Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

This looks to be a premium summer movie spectacle that folks want to see. 

It will do more than $450 million everyone is predicting. It could hit $600 million OS.

Seriously its predictions like that causes mass fanboy meltdowns and disappointments! Regardless of the addition of 3D, the market expansions, Nolan's name, WB fantastic marketing etc,,,,,,its just unrealistic to expect the superman franchise to go from 191 mill OS to 600 mill, such jumps simply don't happen for reboots.

I honestly believe this film will do SR numbers (with added 3D and market expansions) WW , but will hopefully stand out from its predecessor in the sense that people will like this film and will look forward to the sequel where the real money starts coming in.

Seriously its predictions like that causes mass fanboy meltdowns and disappointments! Regardless of the addition of 3D, the market expansions, Nolan's name, WB fantastic marketing etc,,,,,,its just unrealistic to expect the superman franchise to go from 191 mill OS to 600 mill, such jumps simply don't happen for reboots.

I honestly believe this film will do SR numbers (with added 3D and market expansions) WW , but will hopefully stand out from its predecessor in the sense that people will like this film and will look forward to the sequel where the real money starts coming in.

Nobody remembers SR. When was that? 6, no 7 freakin' years ago! 

I don't know but it's not football, there is nothing happening this summer.

Well, it is not too important, but FIFA Confederations Cup starts next weekend. It involves to Brazil, Mexico, Uruguay, Italy, Tahiti, Japan, Nigeria and Spain.

The Amazing Spider-man did 490 last year

Yeah but you have to remember that the spiderman franchise was already an established monster overseas and ASM benefited from that good will, while superman's hasn't had a major hit since superman 2 more than 30 year ago.

Edited by messipotamia

Yeah but you have to remember that the spiderman franchise was already an established monster overseas and ASM benefited from that good will, while superman's hasn't had a major hit since superman 2 more than 30 year ago.

I know there are no precedents, but the style of movie that trailers are selling is extremely loved by certain OS audiences: massive action, fights and destruction, beyond 3D

I know there are no precedents, but the style of movie that trailers are selling is extremely loved by certain OS audiences: massive action, fights and destruction, beyond 3D

Star Trek also had fantastic visual effects and action scenes. Sci-Fi movies like it usually do great overseas. But it didn't because it's a mostly American product. Superman is mostly an American product also. I'm predicting 305M OS, there is no way it's going to surpass ASM OS total or come close. Spiderman franchise has proven worldwide appeal, not Superman.

Star Trek also had fantastic visual effects and action scenes. Sci-Fi movies like it usually do great overseas. But it didn't because it's a mostly American product. Superman is mostly an American product also. I'm predicting 305M OS, there is no way it's going to surpass ASM OS total or come close. Spiderman franchise has proven worldwide appeal, not Superman.

I think Star Trek and Superman are different cases. Since both are "very American", Superman is an universal icon. The "S" is very well-known everywhere (for instance, superman is recognized by Spanish Academy Language as a valid word).

Maybe Superman has not exploded OS previously (although, as an example, Superman 78 is still the biggest SH movie ever in Spain). But we must remember that last Superman had a 51-49 DOM/OS ratio. That was 7 years ago, without 3D (extremely beloved by OS audiences) and without expanding markets. If MoS is headed to 300 DOM, it just needs a 43-57 ratio in order to reach 400 OS and having into account how OS behaviour has changed in last years I think that is really attainable.

I think Star Trek and Superman are different cases. Since both are "very American", Superman is an universal icon. The "S" is very well-known everywhere (for instance, superman is recognized by Spanish Academy Language as a valid word). Maybe Superman has not exploded OS previously (although, as an example, Superman 78 is still the biggest SH movie ever in Spain). But we must remember that last Superman had a 51-49 DOM/OS ratio. That was 7 years ago, without 3D (extremely beloved by OS audiences) and without expanding markets. If MoS is headed to 300 DOM, it just needs a 43-57 ratio in order to reach 400 OS and having into account how OS behaviour has changed in last years I think that is really attainable.

Batman (1989) OS - 160M Batman Returns (1992) OS - 103M Batman Forever (1995) OS - 152M Batman & Robin (1997) OS - 131M Batman Begins (2005) OS - 167M (Only 7M more than Batman (1989) which was released 16 years before) Reboots typically don't do well OS. Look at Superman Returns OS (191M). I think MoS will do definently better than that, but not more than double it because it is a reboot like the previous one. The sequel however might very well cross 400M+ OS. What you're predicting, 400-500M OS is too much of an increase for a reboot. I calculated my OS predictions for MoS by adjusting Superman Returns (191M) to 2013 dollars and adding in quality of the trailers and the hype. And the most I see it going overseas is 350M......
  • Like 1