CJohn

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters OS thread

Was today at midday in an OV viewing. The cinema already had one of those for H&G WH during the week at the evening and do usually only one OV viewing per average movie as far as I know.

AS it was so early it was way cheaper than last time, only 8.5€ instead of 10.90€ (both 3D)

Today was 1/4 to 1/3 full, all rather no teens and probably also no twens (I might have missed one or two, but I didn't see even one young one), some laughter... leaving with smiling faces. 

3rd trend says now even 240T tickets (1st and 2nd Trend estimates were 225T) = position 2.

Paramount has to be thinking on sequel right now. The problem will be bringing Renner back.

I'd be surprised if they weren't considering it. I wonder how they signed him up in the first place, but it sound like he had fun doing the movie.

Paramount has to be thinking on sequel right now. The problem will be bringing Renner back.

I'm not sure how much Paramount had to say during production - afaik the film is a co-production and Paramount was just the biggest player amidst multiple producers (which helped keep cost low I guess). The rights remained with Wirkola I think. But seeing that it'll end up very profitable, I can easily see a sequel along similar production lines.

Everyone was laughing at Hansel & Gretel initially but look who is laughing now? I think this will finish with over $240 million Worldwide on a $50 million production budget. Well-marketed fantasy movies can easily make $200 million Worldwide so the main issue is the budget.

• Like 3

I've always looked at this as less than a poor man version of VAN HELSING. I am completely surprised how it performs so far.

I think the only similarities are:

- they are both comedy orientated (but not the same kind of comedy) and

- they both use 'mechanical spunk' (like steam punk but without the steam) weapons / tools

I've always looked at this as less than a poor man version of VAN HELSING. I am completely surprised how it performs so far.

Why do you say "poor man" - the look?

I haven't seen it yet - maybe I will this week if i find the time - but my sister saw it and enjoyed it; she's a historian with special interest in the middle ages and usually very critical about on-screen representations of historical settings but she thought it was a fun bubble-gum film and got the look and feeling right while not taking itself too seriously.

• Like 2

Why do you say "poor man" - the look?

I haven't seen it yet - maybe I will this week if i find the time - but my sister saw it and enjoyed it; she's a historian with special interest in the middle ages and usually very critical about on-screen representations of historical settings but she thought it was a fun bubble-gum film and got the look and feeling right while not taking itself too seriously.

- The only detail I think looks 'cheap' - better formulated: not well done, are IMHO Mina's hair. Hairline color, also looking a bit to 'pressed on' in the upper parts of the hair's length... something looks too un-natural.

Each other 'design'-detail is simply over the top fun for me. Including the dirt on the children's faces whilst still sleeping at home in their beds (means before they get into their 'interrupted' parts of their lives. Was that spoiler free enough?

- whole family here is history-crazy (son plans to study among another main-subject 'Modern European History'), we had no problem with the changings. But we already experienced the possibility of changed-details-world of e.g. steam punk via books. 

• Like 1

I hope Alternate History is a genre with a big future. Fantasy is fine but being unlimited in scope also limits the interest it can garner. Science Fiction is fine when it comes to show technology that might exist in the future, but does not go against law of of physics (I don't believe in Warp-speed, time-travel, visting aliens). Alternate History might offer interesting settings, that change some historical facts and let imagination run wild. Technology that is ahead of our time combined with old fashioned ways and vice versa.

European co-productions could take up big projects, where teams of authors colaborate in creating a different European world (without an east-west conflict for instance). People could enjoy discovering the diverging realities.