Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

This wont open to #1 OS but it may win on 2nd wkn.

Why won't it open in #1? It looks to be opening in about 15 countries along with the U.S. Release date.

Why does WB release their movies so late overseas? MOS should be opening OS this weekend.

If they release it this weekend, it will have to deal with FF6 2nd weekend, which will still be strong OS. Next weekend is better, MOS will be release in about 13 OS territories on Thursday, and 16 OS territories on Friday. Couple with domestic OW, even if it might not open to no.1 OS (I think it will consider it's FF6's 3rd weekend); MOS will get the No.1 WW on that weekend. Way better for news headlines.

• Like 1

Wow guys I am amazed at the numbers you all r coming up with, I have this movie at 270-300 overseas but I can't see it doing more than double what SR did (191) even with nolan's name, market expansion and addition of 3D. OS audiences are usually slow with reboots but go insane with successful sequels (STID is an unfortunate exception since it was a good movie IMO).

Also some of the release dates are iffy, for example its coming out in russia (a big market) on the same date that MU is and animated movies are usually BIG in russia. The film is also coming in very late to Japan and Brazil (2 of the biggest markets in asia and SA respectively). On the positive side it may be coming out in china quite soon, which may rev up the boxoffice.

Wow guys I am amazed at the numbers you all r coming up with, I have this movie at 270-300 overseas but I can't see it doing more than double what SR did (191) even with nolan's name, market expansion and addition of 3D. OS audiences are usually slow with reboots but go insane with successful sequels (STID is an unfortunate exception since it was a good movie IMO).

Also some of the release dates are iffy, for example its coming out in russia (a big market) on the same date that MU is and animated movies are usually BIG in russia. The film is also coming in very late to Japan and Brazil (2 of the biggest markets in asia and SA respectively). On the positive side it may be coming out in china quite soon, which may rev up the boxoffice.

With the success of TA, TDKR, to a lesser extent, TASM last year; and IM3 this year, it shows that superhero movies have entered a new height in popularity OS now. Even more so than the Raimi's Spider Man trilogy era. Superman is also a well-known figure, if WB know how to handle the marketing OS well, together with 3D and expanded markets, I can see it break out on a small scale. 400M is doable, with good chances to go even higher.

Russia release date is not that bad really, cause according to Juni (resident poster in Russia thread), Pixar animations are not big over there. Also, TA and IM3 success had boosted the profile of superhero movies over there.

Not sure about Japan, but wasn't August the month when they're gonna have a national holiday season/festival of some kinds? TA was released in Japan late too, on August last year and it did great. 

I don't know anything about Brazil though, don't know why they couldn't have released MOS at the same time as other Latin America region. But is piracy a big problem over there? If not, it shouldn't matter much. For comparison, I remembered Cap grossed 20M in Brazil, TASM 30M; MOS could certainly do somewhere in that range.

I wouldn't count on China though, nothing's sure with the release dates over there. IM3's date is announced like 2 days before, and it was almost screwed over despite being a co-production. Still, I can see MOS gross 40M+ in China.

• Like 2

With the success of TA, TDKR, to a lesser extent, TASM last year; and IM3 this year, it shows that superhero movies have entered a new height in popularity OS now. Even more so than the Raimi's Spider Man trilogy era. Superman is also a well-known figure, if WB know how to handle the marketing OS well, together with 3D and expanded markets, I can see it break out on a small scale. 400M is doable, with good chances to go even higher.

Russia release date is not that bad really, cause according to Juni (resident poster in Russia thread), Pixar animations are not big over there. Also, TA and IM3 success had boosted the profile of superhero movies over there.

Not sure about Japan, but wasn't August the month when they're gonna have a national holiday season/festival of some kinds? TA was released in Japan late too, on August last year and it did great. 

I don't know anything about Brazil though, don't know why they couldn't have released MOS at the same time as other Latin America region. But is piracy a big problem over there? If not, it shouldn't matter much. For comparison, I remembered Cap grossed 20M in Brazil, TASM 30M; MOS could certainly do somewhere in that range.

I wouldn't count on China though, nothing's sure with the release dates over there. IM3's date is announced like 2 days before, and it was almost screwed over despite being a co-production. Still, I can see MOS gross 40M+ in China.

I hope you're right Sam, I honestly think a 300 million + is nothing to sneeze at, I personally would be very happy with the number.

As for Brazil, I hear that the confederation cup (pre-football/soccer world cup warm up tournament) is being held in brazil around june thus the delay in release, that's just speculation though.

• Like 1

WB for some reason hasn't yet embraced the OS early release for tent pole releases, the earliest it comes out in any country is the 12th June, the UK is day and date with the US.

But are early releases really an advantage? I haven't been following BO for long, I only know that the release pattern that Disney employ for TA, and then IM3 worked wonders. Sony looks to follow it next year with TASM2, let's see if it will work out for them.

Are there any other examples that early OS release helped tentpole movies?

But are early releases really an advantage? I haven't been following BO for long, I only know that the release pattern that Disney employ for TA, and then IM3 worked wonders. Sony looks to follow it next year with TASM2, let's see if it will work out for them.Are there any other examples that early OS release helped tentpole movies?

Depends, I think it worked in the UK with Star Trek, Fast and Furious 6 and Iron Man 3 as it gave each film more breathing room to perform. Universal released Battleship a few weeks earlier than the US and it was fairly successful same with Obilvion. Sony releasing TASM2 in April in most places could work to their advantage since its the start of the Easter holidays. The early OS release didn't start with Marvel, QoS was released in many places two weeks before the US release.I think WB may experiment an early OS release with a future title, a DC film might be the first to do so. Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Depends, I think it worked in the UK with Star Trek, Fast and Furious 6 and Iron Man 3 as it gave each film more breathing room to perform. Universal released Battleship a few weeks earlier than the US and it was fairly successful same with Obilvion. Sony releasing TASM2 in April in most places could work to their advantage since its the start of the Easter holidays. The early OS release didn't start with Marvel, QoS was released in many places two weeks before the US release.I think WB may experiment an early OS release with a future title, a DC film might be the first to do so.

:P  I know that, it's just that I recently followed BO, and the early release for TA and IM3 worked well to their advantage so I mentioned them cause they stuck out to me. Thor has the same release pattern in 2011 too, but I don't think it worked out that well; good enough for a new property though.

Thank you for the explanation and examples  :D

I must say in SA, there isn't that much hype for this movie.Most of the major marketing seems concentrated in the US.

Do you know how other superhero movies did over there? For reference and comparison purposes  :) Thanks.

:P  I know that, it's just that I recently followed BO, and the early release for TA and IM3 worked well to their advantage so I mentioned them cause they stuck out to me. Thor has the same release pattern in 2011 too, but I don't think it worked out that well; good enough for a new property though. Thank you for the explanation and examples  :D

Captain America wasn't released early OS due to the release of DHII, it'll be interesting to see if the sequel gets an early release as well as Guardians of the Galaxy.

Do you know how other superhero movies did over there? For reference and comparison purposes  :) Thanks.

Not in terms of hard numbers, no.However, when Superman Returns came out, hype for the movie was everywhere. Massive billboards and constant previews was the order of the day. MoS seems more muted
  • Like 1

Why won't it open in #1? It looks to be opening in about 15 countries along with the U.S. Release date.

When I posted that, FF6 was still supposed to open on June 8 in China. The holiday here runs 6.10~6.12. And FF6 could do $50M from China alone for that week. Combined with AU, and rest of the world, FF6 could do close to $100M that weekend. (in China, weekend box office reported as weekly box office). I do not think MoS can open to $100M from these markets through the 6.14 weekend. So I said that ...

But now since FF6 was moved here, MoS will certainly open to #1 OS that weekend.

When I posted that, FF6 was still supposed to open on June 8 in China. The holiday here runs 6.10~6.12. And FF6 could do $50M from China alone for that week. Combined with AU, and rest of the world, FF6 could do close to $100M that weekend. (in China, weekend box office reported as weekly box office). I do not think MoS can open to $100M from these markets through the 6.14 weekend. So I said that ...

But now since FF6 was moved here, MoS will certainly open to #1 OS that weekend.

:bop:

Legendary East and China Film Co. Sign Multi-Year Production Agreement

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/legendary-east-china-film-sign-560663

Holy shit ! That's big news. The biggest coproduction step so far in China's film industry.

And now we know why Man of Steel is getting a June 20 release while FF6 was dumbed ...