Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

yeah last week the drop was 37% and this week 58% 

Yikes, that's a big drop. I wonder if 20M in Brazil is still possible for MOS. I think it's at around 14M right now?

Because you can't ignore changes in the size of the market, OS grosses are simply not the same as they used to be. To put it in perspective, IM was the 11th biggest film in the year it came out, MOS's gross would have placed it at number 12 last year.

Spidermans numbers were indeed insanely good, more impressive then TDKR.

Spiderman is the most successful SH adjusted at the boxoffice. for a first run by far..2.5 billion from 3 movies and approaching 4 billion with TASM added to the SM success. Also Superman had more to overcome, with horrible movies, its nearly 700+M WW after Superman Returns lack luster amongst GA and Superman 4 flop is outstanding!!. Though I would have loved to have hit 900-1B+ ..:)

No matter MOS2 should do just that and possibly smack around the avengers. :) Stay tuned

Biggest left is Japan. It'll need at least 30M there and I'm not sure that's possible. 

It'll need 40M+ from Japan for any chance at 700M. Current OS markets and US will finish with total around 655M-660M, could be lower. I'm thinking 365M OS (without Japan) and giving it 295M domestic as the absolute high end (I think it's unlikely though, 290-292 sounds like a safer bet)

Edited by Sam

It'll need 40M+ from Japan for any chance at 700M. Current OS markets and US will finish with total around 655M-660M, could be lower. I'm thinking 365M OS (without Japan) and giving it 295M domestic as the absolute high end (I think it's unlikely though, 290-292 sounds like a safer bet)

Think Positive Sam And Dru. You just never know with Supes and Japan..

I'm not sure why people keep making this argument to justify why films like IM1 didn't do that well overseas. SM1 done $400m OS all the way back in 2002, yes it's spider-man etc, but BB didn't manage it, neither did SR. Infact I'd argue that Spider-man has done more to popularise superhero's across the globe then any other single comic book character over the past 10 years.

As to your other points, well none of that changes the fact that MOS has grossed more WW then either of the first 2 Iron Man films.

Well, at the time, Iron Man was a b-lister and when you adjust IM1 and 2 WW gross (dont forget to add in 3-D).its pretty close to MOS. Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 1

Japan may give MoS the last bump it needs.

Last weekend overseas is only $7M (my source is

Mojo, so somebody check other sources), this movie is

slowly grinding to a halt. Brazil is not so hot, so Japan

needs to pick up the slack to carry it to $700M WW. 

It will be a cruel twist of fate for WB to miss 2 milestones

at 2 fronts (DOM $300M, WW $700M) for its most anticipated

new franchise. 

Japan may give MoS the last bump it needs.

Last weekend overseas is only $7M (my source is

Mojo, so somebody check other sources), this movie is

slowly grinding to a halt. Brazil is not so hot, so Japan

needs to pick up the slack to carry it to $700M WW. 

It will be a cruel twist of fate for WB to miss 2 milestones

at 2 fronts (DOM $300M, WW $700M) for its most anticipated

new franchise. 

If they aim for a billion franchise (JL), they should have faced all of these first.

660+mil is fine for me and a good start for MoS ^^

• Like 1

Do you think domestic audiences had more interest in Tasm than Jaws? The Hangover 2 more than Raiders of The Lost Ark? Alice In Wonderland over Forrest Gump? Superman Returns more than Gone With The Wind? 

Interest in films can't be measured by simple grosses when there are several years in between, if you IM numbers compared to its peers, and MOS numbers compared to its peers, then the performance is similar.

But my point is SM1 and even SM3 came out before IM1 and yet still managed huge numbers OS, thereby proving it was possible for a superhero movie to break out big with existing markets.

Think Positive Sam And Dru. You just never know with Supes and Japan..

700WW would be nice  -- but honestly at the way tis' going now even with Japan -- I think $680 WW is more like it.

That's pretty darn good for a start. Can't complaint -- Second best start for a Reboot Franchise. I'm pretty sure MOS2:WF will blow this number out of the water.

• Like 1

But my point is SM1 and even SM3 came out before IM1 and yet still managed huge numbers OS, thereby proving it was possible for a superhero movie to break out big with existing markets.

No one doubts that SM grosses are far more impressive than IM1 (or MOS). The question is between IM1 and MOS, and I think they are pretty comparable.

• Like 1