CJohn

Oz: The Great and the Powerful OS thread

Do you know screen numbers of the time BO results were fine and how many your country now (after the closing of the 2nd biggest company) has in total?

If yes, it might help with your frustration to calculate the old results to how much they would have made with the reduced screen numbers (I know, very theoretically and probably very inaccurate) and find new BO results/goals to hope for?

I know 18 theaters closed. We have around 60 theaters right now. Oz would have defeated John Carter with the extra 18 theaters but not by much. 11 million people live here but nobody goes to the movies anymore.

Maybe you should adjust your expectations of the market.

I am not sure what expectations I should have. My only prediction now is seeing our biggest TC (28 theaters) closing. Theaters are empty day after day.

I am not sure what expectations I should have. My only prediction now is seeing our biggest TC (28 theaters) closing. Theaters are empty day after day.

Bomb is a term relative to the other films in the market, if you call everything bombs, than you should adjust your expectations downwards. Portugal seems to be a market similar in size to my own (Israel), and I don't think of everything as bombing here.

Edited by Tower

From time to time we have one of two good results. But February has been completely awful so far. 

January was good with Les Miserables, Django, Lincoln and The Impossible doing well. Our problem is that young adults and teens don't go to the movies anymore. Hansel & Gretel, Warm Bodies and Beautiful Creatures bombed while Die Hard disappointed.

Edited by CJohn

BTW I just checked the Portugal numbers and noticed that Furry Vengeance just opened! WTF that films is 3 years old :huh:

That happens sometimes :lol:

It actually did well considering the delay and the very small number of theaters/shows.

Edited by CJohn

Apparently they greatly overestimated foreign potential of Oz. Who the hell is Oz? Too few people knew and even less cared. Great and the Powerful? That sounds really lame.

I think in Latin america, it might do well enough. Oz is far more popular than Alice (the first movie is a classic, Judy Garland and her ruby shoes, even with stage musical, etc, etc). Hope, it won't dissapoint in all these markets

Edited by Makrciana

Apparently they greatly overestimated foreign potential of Oz. Who the hell is Oz? Too few people knew and even less cared. Great and the Powerful? That sounds really lame.

I don't think so, in Serbia Oz is very succesful.

So this is flopping (I'm allowed, right) overseas... Sad. This might kill the chances of a sequel.

With 200M Dom it would need around 500M OS to gain at least some profit... If it doesn't manage that, no chance.

Japan

Thanks to Corpse:

"Very poor for Oz: The Great and Powerful. I guess it's looking at maybe ¥225 million ($2.4-2.5) for the weekend frame and a 3-day total of ¥275 million ($3 million). It was a very bad idea to open this weekend against Doraemon - should have waited until April or May. This situation is very reminiscent of last July when Brave bombed when opening against Wolf Children"

OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL debuted with $150.2M worldwide--$80.3M domestic, $69.9M Int'l

I was expecting more OS. John Carter opened with 73M OS and less markets.