

, I didn't know about that.

Edited by Chris O Donnell

TDKR Awesome, will go see it again Imax (If you can go see it in proper Imax). Overall reaction seemed great, people I saw who I knew all said enjoyed. It doesn't top TDK (pretty big legs to do that) did have a brief discussion on if you could say it was equal or just below It does leave you wanting more, overall awesome trilogy. But I do need to go revisted the first two, probably do that before I seen TDKR again.

• Like 1

There are spoilers in here:

Going into the film, I’m going to admit I was expecting nothing short of a masterpiece like the type that I know Chris Nolan can deliver, and he absolutely did. Looking back on the entire trilogy as a whole, Nolan has constructed a very human story, that chronicles Batman from conception to symbol, and legend, like never before. Both, Schumacher, and Burton’s version pale completely against the emotion that Nolan has imbued within his unique, and personal take on something that we’ve all grown up deciding we know everything about. What he created within just this movie is that is exceptional is that he created something up close and personal, yet on a grand scale that cannot be matched by either of the previous Batman films. This can partially be credited to Chris, and Jonathan’s vision in the story for the film, partially to Chris’s masterful direction, but also to the technical crew that created the sets, the effects, and most importantly I want to single out Wally Pfister whose adept skill in handling the camera created many breathtaking, and memorable scenes, and shots. I can only imagine what the scenes would look like in traditional 15/70 IMAX. (Which I will be seeing Friday at Midnight, and I will comment on that as well.) The movie makes use of beautiful and dramatic visuals such as high speed chases, helicopter shots, and etc. to top everything off, and wrap this movie, and the trilogy very beautifully in a bow. Perhaps it is the lingering presence that is taken from Inspector Gordon’s last words in The Dark Knight, “We chase him because he can take it, because he’s the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now. A Dark Knight,” that created a feeling that Batman is always there, watching, waiting, despite being absent for long stretches during the movie, particularly at the beginning. The acting in this is top notch as Bale continues to deliver a great performance, this time showing the fragility of the human mind, and the pain of loss. Oldman, Freeman, and Caine continue to shine, and give solid performances, but after 3 movies, and countless rewatches of the previous two, they are all good in their roles, yet unspectacular, particularly among the other outstanding performances in this film. Cotillard is perhaps the only person I had problems with, as she served her job, served it well, but in the end wholly unspectacular, and it is only by virtue of her character arc that she remains a memorable character. Levitt as John Blake is perfectly casted, and if not for a few slip ups in his accent, he would’ve been pretty much perfect, as he brings a character that looks so flat, and boring on paper, into something with a story, with a purpose, and with a meaning. John evolves in the story, and the believability that Levitt pulls it off with is pretty amazing. For Hardy, he was the perfect villain, and for reasons I will discuss in the next paragraph, created a Bane that fit right into Nolan’s Gotham. While he will, and no one ever will match up to the force of Heath Ledger’s Oscar, Hardy is pretty much as close as it gets. But, the star of the show is Anne Hathaway, who’s Catwoman is everything that Catwoman should be, and what Michelle Pfeiffer’s Catwoman should’ve been, yet also uniquely hers and Chris’s. She is sexy, and cunning, mysterious yet understandable in a way. The Dark Knight Rises sets Gotham on a different course that I envisioned upon seeing TDK, and from what I mulled over for the next four years, but it doesn’t mean that I didn’t like it. As I sat afterwards processing everything, I came to appreciate, and like Chris’s more than mine, because my vision was positively robotic compared to Chris’s human story. He humanises everything, even Bane, and creates Bane as a character that is relatable, and while you may not like him, you at least feel for him a shred of sympathy. Or is it compassion? Or Both? But in the end it doesn’t matter, as Chris’s story is one that makes Gotham transcend the screen, and become real. It becomes a story that you can cheer for, and that you feel emotionally attached to as you see especially the final show down between Batman, and his first physical match. As a whole, Nolan crafts an impeccable film, which is a worthy follow-up to The Dark Knight. From the first moment with the facaded Gotham, to the slow but sure return of Batman, we see what a genius Nolan is and that he hasn’t lost his touch at all, but in fact probably gained more of it since we last saw his skills displayed in 2010’s Inception. Even though certain plot points, (

like in Batman Begins

felt vaguely familiar the sheer spectacle that Nolan achieved it on, might as well have made it brand new. Lastly, I’d just like to say yes it’s bleak, yes it’s depressing, and yes it’s sombre, but it’s brilliant. Emotionally, It takes you to the depth of hell, but if that is the price, I’d gladly pay it every day. Well done Mr. Nolan.

• Like 2