The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I need to see it in real IMAX to give a final verdict on the film. As a whole it didn't feel like as perfect as TDK and the story wasn't as good as BB, but TDKR had some amazing moments and arguably the best climax of the trilogy. The ending teared me up, it was just what I wanted. Kinda figured the twist after listening to Zimmer's Rise track. I'm watching the marathon tomorrow to compare the films, I can't give a final rating to TDKR as of yet. However a few things:TDK ending > TDKR ending > BB endingBale as Batman: BB > TDKR > TDKFirst act: BB > TDK > TDKRSecond act: TDK > BB > TDKRThird act: TDKR > TDK > BBHumor: TDK > BB > TDKRAction: TDKR > TDK > BBEmotion: TDKR > TDK > BBJoker > BaneHathaway > Pfeiffer

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

I need to see it in real IMAX to give a final verdict on the film. As a whole it didn't feel like as perfect as TDK and the story wasn't as good as BB, but TDKR had some amazing moments and arguably the best climax of the trilogy. The ending teared me up, it was just what I wanted. Kinda figured the twist after listening to Zimmer's Rise track. I'm watching the marathon tomorrow to compare the films, I can't give a final rating to TDKR as of yet. However a few things:TDK ending > TDKR ending > BB endingBale as Batman: BB > TDKR > TDKFirst act: BB > TDK > TDKRSecond act: TDK > BB > TDKRThird act: TDKR > TDK > BBHumor: TDK > BB > TDKRAction: TDKR > TDK > BBEmotion: TDKR > TDK > BBJoker > BaneHathaway > Pfeiffer

I'd say the first act is the strongest of the three, it builds the entire film very nicely, albeit a tad slow, and long.
  • Like 1

The first act builds slowly compared to TDK. Nothing can beat BB, it has the perfect first hour.

That I cannot get behind. And, I thought slow for TDKR was a good thing, built the mood very meticulously, and perfectly.

I will use your post as guide since my mind is still not quite fully back to normal yet. This movie gave me a greater appreciation for the other two movies in the series, so it is more difficult for me to definitely say who is better so take rankings as a grain of salt as I think the entire film series is 9.5/10 now,TDKR ending > BB Ending > TDK Ending - um you cant top the let your franchise end and hand it to the next guy any better then Nolan did. Bale Batman BB > TDKR > TDK - Of course Bale was best as Batman in the origin story since he had the whle movie to himself but TDKR Bale is a close 2nd for me. First act BB > TDK .> TDKR Of course how Batman got to be Batman is best. Second Act TDK > TDKR > BB - That was when Joker really took overThird Act TDKR > TDK > BB Prestige/Inception combined for TDKR WOW!Humor TDKR > TDK > BB I laughed a lot more at the general humor of the gotham police and citizensAction TDKR > TDK > BB of course easy pick. Emotion TDKR the other 2 dont really resonateJoker had a stronger individual performance but Bane surely held his own and I liked 'his' plan betterI can't really Hathaway and Pfieffer. They played too differently. I think performance wise Pfieffer wins but story wise within the film Hathaway wins. I got some serious Arkham City flashbacks. Crazy stuff.
  • Like 1

TDK ending > TDKR ending > BB ending

Bale as Batman: BB > TDKR > TDK

First act: TDKR > BB > TDK

Second act: TDK > TDKR > BB

Third act: TDKR >>>> TDK > BB

Humor: TDK > TKDR > BB

Action: TDKR > TDK > BB

Emotion: TDKR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TDK > BB

Edited by riczhang

I'm just completely speechless. The ending just emotionally punched you into the face, and I did get some tears there.Acting is excellent from everyone involved, especially Bale and Hathaway. Hathaway was just perfect in her role as catwoman, her "fake scream" in the beginning made the entire audience laugh, that was memorable. Hardy was excellent as Bane, plus the acting with body language, he always seems unconcerned as if he's at the top and nothing can stop him.Hans Zimmer nails it once again. I heard some of the score and was like it sounds okay, but not mind blowing, but once you hear it with the movie, you're just amazed and want to hear that chant over and over.Camera work was fantastic. The use of thousands of extras really gave off a feeling that it was a civil war.There are some weird issues, like I wonder why thousands of policemen would charge down a road towards people with assault rifles, you'd think the two groups would just exchange a gun battle.Bane's voice was perfectly fine, I'm annoyed with the whiniers who now made them turn the voice into a loud speaker.AI'm looking forward to watching it again on OD midnights just to see if it holds up well on rewatching.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 2

I'd probably give this an A-Hathaway, who I usually can't stand, was amazing. She really is the best thing about this film IMO. She completely immerses herself in the role and makes it her own. Bale, Caine, Freeman and Oldman are all in great form too, as was Gordon-LevittHardy was ok, I didn't think he was that memorable, he was just...there. Most disappointing of the cast was Marion, she's such a terrific actress and has such an incredible presence in other films but here I found her to be a total bore. Music is great and it's beautifully shot too which is to be expected. And the Batman and Catwoman stuff is just incredible. Every time they are on screen I was just beaming from ear to ear. The ending is excellent as is pretty much the final act, that end stretch is just terrific. Even with all that great stuff I still felt slightly disappointed. There were little things that annoyed me like Batman miraculously showing up when characters were about to die (yes, I realise that happens in Begins with Rachel at the end but this seemed to be more noticeable because it was on a much larger scale, Narrows vs all of Gotham). Or, as was pointed out, the police running at the thugs who had machine guns. It was just little things like that that would take me out of the film. I don't think it's in the same league as The Dark Knight or Inception. And even though I didn't like Dark Knight Rises as much as Batman Begins, it really does feel like the true sequel to Begins. The Dark Knight is definitely the black sheep of the family. The crowd were cheering and clapping after it finished, I think it's going to be a huge crowd pleaser. Looking forward to checking it out again, it really is a terrific film despite a few things I didn't like. How I'd rank/rate it next to the other two and Inception. The Dark Knight - A+Batman Begins - AThe Dark Knight Rises - A-Inception - A+

I will use your post as guide since my mind is still not quite fully back to normal yet. This movie gave me a greater appreciation for the other two movies in the series, so it is more difficult for me to definitely say who is better so take rankings as a grain of salt as I think the entire film series is 9.5/10 now,TDKR ending > BB Ending > TDK Ending - um you cant top the let your franchise end and hand it to the next guy any better then Nolan did.Bale Batman BB > TDKR > TDK - Of course Bale was best as Batman in the origin story since he had the whle movie to himself but TDKR Bale is a close 2nd for me.First act BB > TDK .> TDKR Of course how Batman got to be Batman is best.Second Act TDK > TDKR > BB - That was when Joker really took overThird Act TDKR > TDK > BB Prestige/Inception combined for TDKR WOW!Humor TDKR > TDK > BB I laughed a lot more at the general humor of the gotham police and citizensAction TDKR > TDK > BB of course easy pick.Emotion TDKR the other 2 dont really resonateJoker had a stronger individual performance but Bane surely held his own and I liked 'his' plan betterI can't really Hathaway and Pfieffer. They played too differently. I think performance wise Pfieffer wins but story wise within the film Hathaway wins. I got some serious Arkham City flashbacks. Crazy stuff.

We pretty much agree except the humor level, I thought TDK was much funnier, but that's mainly due to The Joker. While I was watching TDKR I realized how much I love BB and even though TDK is still the outstanding film of the franchise due to its gamechanger status, the quality level is incredible high and each film has something specia, so in the future I might come to the conclusion to rate all three as the same and refer to them as Nolan trilogy other than single any of them out. None of them are perfect, but in my opinion:BB first act+TDK second act+TDKR third act=PERFECT FILM
  • Like 1

I'd probably give this an A-Hathaway, who I usually can't stand, was amazing. She really is the best thing about this film IMO. She completely immerses herself in the role and makes it her own.Bale, Caine, Freeman and Oldman are all in great form too, as was Gordon-LevittHardy was ok, I didn't think he was that memorable, he was just...there.Most disappointing of the cast was Marion, she's such a terrific actress and has such an incredible presence in other films but here I found her to be a total bore.Music is great and it's beautifully shot too which is to be expected. And the Batman and Catwoman stuff is just incredible. Every time they are on screen I was just beaming from ear to ear.The ending is excellent as is pretty much the final act, that end stretch is just terrific.Even with all that great stuff I still felt slightly disappointed.There were little things that annoyed me like Batman miraculously showing up when characters were about to die (yes, I realise that happens in Begins with Rachel at the end but this seemed to be more noticeable because it was on a much larger scale, Narrows vs all of Gotham). Or, as was pointed out, the police running at the thugs who had machine guns.It was just little things like that that would take me out of the film.I don't think it's in the same league as The Dark Knight or Inception. And even though I didn't like Dark Knight Rises as much as Batman Begins, it really does feel like the true sequel to Begins. The Dark Knight is definitely the black sheep of the family.The crowd were cheering and clapping after it finished, I think it's going to be a huge crowd pleaser.Looking forward to checking it out again, it really is a terrific film despite a few things I didn't like.How I'd rank/rate it next to the other two and Inception.The Dark Knight - A+Batman Begins - AThe Dark Knight Rises - A-Inception - A+

As a BB fanboy, I am glad to hear more confirmation of TDKR's connection to BB and how TDK is the black sheep of the trilogy. I was afraid BB would just be left in the corner all by itself, which just wouldn't be right since the emotional core of the first two films is primarily in the first hour of BB.